1 ... 5 6 7 8
SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/19/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I think you're right. 

Regardless of the actual R value, I'm confident the product will improve the longevity of the dome fabric, and protect it from UV. 

Sounds like the OP is doing his homework well. The best way to measure that paint stuff is probably to ask people who have used it about their satisfaction, not depend on bogus marketing E36 M3. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/19/21 8:52 a.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I think you're right. 

Regardless of the actual R value, I'm confident the product will improve the longevity of the dome fabric, and protect it from UV. 

I did a quick search on the paint companies website. I don't see that they ever mention actual R values, they're saying what I think you and ProDarwin are thinking: It has a similar/equivalent impact as R-22 because it reflects the radiation, but that does not insulate. 

I am curious because they did say it can reduce heating and cooling costs by up to (two important words there) a certain percentage. I'm not sure I really buy that it could reduce heating costs, but that is not a concern for this application.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/19/21 8:59 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I think you're right. 

I did a quick search on the paint companies website. I don't see that they ever mention actual R values, they're saying what I think you and ProDarwin are thinking: It has a similar/equivalent impact as R-22 because it reflects the radiation, but that does not insulate. 

I am curious because they did say it can reduce heating and cooling costs by up to (two important words there) a certain percentage. I'm not sure I really buy that it could reduce heating costs, but that is not a concern for this application.

Well, in theory if its a radiation barrier, it would help trap radiant heat inside the dome also.  That would reduce heating costs.

Works well in the desert.

Here on the east coast where the ambient temp is 95F in the shade and almost none of the heat is coming from solar radiation....

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/19/21 9:02 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I think you're right. 

Well, in theory if its a radiation barrier, it would help trap radiant heat inside the dome also.  That would reduce heating costs.

Here on the east coast where the ambient temp is 95F in the shade and almost none of the heat is coming from solar radiation....

So would it have to be applied to the interior of the house/structure for that to be true?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/19/21 9:06 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

I think you're right. 

So would it have to be applied to the interior of the house/structure for that to be true?

Hmm, yes, you are right.  Internal heat radiation would hit the fabric, then transfer to the paint via conduction.  So yeah, it needs to be the first line of defense.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
2/19/21 9:50 a.m.

You'd probably need to be pretty fanatical about cleaning it to keep up the reflection, too.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
2/19/21 5:31 p.m.

I don't think you guys have that right. 

Containing internal heat radiation would be a thing if the goal was to maximize heating. In cold regions, like where you live. 

The goal here is cooling. In the desert. Reflecting external solar radiation to prevent it from heating the interior is the goal. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
2/19/21 5:38 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

You'd probably need to be pretty fanatical about cleaning it to keep up the reflection, too.

Thermo-Shield® Roof Coats are highly efficient, energy-saving, flexible coatings, made from a water-based pure acrylic resin system filled with vacuumed sodium borosilicate ceramic micro spheres of less than 100 microns in size. Each micro sphere acts as asealed cell and the entire mastic acts as a thermally efficient blanket covering the entire structure. These coatings are non-toxic, friendly to the environment, and form a monolithic (seamless) membrane that bridges hairline cracks. They are completely washable and resist many harsh chemicals. Thermo-Shield® Roof Coats have high reflectance and high emittance as well as a very low conductivity value. Thermo-Shield® Roof Coats greatly reduce thermal shock and heat penetration by keeping roof surfaces much cooler in hot summer weather. They offer UV protection and low VOC’s. They display excellent dirt pickup resistance and retain their flexibility after aging. Thermo-Shield® Roof Coats reduce noise transmission and have an effective use range from –40 Deg C (-40 Deg F) to 204 Deg C (400 Deg F).

I have no idea what a "vacuumed sodium borosilicate ceramic micro sphere" is, but it sounds like magic!  One of the claims is that they resist dirt too! 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/22/21 11:30 a.m.
Rons said:

So here’s a question is Joshua Tree near Landers? I have family there and a steamer trunk of our grandmother’s to be delivered there and a road trip is a possibility.

I am close enough. Come on over :)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/22/21 11:32 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

Can't wait to see these once they are assembled!

Thank you. 

(sorry guys haven't been able to answer all of you). - invite + GRM barn hangout. ALl can happen. Last two weekends, I hosted 3 families from all over the US (safely and socially distanced) - albeit not in domes. 

Currently dome orders will be done March 15th. 10 week build time. Then I Install and do the bahtrooms. 

I am out there looking at some land all weekend. Planning to buy two more pieces of land, SO IF this takes off - I can quickly get it started over there as well. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/22/21 11:33 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Yeah, thats why I think the key is that word 'equivalent'.

R value is resistance to conduction.  It's a UV paint which reflects radiation.  I think they are trying to equate the two somehow.

I think you are correct. My options are I can buy the paint, or I can not. Both are my choice, no push. Obviously given heat/elements, and investment, I want to buy the paint - if it can be applied properly. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/22/21 11:33 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I think you're right. 

Sounds like the OP is doing his homework well. The best way to measure that paint stuff is probably to ask people who have used it about their satisfaction, not depend on bogus marketing E36 M3. 

Agreed. That is what I am thinking. I am meeting with two people who have done it - thus I am asking them

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
2/22/21 11:46 a.m.

Are the Domes going to each have a theme are they all going to be the same ?

Mad Max Theme , next to a Hello Kitty theme....on and on......

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/22/21 12:23 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Are the Domes going to each have a theme are they all going to be the same ?

Mad Max Theme , next to a Hello Kitty theme....on and on......

Initially I don't want them to really have a theme. Modern, white, clean, desert oasis. 

Overtime, I want to have a few in the middle of my date trees..

and in the other two properties I am trying to aquire (no farm there) - we could TOTALLY theme each out... and we have talked about it :)

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
5/20/21 8:37 p.m.

Any updates??

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
5/20/21 9:02 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

All domes here delivered. 

built two platforms. Put pause due to construction cost on others 

got the other 3 houses I had which were sitting on properties as storage -- on Airbnb in meantime. 

Looking at 47-49k on each of those houses gross projection for 12 months. Should have done it 5 years ago. 

Planting at farm now - which is costing me $400k for the trees alone. 

bleeding cash till October when it's picking season 

bought 11 hipster cars last 6 weeks, 3 are Broncos, 6 figure builds on these 

Busy bee 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/15/22 7:52 p.m.

I'm bumping this because I miss you!!

What's the update on the domes?  I'm still interested in coming there to help, and in being a dome guest for a while!!

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
1/15/22 7:55 p.m.

I haven't read the discussion, but I bet this is relevant  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/18/23 10:09 a.m.

Any updates?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/18/23 7:45 p.m.
SV reX said:

Any updates?

Miss you my friend! Sorry about lack of updates. Too many have been going on. 

On the property we added:

3 domes

1 container home

1 2700 sq steel building

Additionally bought 3 coin laundry, doing construction on 2 more. Things have been crazy.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/18/23 7:47 p.m.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/19/23 8:36 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Any pics or info about the domes?  Are you renting them now?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/19/23 2:27 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Intrigued by the quonset -- how long did it take to set this up, and how much did it cost?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/19/23 6:32 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

$37,000. 3 weeks.

I have 5 more going up. Price ranges from 45-65 on those ones.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/19/23 6:33 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Igot them from Pacific. I rented them in the summer yes. Now that it is harvest season till March, not renting now. I posted couple of pics from distance, will get you some close up pics when I am back at the farm in Nov.

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TSeGCu0zR0R2cZBZxhsuUwazyNA9QVwgv0Ig6hMlkkSPJkBJ0Lymv5zSLpHNMjur