1 2 3
STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/21/21 10:22 a.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

When I see that, I really hope that the concept spreads down products.  I'd love to have a hybrid Escape that I can tow with.  Or even a Maverick pickup.  We don't really have the space (or want) to have our only vehicle be an F150.

Pretty sweet, and thanks for trying to help with the profit sharing check.

How much trickle down is realistic in your opinion? It seems like the hybrids that tow all have longitudinal engine layouts and electric motors augmenting fairly traditional automatic transmissions in RWD/AWD packages.

The hybrids concerned with fuel efficiency tend to be transverse ICE layouts with cvts that are primarily FWD. I'm not sure how much of the tech could be transferred without new vehicle platforms/massive reconfiguration (See Explorer switching to longitudinal/RWD layout with the most recent redesign).

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/21 10:38 a.m.
yupididit said:

That's nice! What trim?

It's a pretty decked out XLT Powerboost hybrid.

Options of note:
* 302A high / sport package
* max tow package
* Pro Power 7.2kw generator (can't wait to use this track side)
* upgraded sound system w/sync 4
* towing mirrors
* on board scales with smart hitch (these are way too fun)
* 360 camera
* tail gate step (this seems dumb, but it's the best thing ever)
* factory bedliner 

I wanted something comfy for long hauls, especially when towing.  I plan on having this truck a long time, so I did spoil myself a little.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/21 11:10 a.m.

Awesome. I find myself building out the 3.5 powerboost with a lariat trim because I like lots of options lol. Loaded XLT's come with a lot too! 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/21/21 11:10 a.m.
STM317 said:
alfadriver said:

When I see that, I really hope that the concept spreads down products.  I'd love to have a hybrid Escape that I can tow with.  Or even a Maverick pickup.  We don't really have the space (or want) to have our only vehicle be an F150.

Pretty sweet, and thanks for trying to help with the profit sharing check.

How much trickle down is realistic in your opinion? It seems like the hybrids that tow all have longitudinal engine layouts and electric motors augmenting fairly traditional automatic transmissions in RWD/AWD packages.

The hybrids concerned with fuel efficiency tend to be transverse ICE layouts with cvts that are primarily FWD. I'm not sure how much of the tech could be transferred without new vehicle platforms/massive reconfiguration (See Explorer switching to longitudinal/RWD layout with the most recent redesign).

I really don't know. I do see a huge shift to electrification going on, with a significant shift in resources. It should mean expanded hybrid opportunity. 

For the transverse platform, to tow would mostly mean a stronger motor system, which isn't all that hard, I imagine- there are very capable EV motors out there already. 

For someone like us, if we can go from 15mpg to 20, that's a massive improvement. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
12/21/21 11:50 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I was tempted to do the same, but I didn't want leather.  I priced out the same truck I bought in that trim, and it was still about 5k more.  I was pushing the budget far enough as is.  It's crazy how much you can spend on one of these.

yupididit
12/21/21 12:05 p.m.

See, I prefer leather. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/21/21 1:05 p.m.

One of my work vans is a 2016 15 pax Transit and it has just silly amounts of Go with that ecoboost thing up its nose. The 6 liter Chevy van of the same vintage is left in the dust. So is another  Ford van with the v10. 7k lb van and 15 people in it and towing a trailer and it just doesnt much care. So it's pretty impressive in that regard. Since at least so far the rig isn't giving us any trouble and seems to be doing the job, and since the car market is so nutty right now, I went ahead and ordered up a 2022 awd 10speed tow pckg medium roof version last August and hope to see it here sometime next spring. The only thing that'd be better for what I need it for would be if it was full electric but that ain't offered just yet...

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
12/21/21 1:41 p.m.
dps214 said:

In reply to Schmidlap :

The upshift or downshift is hard? My friend's initially did a thing where if you were cruising at highway speed and planted the throttle it would downshift so hard that it would trigger the traction control. But recently we tried to recreate it a few different times and couldn't, so it seems like it just needed some time for the transmission and/or computer to break in.

