1 2 3 4 ... 11
92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/20/12 10:06 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Another vote for going used, especially with speakers. Just make sure you go over them carefully before buying. I put my whole system together from used components and reckon I saved probably 60%-70% compared to going new. Not that I can recommend any brands over here as all the components are from small UK manufacturers and likely to be stupidly expensive over here.

Like...... Rega?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/20/12 10:30 a.m.
mtn wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Ian F wrote: I didn't see it mentioned, but don't forget good cables. The best speakers and amp in the world will still sound like crap if connected with $10 speaker wire.
However.... BIG +1 on the cables. You don't have to spend a fortune, but 18awg Rat Shack bullE36 M3 need not apply.
Respectfully disagree. Do a google search on "Monster Wire vs. Coat Hanger".

I'm not going to get into a debate over it. I'll just say I've spent a very good deal of time messing with this stuff and have had a lot of gear through the house. I've heard six figure systems many times. My system consists of a Rotel pre-amp from craigslist, a Denon POA 2400 I got from a friend, the AR LST/2s I mentioned earlier and various sources including a Thorens TD124 turntable. Some of that stuff is considered pretty nice. Most of it considered pretty mid-line. Obviously the speakers are vintage. Conventional wisdom would say that speaker technology in particular has advanced so much over the years that my system shouldn't sound good. So I will admit to representing an atypical view of things.

I've had all kinds of cable- interconnects, speaker cable, you name it. I never claimed to have "golden ears" but I'll say it- I can't hear any difference between 18 gauge lamp cord and $200 speaker cable. Same with high end interconnects vs. the cheap ones that come in the box wtih a new piece of gear. It may well be that I just don't have the listening skills to detect the difference. I don't mind if people want to spend money on it and if it makes them happy and sounds better to them that's great. But I can't hear any difference. I use speaker cable from Home Depot.

As for speakers vs. amps- I love to hook my speakers up to my 25 wpc T Amp and iPod. I turn the rest of the gear on so you assume that's what you're listening to. When I show people what's driving the speakers they can't believe it. There was a time when there were really poor sounding amps. I'm sure they're still out there- but $30 can buy a great sounding amp if you aren't looking for a load of power.

A note on T Amps- don't drive them too hard. They go to massive, tweeter killing distortion pretty quickly. Dun them nice and easy and you'll be amazed what they can do.

I understand you want to buy new and I respect that if you stick to your guns. If you're not in a huge hurry, it might be worth while to look on craigslist and just have a listen to some good vintage stuff before you rule out used. ADS, AR, KLH, Genesis, EPI, Alison, Polk, Paradigm, B&W and many other great used speakers are available in that price range. Personally, and this is just my opinion, I don't think there's anything for $300 new that I'd be happy with, but I could find $100 used speakers that I could live with forever. I'd also think it would be worth your while to go to an audio store, as someone else mentioned, and ask if you can just listen to some gear. Tell them you're looking for a system and you want to hear what the difference in various price catagories really sounds like. Try to get a listen to something really good. I heard a pair of Wilson Audio Watt/Puppies. It really changed my idea of what "good sound" was all about. Bass should be deep and you should feel it without crazy levels. Vocals should sound like a person singing. If you "hear" the speakers, they're not that great. Good speakers are transparent. There are plenty of speakers that may not measure perfectly, but they dissapear in the room (sonically). It's all about what sounds good.

Finally, if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters, so don't get to caught up in reviews and audiophile phoolery. Some of it is helpful, a lot is bunk. I strongly recomend that you don't by any speaker you can't audition first.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/20/12 10:34 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Finally, if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters, so don't get to caught up in reviews and audiophile phoolery. Some of it is helpful, a lot is bunk. I strongly recomend that you don't by any speaker you can't audition first.

This. Times eleventy.

mitown
mitown New Reader
1/20/12 2:24 p.m.

