92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
2/19/14 10:12 a.m.

Mrs dx has potentially expressed a mini vacation in the next couple months. Exploring all tropical options has been very pricey. One idea was to fly into Miami and do the drive from Key West and back but it seems flying into both Key West and Miami are pricey. One option I found was Savannah, Georgia. I found decent flight/hotel/rental car deals on Priceline and have heard some good things about it. This would be a weekend Friday to Sunday trip. What do thee Grm hive say regarding Savannah?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
2/19/14 10:25 a.m.

Think Charleston, SC but a little smaller. I love the area. I'm not up on restaurants, but our car club loved a seafood place called Despositos (or something similar). As with all big cities, a couple of blocks over can get you in a bad area, but don't let that keep you away. A few cool Civil war forts in the area. The Eight Army Air Force museum is at the airport.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/14 11:04 a.m.

Right near Roebling Road

cdowd
cdowd Reader
2/19/14 11:37 a.m.

We had a vacation house on Skidaway Island just outside of Savannah when I was growing up then my parents reitred there. What do you like to do? I have always had a good time out on Tybee Island which is s short drive from downtown. There are tons of good restaurants and bars downtown. The nightlife on congress street can be fun. There is some good river fishing. If there is anything in particular you are interested in let me know and I can get you more info. St patricks day is huge down there.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
2/19/14 11:40 a.m.

Part of our honeymoon was in savannah. Absolutely loved it.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
2/19/14 11:48 a.m.

If you are a history buff at all, I'd recommend this: http://www.nps.gov/fopu/index.htm

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/14 12:42 p.m.

It's a nice area. Their downtown is a lot like Charlestons. The last time we went we stayed at the Eliza Thompson House. http://www.elizathompsonhouse.com/ Not cheap, but a really nice place and walking distance to the river front.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/19/14 12:47 p.m.

It's a great place. We spent a weekend at a B&B on Tybee Island. It was a lot of fun.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/19/14 1:59 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: It's a nice area. Their downtown is a lot like Charlestons. The last time we went we stayed at the Eliza Thompson House. http://www.elizathompsonhouse.com/ Not cheap, but a really nice place and walking distance to the river front.

Stayed at the same b&b many years ago. It was very nice.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
2/19/14 3:27 p.m.

Fun place and beautiful. River Street is a must-do but kind of touristy. The best English pub in the south is in Savannah but not on river street, be sure to stop in for a pint. Lots of historical sights. Plenty of ghost ours if you're in to that sort of thing. Amazing architecture and beautiful parks for strolling. Stay in the older downtown area if you can afford to, driving around is a frustrating experience due to antique street layouts and godawful bumpy antique roads.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/14 6:59 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: It's a great place. We spent a weekend at a B&B on Tybee Island. It was a lot of fun.

I love Tybee.. be sure to check out Fort Pulaski

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/19/14 7:43 p.m.

Lots of cool bars...ghost tours around the city.....awesome food. Check out a couple of the old cemeteries.

btp76
btp76 Reader
2/19/14 10:01 p.m.

I've traveled a lot. My favorite restaurant, hands down, is Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah. You can get there an hour early and be seated when they open, or wait in line for an hour any other time. It's totally worth it. Read, or, at least, watch Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before you go. It makes it fun to know of the towns eccentricities while you're there. Also, there is a lost, unexploded nuclear bomb somewhere off of Tybee island. I told my kids not to worry about it 'cause if it went off they'd never have a chance to know it.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
2/20/14 8:34 a.m.

The city of Savannah is open container so if you like to bar hop you can bounce around from one to another and get a drink to go, which comes in a plastic cup for your walk to the next. There is also a lot of history so be sure to take one of the trolly tours it is well worth the money since you can get on and off all day long basically using it as a shuttle service as well as giving you a lot of knowledge about the area. Walking ghost tour at night is great too, lots of grave sites to go to and spooky bars. We love going there and always have a great time, worth the extra bucks to stay downtown, or close to it although parking is usually extra. Go to jones street supposedly where the saying keeping up with the jones's came from. There have been many movies filmed there so its fun to see all the spots that are in iconic movies like Forrest Gump and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Contact me if you want more specific information.

I have yet to get to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House but it is a must stop if you can, the food is supposed to be amazing. Also I would stay away from the restaurants on River St they are mostly tourist traps so the food is so, so.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
2/20/14 8:51 a.m.

Cross the bridge. There is a public road that is also a race track. Make two laps, leave. Don't stay any longer than that or you'll get a visit from the local police.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ALO1MqG4VzPt8VBhOxl8KhV6pY5n9crdnN93lCoOY50PMLxknyBwKliXCB3qqhQd