It happens on an upshift shortly after a downshift, like an aborted attempt to squeeze into a hole in traffic, if that makes any sense. What happens is I'll be driving along at about 35 mph, see an opening in traffic and floor it but by the time the truck has downshifed and started accelerating the opening will have disappeared so I let off the gas. The truck dropped from 8th gear to 3rd or 4th (I'm pulling numbers out of my butt here) and was only in the lower gear building speed for about a second before I let off the gas. Instead of smoothly shifting back up to 8th gear it slams into 8th pretty hard, hard enough for passengers to ask what happened. If I give it enough gas to keep it in the lower gear for more than a couple of seconds it upshifts smoothly when I let off the gas.

It only took a couple of times for that to happen for me to realize I'm probably being an idiot so now I only give it half throttle until I'm absolutely sure I will be accelerating for more than a couple seconds.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/22/21 9:21 a.m.

There is a TSB on the transmission control panel to address the shifting.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/22/21 9:28 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to SV reX :

I've heard the 10spd is a little more undecided with what gear it wants to be in while towing.

Mine works great when put in to tow mode.   pulls my 21' deck boat like it's not even back there.

yupididit
12/22/21 9:44 a.m.

What kind of mpg are you seeing? 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
12/22/21 1:50 p.m.
yupididit said:

What kind of mpg are you seeing? 

Around town, not taking the highway, I'm at 23-25 mpg.
A little bit of highway, mixed with around town, typically 18-21 mpg.

I'm leaving for Atlanta tomorrow morning, so I'll have a better idea of what a longer haul looks like, but I would expect 18 to 20 mpg.  You can get it to go full electric on the highway for shorter periods of time on flat ground where you are maintaining speed, even at over 65.

Either way, the built in EV coach is really good for squeezing out more distance.

yupididit
12/22/21 5:29 p.m.

That's honestly amazing lol

I barely get 20mpg hwy cause it's hard doing under 80mph here. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/23/21 8:05 a.m.

Seems about right:

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/23/21 9:14 a.m.

When it was empty and well tuned, I was able to get 22 mpg pretty regularly from my EB. (Highway)

neverendingprojectgarage
neverendingprojectgarage New Reader
12/27/21 12:33 p.m.

I get about 22 highway and 18 around town in my 2017 3.5 EB. It's ludicrous for towing, it's like towing with a diesel that has the throttle response of my MK7 GTI (and I'm pretty sure the F150 is actually quicker than the GTI). I usually get about 15mpg towing, which is good enough for me. 

I don't love the seat comfort, but I think that's because of the leather seats in my Lariat. I've driven similar year XLTs with cloth seats that felt more comfortable. Other than that and the worries about having an older turbo motor as the miles rack up, I'm extremely happy with it. 

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
12/29/21 11:29 a.m.

that's a trip from Baltimore Maryland to Canton Georgia, and then returning home through Cumberland Gap back to Baltimore. I'm typically at 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit kind a guy, with the occasional burst to illegal numbers if I have to pass something.

I also calculated mileage at the pump, and the computer in the truck seems to be pretty accurate so far.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
12/30/21 11:23 p.m.

We're 10k in and adore our Powerboost. We're seeing an easy 23 mpg city, and the 7.2kW generator works perfectly with our camper.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
12/31/21 5:52 p.m.
chandler said:

Liking all the f150 love recently, I have a 2018 with a 5.0 10spd. Very capable trucks, on paper the 3.5 and 5.0 are similar and in the 150,000 miles I've had mine it's averaged 18.5 mph. About 17,000 of those miles were towing a trailer. The super crew has the best interior space, really room for five (6 if you don't have the sync console) but it gets you a 5.5' bed which is annoying at times. I wish mine had the bed outlets but it's a stripper.

You can get the Super Crew with a 6.5' bed, ask me how I know :)  It makes for a looong truck but agreed, the extra length is nice.  After my H2 was totaled before Christmas and being unable to find anything I found to be interesting I went with functional and comfortable and ended up with this '17 3.5 EB with the 10 speed.   Initial impressions (just got it yesterday) very comfortable, interior appointments and comfort on par with the Caddys I've owned (with the Lariat package).  Faster than it seems, gotta keep an eye on the speedo because the sensation of speed is lost a bit.  Still a bit pokey on initial acceleration but I understand that can be tuned out.  Not sure I'll bother. 

May be an image of car and road

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JjnViFHYyQGqYhh6mU99Rzf4osWkLVOCGVdCNtvFrTrCuuiM2370bYYx56mZFYHR