We just bought a new house and the cell signal from AT&T sucks massively. My wife and I own our phones outright so I thought maybe now's a good time to switch to Google Fi. I made a handy-dandy spreadsheet that showed me we'd save like $38/month on average moving to Fi from AT&T which is nice. I have a Samsung S10e so I'm not worried about compatibility. Problem is the wife has an iPhone X. Google says Fi is in beta for iPhones but it works ok, you just need to do some trickery with the settings to be able to send texts to non-iPhone users. What I'm looking for are some first hand accounts of using an iPhone on Fi. Does anyone here live with that unholy union?

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/2/20 11:41 a.m.

I bought my son an iPhone 11 and hooked it up to Google Fi.

It works perfect. The only difference is when it comes to accessing his voicemails, he has to use a website. Otherwise you would not know. 

I picked up the SIM card at Best Buy as I needed it right away and Goggle reimburses you for it. In the SIM package are all the instructions to configure the phone. Very simple. 

We did this in March and have not had to update any settings yet. It tells you that once in a while you might need to update them. So far I am impressed, I am on ATT and did it as a test. Thinking of moving my wife's and my phone over. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/2/20 12:19 p.m.

Slippery, can you test to see if he's able to receive picture messages and group messages from non-iphones?

9/2/20 12:23 p.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

I will check tonight. My inlaws have Samsung phones with Verizon, I will have them text him something. 

I know whatsapp works fine though, but I will have him test on the native message app. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/2/20 3:07 p.m.

I have no iPhone/Fi experience, but I have used a "google phone" on Fi for years now. 

It's cheap and reliable. My better half has a newer iPhone on TMobile, I have service when she doesn't even in town. 

EDIT: Fi uses TMobile, that's why I pointed it out. 

9/2/20 4:47 p.m.

Both worked. Group text and picture. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Both worked. Group text and picture. 

Excellent news, thanks to you both for the experiment.

9/2/20 5:44 p.m.

Also, I mentioned he needed to access his vmails through a website. Its actually an app and it will send you a push notification if you have a vmail. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t46xBx5e2FAUEDrKsMsxZXrrgYBVfDOm90LNOK1QhkZrjJcY8YXWbLK2Rs27YzlL