1 2
DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/16/18 6:42 p.m.

I'm about to embark on an overly ambitious Challenge build that will require cutting rectangular tubing reasonably accurately. I'm not looking for anything of a commercial grade, probably the lower end stuff from the big box stores or H.F.  Anyone have a favourite brand they've used themselves? What should I be looking for? Avoiding?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/18 6:44 p.m.

I have a ryobi one.  My dad has the harbor freight one.  His has a stamped base therefore is top heavy.  Mine has a cast iron base and is way more stable.  I’m going to be in Michigan next weekend if you don’t mind me stopping by to say hi

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/16/18 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

If you're in the neighbourhood please do stop by.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/16/18 7:08 p.m.

I have the HF one.  It works well for exhaust fab.  I can see what Patrick is saying.  I don't do enough with it that I would have noticed.

I got a cutting disk from HF and it runout was crazy.  Super scary when you actually went to cut something.  I returned that and got a different one.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/16/18 7:08 p.m.

I use a Ryobi miter saw, as sold for wood, with a metal cutting abrasive disk.  I've cut enough stainless for the space frames for 2 cars with it and it is still going strong.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/16/18 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

Do you remember what brand the disk is? I'll bet I can find a used miter saw on Craigslist for less than a new chop saw (maybe not less than HF though).

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/18 8:15 p.m.

My harbor freight one is terrible. I hate it. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/16/18 8:26 p.m.

I think the disks are Dewalt.  They have a yellow label.  I buy them at either Homo Depot or Lowe's; they both sell them.  10", if I recall, whatever a miter saw takes, and they are like $5-6.  Like I said, I've chewed up a bunch of 304 stainless with it, plus carbon steel. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/16/18 10:04 p.m.

I have a Porter Cable that uses a carbide blade instead of abrasive.  I love it, even when people don't use the vice properly and knock teeth off the blade.  

TL:DR version: carbide is great but expensive.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
5/16/18 11:16 p.m.

I've had the evolution rage 3 for over a decade.... it's not awesome, but it's pretty good. 10" sliding compound miter- get a metal cutting blade and it's pretty special.  I've also cut a crapton of flooring with a finish blade and it cuts beautifully even with the slower blade speed.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/17/18 7:11 a.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Do chop saws run at a different (lower?) speed than a typical miter saw?

EvanB
5/17/18 7:22 a.m.
DeadSkunk said:

In reply to Teh E36 M3 :

Do chop saws run at a different (lower?) speed than a typical miter saw?

The ones that use the carbide tipped metal cutting blades do. 

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/18 7:32 a.m.

I always thought that using a wood one w/ an abrasive blade = death. Hmmm..

Patrick
5/17/18 8:27 a.m.

Also don’t discount a metal cutting circular saw with a carbide blade.  I have one, it’s a heavy monster but with a square clamped to the tube for a fence you can make a very clean cut, and it’s way more versatile because you can buy 4x8 sheets of steel and cut them with it

EvanB
5/17/18 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I hadn't thought of that. I use mine for cutting sheets of metal but never tried it for tubing. I'll have to give that a shot. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/17/18 8:37 a.m.

Based on a sample of two different cut-off saws that have the same issue, the princess auto ones develop a reluctance to pierce a flat surface. Maybe someone here can explain.

If I am cutting a large piece of square tube, I have no issue if I mount it in the vice so that the cut starts on a corner. If I hold it the proper way so it lies flat, the blade just runs on the flat surface making heat. IF I can get it to pierce, it will then cut ok, albeit with more slant that I usually want.

If and when I buy another one, I will get the carbide dry saw version as I understand they leave a square cut and the dust is minimized.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/18 9:01 a.m.

What carbide discs do you guys recommend?

I have a Dewalt chop saw with Dewalt abrasive blades.  I've been very happy with it cutting various tubing and even some flat plate stuff, but with the abrasive blades you do have to watch out for what NOHOME was talking about.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/18 9:27 a.m.

I cut aluminum sheet up to 1/8" with my wood circular saw and wood blade. It works better than abrasive blades.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/17/18 9:33 a.m.

I don't know what you guys are cutting, but my little Ryobi has not had a problem cutting through anything I put up on it.  I've never had a problem with the blade not starting to cut right in.  I clamp down whatever I'm cutting, and I can cut very accurately with it, like to within maybe 10 thousands with the abrasive blades.  I think that a miter saw gives better control than a chop saw, but that's just from using the miter saw and looking at chop saws.  The biggest I've cut is probably 4x4x11ga carbon steel tubing.  Otherwise, everything from 16ga 3/4" round 304 to 2x2x1/8" 304, and a whole lot of 1" square 304 and some 4"x1/8" 304 plate.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
5/17/18 10:38 a.m.

My 14" dewalt loves to trip 15A breakers on full tilt boogie but it will cut anything you throw at it.  

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/17/18 12:32 p.m.

Rage cold cut saw.  I can use it for steel, aluminum, wood, or whatever.  

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/17/18 1:17 p.m.

What is the rage 10" doing that the ryobi 10" isn't? Slower speed?

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
5/17/18 1:45 p.m.

No experience with other brands but I got the Evolution 14" Rage2 multi purpose chop saw from Home Depot and have used it with the blade it came with, I love it. 

Patrick
5/19/18 11:34 a.m.

Mr skunk of death,

My number is 330 two four two zero 771. I sent you a pm but don’t know if it went through.  Believe i’ll be in the neighborhood next Saturday 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/19/18 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

PM didn't go through , but I'll be here next Saturday. I'll PM you the address.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L2kOLUm0tdtNfFPGkKB9MjJrh9nSCbsXW00duvXKXE0V5F5p7BXunKcvKGAV2jnB