Unfortunately there are no audio stores near me. My $300 budget isn't rock solid, so there's a fair amount of wiggle room. I'm considering these Polk Audio Monitor 70's. Do you think that either the BIC Acoustech PL-89 or the Cerwin Vega! VE-12 would be well worth the extra money over the Polks for a non audiophile? Would the HK receiver I mentioned earlier work well with any of these speakers?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/20/12 2:26 p.m.

Those speakers might be (are probably? Never heard them in person) better than the Polks, but I highly doubt that they would be worth the extra money to you.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/20/12 2:37 p.m.

I would put the Polks over either of those speakers.

I would also suggest trolling CL for sure.

Where in WA are you? I'll give it a quick combing to see if there's anything that jumps out at me.

mitown
mitown New Reader
1/20/12 2:39 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Wenatchee

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/20/12 2:44 p.m.
mitown wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Wenatchee

Damn, you're in the middle of nowhere!

Where can i look on this page?

Didn't find much for Wenatchee.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/wa

mitown
mitown New Reader
1/20/12 2:46 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Moses Lake and Yakima

heyduard
heyduard Reader
1/20/12 3:29 p.m.
mitown wrote: Unfortunately there are no audio stores near me. My $300 budget isn't rock solid, so there's a fair amount of wiggle room. [snip] Would the HK receiver I mentioned earlier work well with any of these speakers?

Parts-Express has decent pricing for floor standers as well. And a money back guarantee, as they know it's mail-order, sight unseen.

The new Pioneer SP-FS51-LR's are garnering very good reviews and the price is right at $200 at PE.

The HK receiver should work fine with most of todays speakers. Just make sure the highest output wattage of the amp doesn't exceed the wattage limit of the speakers. and that the amp can drive the resistive load of the speakers.

And if you want to roll your own, check out Paul Carmody's site for some ideas. There are many resources and sites for DIY speakers.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/20/12 3:49 p.m.
mitown wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Moses Lake and Yakima

These would be worth looking into.... see if you can find out which model they are:

http://kpr.craigslist.org/ele/2792928348.html

So would these: http://kpr.craigslist.org/ele/2744203403.html

mitown
mitown New Reader
1/20/12 5:00 p.m.

I tried calling but nobody answered. That is probably best anyway as it over a 100 miles to Richland. Thank you for looking. I will probably go with a pair of Polk Monitor 70's on eBay.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/20/12 5:03 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paradigm-Cinema-Phantom-v-3-Tower-Monitor-Speakers-Big-Sound-Free-Shipping-/120824461293?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1c21b2f7ed

?

Those would blow the Polk 70s out of the water all day, every day.

I had a set of these before i got my Legends, they were pretty impressive. Incredible imaging.

mitown
mitown New Reader
1/20/12 5:27 p.m.

I was stretching what I wanted to spend to get the 70's, $500 is to much money. If you could find me something used in the $300-$400 range that would be better than the Polk's I would greatly appreciate it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 5:29 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
BoxheadTim wrote: Another vote for going used, especially with speakers. Just make sure you go over them carefully before buying. I put my whole system together from used components and reckon I saved probably 60%-70% compared to going new. Not that I can recommend any brands over here as all the components are from small UK manufacturers and likely to be stupidly expensive over here.
Like...... Rega?

Cyrus for the amps[1] and CD player, KEF of the speakers. Not high end, but it's a nice middle class system that doesn't take up too much space. And it sounds rather good.

Once we're back in a slightly bigger house I'll put the whole thing up in my office space again.

[1] Call me a pervert but I've got a Cyrus 1 amp in "distressed condition" hooked up to my desktop at home and the amp plus a pair of JBL Control Ones pretty much blow away most computer speakers I've heard.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/20/12 5:57 p.m.

