1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
mitown
mitown New Reader
12/26/12 11:25 p.m.

After a year I am ready to upgrade my speakers. I am looking to spend up to $500. I found some Dahlquist DQ-10's on my local craigslist. What do you guys think? Do you have any other suggestions?

i

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
12/27/12 8:46 a.m.

Those are great speakers if you have the wattage to drive them, and if they're in good shape.

What are you looking for, really? $500 can get you into some crazy stuff on the used market.

mitown
mitown New Reader
12/27/12 12:25 p.m.

I'm looking for something something that I can listen to a wide variety of music at loud volumes. I am also planning on getting a Pioneer SX or a Sansui G or something else over 150 wpc. I would need a speaker that could handle the power. What would be a good combination?

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/27/12 12:31 p.m.
mitown wrote: I'm looking for something something that I can listen to a wide variety of music at loud volumes. I am also planning on getting a Pioneer SX or a Sansui G or something else over 150 wpc. I would need a speaker that could handle the power. What would be a good combination?

I'd honestly go a bit more robust on the amplification. You're looking at the equation backwards, though... you buy amplification that can power your speakers, not speakers that can handle your amplification.

The Dahlquists would do what you're looking for, but i think for loud volume while still retaining good sound, you should be looking at more traditional-form speakers. Vintage Polk SDAs, maybe?

Polk LSi series, Klipsch Fortes, used Paradigm Signatures, the big Mirages, etc.... You want a "Box" speaker for this kind of thing.

Related: I have NEVER heard a speaker capable of such insane volumes as a big Polk SDA-SRS 1.2TLs.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/27/12 12:49 p.m.

I could go on for days here, but I'll keep it brief.

From years of experience:

1. It is typically better to buy the cheapest product from a highend company than the top of the line product from a low end (mainstream) company. Keep it in mind.

2. Used amps can be used for years, as can used preamps/processors but the technology inside is usually too far out of date after 5 years to be useable. Used speakers are cause for concern, especially speakers with foam surround drivers. Speakers can be a wear item. (That said I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio BR1 speakers with good luck.

3. Stay away from any companies that starts with BO and ends in SE. "Better sound through advertising". They can sound pleasant for background music, little else.

4. Don't worry about "how many watts your speaker has". Get a good amp with anything over 75 watts and you should be fine with a decently efficient speaker. If you really want to crank it without distortion and fear of damaging the speaker get a more powerful amp.

5. Highend mainstream companies are: Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES ...kind of in that order. You can get these in stores like Best Buy.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
12/27/12 1:00 p.m.
miatame wrote: ... the technology inside is usually too far out of date after 5 years to be useable.

What!? I don't think any significant piece of any of my systems is newer than 10 years, let alone 5. Most of it dates from the early 70's to the mid 90's,

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/27/12 1:02 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:
miatame wrote: ... the technology inside is usually too far out of date after 5 years to be useable.
What!? I don't think any significant piece of any of my systems is newer than 10 years, let alone 5. Most of it dates from the early 70's to the mid 90's,

I think that's really just applying to a receiver/processor. Amplification itself hasn't changed a ton.

There's also no way in hell i'd put a receiver on a nice high end set of used $500 speakers, either, so that rules out Best Buy. They don't carry E36 M3 for 2-channel setups anyways.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/27/12 1:43 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote:

True, that comment is mearly for pre/pros, Preamp-Processor (reciever without amplification). I just assume 99% of people are looking to put together a 5+ channel system. 2-channel preamps are great used.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/27/12 1:45 p.m.
miatame wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote:
True, that comment is mearly for pre/pros, Preamp-Processor (reciever without amplification). I just assume 99% of people are looking to put together a 5+ channel system. 2-channel preamps are great used.

Yup... i use a B&K Reference 5 S2 preamp, but the Adcom SLC-505 i had prior sounded pretty much as good. But i'm lazy and like my remote control.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/27/12 1:49 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: There's also no way in hell i'd put a receiver on a nice high end set of used $500 speakers, either, so that rules out Best Buy. They don't carry E36 M3 for 2-channel setups anyways.

Ah come on, a Marantz SR6007 / SR7007 would be a very good system from bestbuy. Receivers have come a long way in the last 10 years.

Cheap recievers can be as bad as they have always been though; bloated wattage numbers, small power supplies, lightweight cases.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/27/12 2:02 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Yup... i use a B&K Reference 5 S2 preamp, but the Adcom SLC-505 i had prior sounded pretty much as good. But i'm lazy and like my remote control.

Hey slightly off-topic, what do you think of a CDP with variable preouts as a preamp? I have an older Denon DCD-560 (5 disc changer, fix pre out, variable preout with remote control, and digital out). straight to an amp.

