1 2 3
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/15/18 8:47 a.m.

I don't have any cover letters/resume examples, but this site:

https://www.theladders.com/

is a good resource.  Look through their free articles.  They have a bunch of good stuff.  They also offer professional assistance. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/18 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

linkedin

build your network and post your resume.  if your experience is anything like mine, headhunters will start sending you invites within minutes, usually because they have a position to fill.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/15/18 9:23 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

So, how do i find listings and recruiters these days? Ive always been hired from the job i had via the work i do. I answered a want ad a few times, and walked into places with help wanted signs. This seems like those tactics dont apply, and my attemptswith indeed, charlottehelpwanted.com, etc just waste my time as i can't get by the computers. 

Additionally, is there a few good examples of the cover letter so i know what im writing? I mean, i can erite a wicked craigslist ad or short story, but those ain't cover letters. 

indeed.com and LinkedIn seem to be the best. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/15/18 9:25 a.m.

Side note: I was also an insurance adjuster for State Farm straight out of college. I got tired of telling people bad news all the time, IE, sorry that's not covered, or that is more than the limits of your policy...........which also turns into them yelling at you.

But I worked specifically theft claims and personal article policy claims.

Lots of phone calls where someone had their work truck broken into, thousands and thousands in tools stolen, for me to have to tell them the best I can do under the policy is send them $1000.

AngryCorvair
10/15/18 9:45 a.m.

my comments in bold:

Right now i do housing and crisis intervention for mental health.  demonstrated success in developing and implementing logical goal-oriented response to urgent customer needs.   

Overthe years, ive tought vocational rehab, Responsible for training X (number of) people _____ skills in _____fields to enable their return to workplace, etc

run 4 facilities while managing 60+ employees, Add some bullet points specifying what it meant for you to run these facilities, ie  *Selected and Managed X (number of) service providers with total annual budget of $YYY to achieve ___ (goals / tasks) ON TIME AND UNDER BUDGET <--- if true

done one on one skill building with spmi adults, etc. I know how to fix cars, work in mental health, make furniture, and work with people.  Equally capable working with individuals, groups, and facilities/equipment for long-term success

Ive had jobs in landscaping, sales, customer service, construction, auto parts, run my own buisness illegally, did prep work and autobody for cash, etc.   Documented success following existing processes as well as creating and implementing new processes to strengthen the company and secure future opportunities

But i need something different. Can't be a desk jockey or office dweller, as i am not suited to that. Being out and about, managing things via cell phone and car, moving and hustling are how im happiest.   A "boots on the ground" problem-solver, at my best in a field environment

<<snip>> 17 years of hustling/working multiple jobs at once/dealing with the human wreckage and dwelling in the dark corners that most people only see on tv. A career where a bad day at work means somebody died, became homeless, got put away for a while, etc. A career where theres never aby long term payoff, no thanks, no rest, no clocking out for the day/night/weekend/holiday. Im at the highest my education will take me, and i hate it....  this is cover letter and interview stuff.   remember, the resume doesn't tell your whole story, it just gives enough highlights to make them say "i want to know more about this guy".   also, instead of "a bad day means somebody died etc..." could/should be flipped to say "a good day was when nobody died/lost housing,etc, and the best days were when i contributed to someone finding their way to a better ___ (job, career, state of well-being, etc)."

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
10/15/18 9:49 a.m.

Not sure if this idea would interest you, but at the school where I work just about every building has its own facilitator.  These folks are the point people for making sure the facilities work properly, and coordinate repairs when they don’t.

So they have a good mix of field work and desk duty.  And people with good mechanical skills and/or knowledge of how buildings actually work are few and far between in my experience.  So I would guess you would really stand out compared to other applicants.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/18 10:02 a.m.

Duster, you are an empath and it's sometimes tough to navigate what you want with what the job gives back to you.  I'm very much like that.

I know you said you wanted to get out of the field, but have you considered just something completely different in your current field?  Being an empath in your position (which sounds primarily like social work) can be more taxing than rewarding.  Have you thought about getting your Master's in Counseling?  Become a licensed therapist and then you can really work one-on-one with people at truly improving their lives.  In some ways it would be a complete departure from your current career, but build on the skills you already have.

In the meantime, ditch the current job and use one of your other skills to pay the bills.  With your psych background there is a good chance that some of your credits will count for advanced programs and your many years in the field may even qualify as satisfying internship requirements.  Not to mention, with your background, you're a shoe-in for admissions, grants, financial aid, the works.  You're an online university's golden child.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/15/18 11:59 a.m.

I vote AngryCorvair for Spinmiester 2018!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/18 12:09 p.m.

Construction usually requires pretty much no resumes, ive worked for 14 different companies and never had a resume.

Plus the trades are desperate for people, you say you have experience and usually they pay well(no idea what you made before/now though)

AngryCorvair
10/15/18 12:36 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

I vote AngryCorvair for Spinmiester 2018!

Spin recognizes spin, LOL.   FWIW, I'll be happier to wear that title when Duster comes back in 6 weeks and tells us he landed a sweet field-based job with better pay and better benefits.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
10/15/18 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Others here have explained how to get past the HR bots.  Write your resume almost exactly what the requirements listed are.  Send it and wait  few days and resend it.  Keep doing that.  Flood the job market not just places listing openings but every industry you might be interested in.  

