Careful, you don't want bullet holes in your canoe

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/20 7:36 a.m.

Jeez, the canoes.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/25/20 7:46 a.m.

100 yard hogs?  Get a used .30-30 with a decent scope.  4x is all you need.  Pick a projectile load that is designed to work on hogs.

What people don't realize about scopes is they should spend almost as much on the scope as on the rifle.

And if you can't do a 2" group at 50 yards  with a bench rested rifle either you have a trigger control problem, your scope is loose, you have seriously bad ammo, or the barrel is worn out.  Usually its operator error.

I used to be able to shoot a 4" group at 50 yards with my open sighted .357 S&W revolver with 6" barrel back when I was into pistol competition. This was with the "barricade rest" position.  Free hand I could still keep it withing 8" inches.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/25/20 7:52 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

FYI - 7 year old thread...

I'd say one argument for a scope is if shooting at wild hogs, you only get one shot. If you miss, the target is gone. The goal is to kill the hog, not prove how good a shot you are.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/25/20 8:20 a.m.

So, since it's been 7 years..... how are the .300Black for hogs? 

stroker
stroker UberDork
6/25/20 8:28 p.m.
bobzilla said:

Prolly depends on shot placement and the size of the hog.  I'm guessing it'll work for most, but I'm not a hunter...

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
6/26/20 6:51 a.m.
bobzilla said:

Use supers, subs if the shot placement isn't perfect leads to a slow death and you may not find it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/26/20 9:18 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

My father-in-law got a TC Encore .45-70 thinking it would be great for hogs <insert kicks like mule colloquialism>, in practice its significant recoil, and being a single shot, he decided, maybe there's a better option.  I don't think he ever took a hog with it, not any real fault of the gun, just never had a good shot opportunity while using the Encore.

For his next "hog gun" I helped him convert his Olympic AR-15 to .300 Blk, he successfully dropped a few hogs with it, including a monster boar.

He missed his 5.56 AR, so I built him a new one mostly from Palmetto State Armory parts.

He was content for a few years.

Then he randomly got concerned about mixing up ammo, afraid he might stick a mag of .300 Blk in his AR... I don't know, I didn't push the matter, I wondered if he might have stuck a 5.56 in his .300 on accident, I ignored it for a while, I told him to just mark his mags, so he wouldn't mix them up.  Then one day he decides that his 5.56 needs to live in my safe.  Uhh, okay?  I just rolled with it, and now have another safe queen.

He continued to shoot hogs with his .300 Blk, but I know he had a few that required follow up shots.  He's a decent shot, he's not one to take a random shot, but hogs are tough.

Then he got on an AR-10 kick.  He was dropping not so subtle hints, and asking me questions about AR-10s just about every time we were together.  He deer hunts with a .308, and thought it made more sense to have an AR-10.

For his birthday a few years ago, I got his wife, the brother-in-law, and us to all chip in, and I built him an AR-10, PSA parts again.

His .300 Blk has been a safe queen at his house ever since.

Long story, to say, .300 Blk, meh.

If you want a short barrel, suppressor host, and plan to shoot subsonic, I'd give it a solid maybe.  If you're not shooting subsonic, I'd go with any number of other ~30 caliber rounds.  7.62x39 in an AR would be my pick for a hog gun.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V77uAZN5PLkYrFSeKkOCPUf1b87v0XNC7ujam95I7R8BRxFm45xQJe6ZnCtS221v