1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
mitown
mitown New Reader
5/6/12 12:33 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: The Onkyo has a phono stage. I haven't found a new turntable yet, but I am still looking. But during my search, I stumbled on to a Marantz 2238 receiver for $100 (http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/ele/2998510320.html). It would be used for the turntable I have yet to acquire. What do you guys think?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/6/12 11:59 a.m.

I think that's a fair price, not an amazing price. And now you're starting to hoard!

I think the Onkyo will sound much better.

mitown
mitown New Reader
5/6/12 12:06 p.m.

If the guy calls back I think I will offer him $75. What would be a good used receiver/integrated amp that would sound warm and tube like and would be best for a turntable?

mitown
mitown New Reader
7/23/12 4:10 p.m.

I have decided to forgo tube like and go straight to a tube receiver. I ended up buying a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I am looking at some Fisher 500c's or something similar. What do you guys think of this idea?

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/23/12 4:15 p.m.
mitown wrote: I have decided to forgo tube like and go straight to a tube receiver. I ended up buying a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I am looking at some Fisher 500c's or something similar. What do you guys think of this idea?

I don't know much about Fishers, to be honest, but i like the idea.

When i have more space at home i will probably think about doing a modest tube setup using some older Klipsch horn speakers or maybe some old school bigass Technics for that old school flavor.

I don't know much about that receiver, i'm going to check it out! If you don't like it for whatever reason, i've had good luck with Yaqin products in the past, might be worth looking into.

mitown
mitown New Reader
7/24/12 8:04 p.m.

What do you think of this?

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/25/12 8:23 a.m.

I think it went for a ridiculous amount of money.

I don't know much about old tube receivers unfortunately.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
7/25/12 8:50 a.m.

That looks about right to me, especially if it was recently gone through by a tech and it all works. But I'm still new to tube amps.

I've just joined this other forum about DIY audio projects: http://diyaudioprojects.com/

The guys on the forum are quite helpful, too. Say you have tubes x, y and z and you want to make an amp and you can't find a schematic. One of the guys usually will design one up for you to get you on your way. Amazing, if you ask me.

mitown
mitown New Reader
7/29/12 8:58 p.m.

While I was looking for tube receivers, I stumbled across these Boston Acoustics VR30's . What do you think? Would they have better bass than my Polks (sometimes the Polks can't keep up with the bass)? I think I am becoming an audio whore!

92CelicaHalfTrac
7/29/12 9:06 p.m.

Doubt they would have better bass than Monitor 7s, but better than Monitor 5s.

They're decent speakers, i'd pay $100 for them assuming they're in nice shape.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
12/21/12 10:20 a.m.

zombie thread....

Found some Polk car audio for what seems to be a cheep price....

Polk db675 6.75" speakers (need to be repaired but work fine otherwise) - $25

I know they make rebuild kits...whats involved? Ive never rebuilt audio equipment. Is it worth it with these?

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/21/12 10:40 a.m.

Nope. That's about the price you'd pay for a working pair of Polk DBs that didn't need repair.

That said, that is the "old" DB stuff that sounds better than the current line. But still not worth repairing.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
12/21/12 10:45 a.m.

thanks...bullet dodged

mtn
mtn PowerDork
12/21/12 10:50 a.m.

Timely bump. Just bought a set of Polk Monitor 40's for my girlfriends dad for Christmas. 1 is in perfect condition, the other has a crumple/dent thing on the back right bottom corner. $90 for the pair.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/21/12 12:09 p.m.

I myself recently upgraded... I picked up a pair of Polk RTI10s for fairly cheap. Now, it's

Main L/R - RTI10
Center - CS20
Surrounds - TSI300

When I first hooked everything up, I turned up the dial to -15 db on a movie, and during particularly loud scenes, the sound cut out momentarily (with a sound not unlike the noise transformers make in the new movies or something you might hear in dubstep). Turning it down to -20 db cured the issue.