As for turning experience in one area into qualifications in another look at ways to quickly explain how the Skills are similar or identical 

With 3.7 % unemployment there are likely to be some extremely tolerant places but don’t expect a pay raise. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/15/18 4:36 p.m.

So, just because im burned out doesn't mean i wont bust my ass for my employer.  Been a really busy and long day.

Anyway, angrycorvair: can i hire you to spin my whole resume? I haven't ever used half those words, and wouldn't think how to implement them throughout a whole resume....

Frenchy: honestly, i could care less about getting a raise. Peace of mind and some joy of life back would be enough for me. I just cant financially do WORSE.

Curtis: ive thought about it.  However, the two times i did go back i had fundamental disagreement ls with the philosophy and perspectives of the programs. My experience has been vastly different than what those at the university had, if they had any practical beyond internships. 

Our county school system is garbage. They have 6 maintenance guys for every building in the county, and those guys don't get much above poverty level pay. Teachers get paid better....

Svrex: haven't had a chance to call yet. Hopefully after getting the munchkin to scouts and i get a phone charger. 

Did i miss anyone?

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
10/15/18 6:03 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Sorry I didn’t explain myself well.  I was thinking of the college/university level.  They tend to have deeper pockets ;-)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/15/18 6:13 p.m.

Facilities management sucks. 

AngryCorvair
10/15/18 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Send your resume in Word to

patrick dot caherty at gmail dot com

and I'll work my magic on it tomorrow morning.  

When I got laid off from TRW in 2008, part of my severance package was a 2-day resume writing class.  I learned lots of good stuff.  Hey, I stole your #13 for the Challenge, it's the least I can do.  And if I help you get a new job, and a new job helps you do more drive a beater threads, well, I'm making the world a better place.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
10/15/18 11:21 p.m.

Emailed you back. 

Work is a bit nuts because of the hurricane so it's 12 hour days currently.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/16/18 6:51 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Send your resume in Word to

patrick dot caherty at gmail dot com

and I'll work my magic on it tomorrow morning.  

When I got laid off from TRW in 2008, part of my severance package was a 2-day resume writing class.  I learned lots of good stuff.  Hey, I stole your #13 for the Challenge, it's the least I can do.  And if I help you get a new job, and a new job helps you do more drive a beater threads, well, I'm making the world a better place.

You have mail 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/16/18 8:25 a.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

Got it. Ill call you tonight 

Others: im working on the LinkedIn profile.  Interesting way of doing things, but hopefully a good payoff.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/16/18 8:34 a.m.

Lots of good advice.  I'll suggest a book that helped me many years ago..  

https://www.amazon.com/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2019/dp/0399581685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539696790&sr=8-1&keywords=what+color+is+your+parachute+2019

It's a time honored classic.  Is it perfect.. no.. but it works.  

It's important you find a fit in your career and not just a job.  Be targeted and get what will make you satisfied. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/16/18 8:42 a.m.

I personally think cover letters do more harm than help. I've never read one and thought "we need to get this guy in for an interview", but I have read some and thought "wow, their spelling and grammar are horrible, next". Also, if my resume didn't read like the job description, the only way I've ever gotten an interview was by knowing someone in the company. So figure out who you know and where, and start networking.

One thing you may want to consider is becoming a lineman for Duke. My uncle does it, two of my cousins are in the apprenticeship program. Starting pay isn't great, but if you're willing to work overtime it is almost always available.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/16/18 8:51 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Lots of good advice.  I'll suggest a book that helped me many years ago..  

https://www.amazon.com/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2019/dp/0399581685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539696790&sr=8-1&keywords=what+color+is+your+parachute+2019

It's a time honored classic.  Is it perfect.. no.. but it works.  

It's important you find a fit in your career and not just a job.  Be targeted and get what will make you satisfied. 

Seconding this. 

I'll also recommend that you take 40 minutes and listen to this guy on interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nDY0b5I_gk

Here is his book, buy it used: https://www.amazon.com/Removing-Doubt-Interview-Approach-Getting/dp/1441501835

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/18 9:21 a.m.

I'm with you re: the fundamentals of philosophy disagreements.  I'm taking the science and psychology and applying it in my own way once I become a licensed therapist.  The point is to use my education to help people.  I don't have to use a textbook method for that.  Kind of like learning math using common core and then just going back to long division as an adult.

Looks like you're getting good advice.  Stay shiny, find what you love, let me know if I can help.  I wish I had the budget to hire you at the theater.  Building sets is always something new and an engineering challenge every day.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/16/18 4:43 p.m.

You've got kids right? 

I'd be worried about some of the jobs being suggested impacting your ability to be home every night, or at least be home when the kiddo has a soccer game or other type of event that you want to attend. 

I know linemen are usually union, and as a result have pretty good schedules, but when SHTF (like after a hurricane) you're gonna be staying in a hotel for a few weeks. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/18 10:40 a.m.

State or Charlotte municipal jobs?

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/18 10:57 a.m.

Here's some more info.  I worked for 21 years in NYC service.  Most of it was good.  Civil service/Govt. jobs sometimes are hard to beat.   https://careers.charlottenc.gov/psp/ER92PRD/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C6wk6zy9g4LDLCK6Z2hkJ1ixSDWGWoiwZ27YbvDyhLxx0EC7x0AYD8QiibiK5dyl