Since we're on the subject, I have a set of Polk Monitor7's that I'd happily let a GRMer have for $100 plus shipping. I love them, but I want something that packs more bottom end punch and capable of the deep harmonics found in dubstep.

mitown
mitown New Reader
1/20/12 6:07 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Since we're on the subject, I have a set of Polk Monitor7's that I'd happily let a GRMer have for $100 plus shipping. I love them, but I want something that packs more bottom end punch and capable of the deep harmonics found in dubstep.

Consider me very interested. What kind of shape are they in? Could you email me pictures? How much do you think it would be for shipping to 98822?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/20/12 6:11 p.m.
mitown wrote: Unfortunately there are no audio stores near me. My $300 budget isn't rock solid, so there's a fair amount of wiggle room. I'm considering these Polk Audio Monitor 70's. Do you think that either the BIC Acoustech PL-89 or the Cerwin Vega! VE-12 would be well worth the extra money over the Polks for a non audiophile? Would the HK receiver I mentioned earlier work well with any of these speakers?

I'm afraid I'm not real up on the more modern stuff, so some of my observations may no longer be true. Historically, Polk makes speakers that are voiced in a way I like. Very neutral. Those who don't like that sound call it "laid back". Some prefer a sharper sound and Cerwin Vega, again, at least historically, deliver that. I've never been a fan, but many are.

I'm not familiar with the BIC speakers. I actually did a poke around on the Best Buy site earler today, prompted by this thread. I looked at some of the specs and wasn't impressed, but that doesn't mean they don't sound good. With no more info, I'd say go Polk, but it would be really good to have a listen to them all first.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/20/12 6:13 p.m.
mitown wrote:
Derick Freese wrote: Since we're on the subject, I have a set of Polk Monitor7's that I'd happily let a GRMer have for $100 plus shipping. I love them, but I want something that packs more bottom end punch and capable of the deep harmonics found in dubstep.
Consider me very interested. What kind of shape are they in? Could you email me pictures? How much do you think it would be for shipping to 98822?

Oh yeah! I have owned Monitor 7s. No, they don't play the bottom octive, but they do very well for their size. And what they do, they do very well. I really liked them. Very nice, well designed speakers and in good shape, easily worth $100. In fact, I think that's what I sold mine for, and I sold them to a friend.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/20/12 6:53 p.m.

For a quick shipping quote, I was in the $70 range. That's not knowing exact weight and dimensions, of course.

I need to pull them out from where I have them set up (now behind a couch and a bunch of boxes), and I won't be able to get to that until tomorrow. When I get the pics, I'll post them up here.

92CelicaHalfTrac
1/20/12 8:55 p.m.

The monitor 7s will blow the new 70s out of the water!

Do they have the stands? Which revision are they?

Midtown you need those.

Derick, if you ship them pull the drivers out and ship them separately, otherwise it's not likely they'd make it.

madmallard
madmallard HalfDork
1/20/12 9:55 p.m.

BIC as near as i can tell is a budget application of Kilpsch-style speakers. And i havent heard of anyone being upset with their purchase...

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
1/21/12 11:24 a.m.

years ago i read a review of by John Atkinson of Stereophile mag about this diminutive little $300 pair of bookshelves by Acoustic Energy (model Aegis One), found a dealer where i could audition them just because i wanted to hear what he was talking about, and was so totally blown away i ended up buying them and replacing my $1000 mb quart floorstanding set. what they lack in low bass extension (though it's better than i'd have thought) they made up for in the best midrange i've heard for less than something like the $2200 Aerial Acoustics model 5.

oh and my feelings on bose... "better sound through advertising"

mitown
mitown New Reader
1/21/12 7:07 p.m.

What do you think of these? Polk Monitor 7B

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
1/21/12 7:33 p.m.

Ok someones got to say it.

300$ means one things bitchen headphones. Used of course. If not RS-1 then new SR325i. I dare you to compare these to stand alone speakers at say 10x price or under.

1 2 3 4 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zG72TQx4KckUKUOh23B3pTYzG0IUFodT8I3f2Higut15t1pXiZdJW5AHw78aDKv6