I got a used Rotel RB-971 amp (70 wpc x 2) and I wanted a system in my office. I didn't have a non hometheater preamp, but I remembered the changer had a variable preout. The system isn't in its final position and I don't have many hours listening but it sounds okay. Not quite like I expected though.

I'm wondering if a preamp with a highend DAC would be a better idea.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/27/12 3:05 p.m.

In reply to miatame:

The problem.in a reciever for a 2 channel setup is that youre paying for things you'll never use, decreasing overall value for your usage. The same money would be far better spent on real 2 channel gear.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/27/12 3:07 p.m.

In reply to miatame:

Depends on the cdp. I've done it before with good results, but if the DAC isnt great it wont be great.

mitown
mitown New Reader
12/27/12 3:56 p.m.

OK, now you have me interested in a older used integrated amp. Do you have any suggestions?

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/27/12 4:11 p.m.

Let me look around... Most of my integrated amp experience is with newer Marantz, cambridge, and Onkyo stuff.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
12/27/12 4:57 p.m.

I'm building the Overnight Sensations with my dad for my basement. We've got the crossovers done, and are about to start on the cabinets...

Here's a link to the kit that we're using: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-706

I'm trying to take pictures of the build process. Should I do a build thread for it?

mitown
mitown New Reader
12/27/12 11:18 p.m.

What do you think of this.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
12/28/12 9:01 a.m.

If you want true highend, check out used Classe gear. They have amazing build quality and sound. CAP-80and CAP-100 are phenomenal integrated amps. Look to spend about $600 for the 80 and you'll never need anything more.

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/28/12 9:05 a.m.
mitown wrote: What do you think of this.

That's a good way to get into tubes, but unless you want to spend some money going through it, i would probably steer away from stuff that old at this point. (Though that unit does look like it's in GREAT condition.)

92CelicaHalfTrac
12/28/12 9:07 a.m.

Rega is the other company i was trying to think of. I've messed around with a bunch of their gear and i've been VERY impressed for the price point.

The Brio-R is a great little integrated amp.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
1/1/13 2:42 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: In reply to sobe_death: That looks darn neat. Bet it sounds great!

It really does sound better every day. On day one, the speakers were really really bright, but as they get some hours on them they have mellowed out quite nicely. Last week, I just scored a matching Onkyo T-9 tuner to go with it .

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
1/1/13 3:45 p.m.
miatame wrote: 2. Used amps can be used for years, as can used preamps/processors but the technology inside is usually too far out of date after 5 years to be useable. Used speakers are cause for concern, especially speakers with foam surround drivers. Speakers can be a wear item. (That said I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio BR1 speakers with good luck.

I'd be interested in some clarification here. My Denon POA 2400 is from the 90s. I haven't heard much better amps made since.

As for speakers, it depends on what you're after. Foam surrounds are your friend. They're easy to replace and you can get a pair of speakers for a decent deal if you're willing to put in some effort to do the job. Add a handful of decent caps and you're off to the races.

My "new" speakers were made in 1978.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
1/1/13 3:49 p.m.
mitown wrote: After a year I am ready to upgrade my speakers. I am looking to spend up to $500. I found some Dahlquist DQ-10's on my local craigslist. What do you guys think? Do you have any other suggestions?

A friend had some DQ10s and I thought they were just outstanding. Absolutely loved them. If you have the room I think they'd be great. You should do some checking, but that strikes me as a pretty good deal on them too.

As for other suggestions, I'm a big AR fan. Anything up through the early Teledyne era will likely sound pretty darn good. I have a pair of LST-2s, AR3s and AR9s. I need to stop buying speakers.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
1/1/13 3:52 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
mitown wrote: What do you think of this.
That's a good way to get into tubes, but unless you want to spend some money going through it, i would probably steer away from stuff that old at this point. (Though that unit does look like it's in GREAT condition.)

Tube amps often need caps. Just looking at that thing it does scare me a bit. Probably more than I'd bite off.

If you want to try tubes, sometimes an amp from an old console can be a good way to go. The days of scoring one for $20 is over, but the amps can be picked up on ebay for $100 sometimes. They're typically a little simpler. I have a Motorola pp EL84 amp that I recapped and got working. It sounds super. I built a little wooden base for it and like it a lot, though it got pushed out once the AR bug hit me. Had to find some solid state power...

RossD
RossD UberDork
1/2/13 9:44 a.m.

In reply to scardeal:

Yes, please do a build thread.

I'm will be building a stereo tube amp out of an old mono kit amp. Details/thread to follow...

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pdvn3UQNiDgnL8BnHWNN9YutAgkHu6ADgBKLkPkpMt51T69S34p04zPI0XhEEHZS