Y'all seem to know something about everything so let's talk about keyboards.

My fiancee wants a piano. We do not have space for a piano (700 sq ft apt FTW!), so she's on a light hunt for an 88-key keyboard. My big contribution to this effort is asking on my car forum for advice, as I barely even understand what a note is.

She's a great singer and understands music so sound quality is important to her. Which brands should we be looking at and which features should we be looking for? Let's assume we're shopping used, unless there's some big reason not to.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

Definitely not my forte, but I'm guessing she probably wants one with weighted keys if she wanted an actual piano. The good news is the lower end keyboards generally don't have weighted keys(that I know of) so any you find will likely be pretty decent units. 

Yamaha always have seemed like quality instruments to me, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

The only other thing I know is that Casio used to be some of the cheapest ones out there, but I'm pretty sure they eventually made some pretty good ones too. 

Five minutes and one post and I already learned something (weighted keys are a thing). I love this place. 

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 2:01 p.m.

I have this one (https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Weighted-Digital-Sustain-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B01LY8OUQW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+electric+piano&qid=1589569236&sr=8-3) and it seems pretty good for a lower end model. I got it thinking I would get back into playing after 15 years but never did much with it. I should buy or build a stand for it so I can get it out again and practice. 

The reason I didn't buy used was because anything I found locally was only $100 or so cheaper than new and if they were less than that they were broken. Add in the hassle of dealing with a FB/craigslist seller and I just ordered a new one. 

Kylini
Kylini Dork
5/15/20 2:14 p.m.

If actual piano action and feel is important, I'd probably look at an 88 key stage piano of some kind, like the Korg Grandstage 88 or the Kawai MP11SE. These'll run 2-3 grand, but they're incredible and have actual hammer-driven keys (sometimes wood).

There are cheaper options that might thread the needle between cost and playability, like the Roland RD-88 (1200ish). Korg also has hammer-driven units for under a grand that are targeted towards enthusiasts, not stage performers.

Stage piano == meant to go through hell and back. Definitely check the used market.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 2:45 p.m.

One nice thing about going with a digital piano is that the sound generation doesn't have to have anything to do with the feel of the keyboard. I'd swing by a local music shop/Guitar Center and let her noodle around and see what she likes the feel of. Then, if she likes the sound, you're golden. If not, then you look at either a standalone synth module or you plug it into a computer and use a digital emulator. 

I'm still using the same Roland PC-200 (not 88 key, not weighted) keyboard controller that I've had since the mid-90's. I just plug it into whatever I want to control. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/15/20 3:24 p.m.

Budget?

Yamaha is definitely worth a look.  Most of their musical instruments punch above their price class.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Budget is unclear. I made this thread after she left the house and I forgot to ask. I'll update the thread once she gets back. 

Everyone else, thanks a ton so far. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
5/15/20 6:09 p.m.

X 3 on Yamaha.  Daughter has one with weighted keys and she says it plays (feel wise) very comparably to the real pianos she’s played.  Hers has a fixed stand, 88 keys, two way built in stereo speakers and will do many other preprogrammed sounds beyond piano as well.  It sounds good, gets pretty loud but would not be suitable for band use as is.   It does have an output that could be used for an auxiliary amplifier or PA system.   I believe it was around $350 new.  

Budget update: $500 or less.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
5/15/20 6:23 p.m.

I found myself in a similar predicament about five years ago, and opted to grab a 61-key Casio CTK-6200. Don't believe it has weighted keys, but I wanted something I could learn on and then stand on its side for storage in my closet with a stand.

Has decent digital effects, you can transpose +/-12 semitones for key changes, and a tuning range down to 415.5Hz (if you wanna play Baroque tuning, which is 415Hz) all the way up to 465Hz. I like to play along with a lot of Daft Punk songs, and I've noticed that the mastering process causes a pitch shift on certain records to nearly 16 cents over the now standard A440 tuning. Most of that is stuff most people will never touch or really notice, but if you've got "perfect pitch" or can hear an audible difference between A439 and A440, being able to make use of a wide range of tuning options allows you to correct your tuning. I've learned this when playing along with several songs on guitar or bass, that despite my instrument being tuned properly, I sound out of tune from the record!

Either way, I'll say you can't go wrong with Yamaha or Casio when it comes to getting a quality starter keyboard at a great value.

The Roland PC-200 that Keith mentioned is an even smaller package, and with sound emulation through a PC, you can get just about any kind of sound, tuning, etc., you could ever dream of.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie New Reader
5/15/20 6:31 p.m.

I have always liked keytars.  But I play saxophone. I'm not a keyboardist. 

Keith Tanner
5/15/20 6:40 p.m.
Azryael said:

I found myself in a similar predicament about five years ago, and opted to grab a 61-key Casio CTK-6200. Don't believe it has weighted keys, but I wanted something I could learn on and then stand on its side for storage in my closet with a stand.

Has decent digital effects, you can transpose +/-12 semitones for key changes, and a tuning range down to 415.5Hz (if you wanna play Baroque tuning, which is 415Hz) all the way up to 465Hz. I like to play along with a lot of Daft Punk songs, and I've noticed that the mastering process causes a pitch shift on certain records to nearly 16 cents over the now standard A440 tuning. Most of that is stuff most people will never touch or really notice, but if you've got "perfect pitch" or can hear an audible difference between A439 and A440, being able to make use of a wide range of tuning options allows you to correct your tuning. I've learned this when playing along with several songs on guitar or bass, that despite my instrument being tuned properly, I sound out of tune from the record!

Either way, I'll say you can't go wrong with Yamaha or Casio when it comes to getting a quality starter keyboard at a great value.

The Roland PC-200 that Kieth mentioned is an even smaller package, and with sound emulation through a PC, you can get just about any kind of sound, tuning, etc., you could ever dream of.

I'm currently using the PC-200 between a Behringer Model D Minimoog clone, an analog 808 and a Roland Sound Canvas :) That poor keyboard has no idea. It's just a MIDI source.

I had a fascinating discussion about tuning with a high-end Vegas piano tuner over dinner last fall. There is a heck of a lot going on there to deal with overtones and dealing with the behavior and stiffness of different strings. I highly recommend it if you get the chance and musical theory/physics floats your boat.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
5/15/20 6:42 p.m.
Azryael
Azryael Reader
5/15/20 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That definitely sounds up my alley.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/15/20 8:22 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

Budget update: $500 or less.

That was my budget when i was looking. My BIL recommended the one I bought and he is much better than me and has a $3k or do electric piano.

The keys on mine feel like a real piano but it doesn't get too loud. It's enough for playing at home but you can always output to an amp if you need more volume.

Quieter probably isn't the worst thing in an apartment, haha. 

Keith Tanner
5/15/20 10:48 p.m.

One nice thing about using a keyboard instead of a real piano is the ability to wear headphones!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ue3sRLVHSoA3HdOgay5uCk4DaiN23I4NMqq1ZEQauU9N028BqwRfc4Lf79rNI7t