1 2 3
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/21/21 11:09 a.m.

First and foremost, these are out of order a bit because uploading from 2 different folders and seemed to have hit a picture limit. 

on the second night, our hotel smoking area was overrun with slugs.

A really cool looking rooster at one of the roadside petting zoos. Th eone with the baby goat in other pictures. 

professor hackers mini golf. The second place we played at. I'm a little concerned cause they had blue water in the toilets too, but the course was fun and there was a story spread across both courses. 

Look for this sign when you book a hotel room. It makes a world of difference.

We had to get a picture with the cow at Turkey Hill. 

RevRico
8/21/21 11:15 a.m.

It may be hard to see without zooming in, but the first afternoon/night the smoking area at the hotel was overrun with baby toads. All under 1.5" long, and there were hundreds of them running across the mulch to the hasta. 

The mixer from the Turkey Hill Experience. Part of the tour takes you through a full sized mixing pot complete with paddle.

This was waters edge, the first place we played Sunday night when we got to town. Dana takes much better pcitures than me even with the same hardware. 

RevRico
8/21/21 11:41 a.m.

So to summarize this impulsive decision... 

I've looked at the housing market, we can't afford it. So we are planning a return trip. 

The whole reason we went was Shady Maple. We were let down with the buffet really, but the gift shop was pretty amazing. We didn't make it to the grocery store, but that was recommended by the locals very highly. 

I appreciate all of the input from everyone, even the things we didn't do or that would have been a haul. We just managed to do all the things we wanted to do at our own pace within a 30 minute drive of the hotel. More time doing, less time traveling was kind of the plan. There were also some longstanding traditions of ours upheld like late night runs to the gas station for snacks because the whole freaking everything is shut down. 

The gps took us some pretty backass ways to get places which was nice, but I was let down a bit with them. Great roads, way nicer than this side of the state, but not much in the way of OLD architecture. It did let us see some interesting sights though, like an Amish house party complete with volleyball nets, an old Amish grandma on a rascal scooter, some tricked out undercarriage lit buggies, and a young Amish girl using a 2 stroke weedwacker on the side of the road. 

Speaking of, the Amish people we met and interacted with were some of the nicest people I've ever met. They were happy to explain how things worked or how they did things, and seemed overall happy to be there. The old people on the other hand, non amish and hopefully tourists, were complete and total shiny happy people to everyone. 

The main reason we took this trip, other than the obvious no kids for a week, was to eat. And ate we did. Dienners, next to Dutch Haven, is spectacular. We ate off the menu instead of the small buffet, and were just overwhelmed. Casey Jones restarutnt at the Red Caboose hotel was surprising, service was slooooow and the appetizer was underwhelming but they really delivered on the burgers. Shady Maple wasn't worth going to. But in Intercourse at the Kitchen Kettle Village you can get fat in a hurry. Go around the corner to Immergut for the best soft pretzels in the world, across the street to the butcher/deli, or any of the vendors selling everything from fudge to cheese to popcorn and cookies and everything. Just get in early, and hit the vineyard first because you can drink while you shop. 

Take the time to do the Turkey Hill Experience if you're ever in the area. It's a neat little tour, all the ice cream and iced tea/lemonade samples you want, and was only $21 for BOTH of us to get into. 

those aren't yellow potatoes, that's butter.

sour cream and onion, and butter, soft pretzel.

beef tips and home made bread and mashed potatoes.

it's a little hard to tell, but that's a giant glob of Amish peanut butter in the middle of that peanut butter cookie. 

and I bought popcorn. Was disappointed my microwave doesn't have a see through door, but it came with a bag to pop it in anyway.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/22/21 8:30 a.m.

Glad you mostly enjoyed my backyard.

Lots and lots of tourists, mostly from NY/NJ in the area you frequented. And they are 99% all Shiny Happy People.

The housing market almost everywhere right now is insane. Stuff locally is selling for stupid money within 24 hrs of listing. Now is not the time to buy. Also, our taxes are high and you'll want to pay attention to the locale you are considering. For example, Red Lion (which is in rural York county) has higher taxes then I do by a significant margin, and I'm only 30-ish minutes away. And my taxes are high. Mostly because every school district has/is/wants to build a new Taj Majal school for the little rug rats.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bSKbmD8Hgy3yZA99D8oxUwmTy7iZh3MNFPXNCMqMp7XjgBR80H58i7ckWreWUyjc