Is that a symptom of tripping the protection circuit on my receiver?

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/21/12 12:15 p.m.
scardeal wrote: I myself recently upgraded... I picked up a pair of Polk RTI10s for fairly cheap. Now, it's Main L/R - RTI10 Center - CS20 Surrounds - TSI300 When I first hooked everything up, I turned up the dial to -15 db on a movie, and during particularly loud scenes, the sound cut out momentarily (with a sound not unlike the noise transformers make in the new movies or something you might hear in dubstep). Turning it down to -20 db cured the issue. Is that a symptom of tripping the protection circuit on my receiver?

Yep.

The RTi10s like (and kindof need) a lot of power for high volumes. Your average receiver can't push them anywhere near their potential.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/21/12 3:12 p.m.

Yeah... I think that'll be next on the list... I'd have to get a receiver that does hdmi and optical and has pre-outs, and that'll be a decent penny. (Not to mention a dedicated amp money...)

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/21/12 3:28 p.m.

In reply to scardeal:

I suppose this isn't for everyone, but I use one of these:

http://audio-database.com/MARANTZ/etc/dp870-e.html

and a Rotel six channel amp for home theater. I switch HDMI and optical with one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/HDVio-Optical-Toslink-Switcher-remote/dp/B001QZ8Z8W/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

System works great and didn't cost much. For years I used a Sansui quad reseiver for the front and rear channels, a powered sub and a T amp for the center channel. That was kinda cool.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/21/12 4:12 p.m.

In reply to scardeal:

Pioneet makes a line of recievers that have what they call "Ice" amps. They have preouts in case you need them, but they should have no problema pushing those speakers on their own.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
12/21/12 6:09 p.m.

Here's my stereo setup. These old integrated amps are REAL easy to find here in Germany! Scored an Onkyo A-7 in awesome shape for a hundred Eurobucks, and just 2 days ago found the matching T-9 tuner for 30 bucks (needs new lamps).

I'll take 65 watts per channel from 1978 any day! It really really makes these Canton bookshelves sing... I can't wait to get them on some speaker stands.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/22/12 11:46 a.m.

In reply to sobe_death:

That looks darn neat. Bet it sounds great!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/22/12 12:18 p.m.

I'venot read this whole thread, but let me try to persuade you to avoid HK stuff. I got a new reciever and DVD player years ago, maybe 5 or so? They had 2 year warranties. In less than 2 years I was on my 4th receiver. 4th.
The 2nd one didn't even work out of the box. The 4th was never taken out of the box, it was put on eBay and I got a used Rotel. For the same money I have more power, waaaaay better sound quality, headroom to spare and it still works. MY DVD player crapped out last week.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/22/12 12:20 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: zombie thread.... Found some Polk car audio for what seems to be a cheep price....
Polk db675 6.75" speakers (need to be repaired but work fine otherwise) - $25
I know they make rebuild kits...whats involved? Ive never rebuilt audio equipment. Is it worth it with these?

I used to recone speakers for a living. Coaxial are a pain typically, and little speakers (8" and under) are harder because of the small voice coils. On those Polks, I think the kit would cost twice what they'd be worth when you are done.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/22/12 12:44 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I'venot read this whole thread, but let me try to persuade you to avoid HK stuff. I got a new reciever and DVD player years ago, maybe 5 or so? They had 2 year warranties. In less than 2 years I was on my 4th receiver. 4th. The 2nd one didn't even work out of the box. The 4th was never taken out of the box, it was put on eBay and I got a used Rotel.

That's a bummer. They used to make good stuff. I've had good luck with Rotel gear. Denon too.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/22/12 1:10 p.m.

The HK line of recievers went down the tube a couple years ago. They sound good, but don't hold up.

I <3 Denon stuff.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hXocbssbCRY6eZXigYzwGlgPQHycU1y3mnZKtWB56tvmc7R8SL0p1GIUfot1hfIJ