1 2
LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/20 4:46 p.m.

Since it seems like Marketplace has become the new Craigslist, I find myself looking on there more and more.  However I am extremely frustrated with the search functionality that they have implemented.

I click on a category, say Hobbies, then Auto Parts and I put in BMW M5.

It come back and just shows me cars for sales, not parts that are under it.  This is super difficult on mobile.  When I'm on a desktop, I can click again at the top for a button to filter, but it doesn't seem super picky as I see a ton of items that don't relate to what I am searching.

So what am I doing wrong here?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/20 4:49 p.m.

no the search is crap. also no one posts anything correctly anyway

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/15/20 4:51 p.m.

Oh, I feel your pain! The searching is bad.

My other big complaint is that the user interface is so much different on different devices

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/15/20 6:08 p.m.

Ok, so it is not just me.  Good.

BTW, is there anyway to flag listing on FB?  Or is that a waste of time.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/15/20 8:25 p.m.
LifeIsStout said:

Nothing. It's a dumpster fire. Also, I don't entirely blame sellers for having the wrong information. I just sold my 944 on there, and they don't have the 944 as an option under Porsche, so I had to list it as a 968. Also, I selected "manual transmission" and it still listed it as an auto. Further, I've been looking at used cars on there, and virtually everything is listed as an auto, you have to look at the interior pics (if there are any) to see if it's actually a manual or not. Also, the maximum search radius is 100 miles.

In short, Berkeley Zuckerberg.

trumant (Forum Supporter)
trumant (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/20 8:47 p.m.

To be fair, once you realize the automatic thing, I consider it a bit of a bonus for those of us who want to find a manual of a popular car and know to double-check.

I suspect a lot of listings get missed by the average person who hasn't picked up on that trick.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/15/20 8:48 p.m.

On the desktop, I was forced to list the SHO as an auto. I was able to correct it on mobile. Such stupid.

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
7/16/20 10:01 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
LifeIsStout said:

Nothing. It's a dumpster fire. Also, I don't entirely blame sellers for having the wrong information. I just sold my 944 on there, and they don't have the 944 as an option under Porsche, so I had to list it as a 968. Also, I selected "manual transmission" and it still listed it as an auto. Further, I've been looking at used cars on there, and virtually everything is listed as an auto, you have to look at the interior pics (if there are any) to see if it's actually a manual or not. Also, the maximum search radius is 100 miles.

In short, Berkeley Zuckerberg.

It was recently upped to 500 miles and seems to default to that (at least for me) which is much more useful. In the past on desktop you could change the number in the url and get even more distance, though it looks like that ability is gone now. It is a little infuriating that for as much as they've mobile-ized the desktop site the marketplace layout is significantly different between the two. Honestly I'm not sure it's that much worse overall quality that craigslist aside from the interface being a little weird to figure out. I've never really bothered to search by category on either place because nobody reliably lists their stuff right on either one. The auto/manual thing is annoying but generally if you specifically mention being a manual in the ad it'll pick it up.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/16/20 10:12 a.m.

FB Marketplace's search functionality is a complete dumpster fire. It works sometimes, if the Marketplace is working at all. The mobile app is a mess. I find it easiest to search for the broadest terms in the maximum range of mileage to get anything at all for results.

Searching Marketplace is like throwing dice. Sometimes you get what you want, but usually you get everything but. 

hobiercr (FS)
hobiercr (FS) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/20 10:17 a.m.

The only advice I can give is to search for a wide variety of things, often. If you are like me, you want to get as many variables into the FB search calculations as possible. My main browse screen normally provides a treasure trove of weird E36 M3.

Make sure to scroll down to find listings that are outside of your area.

Finally, join topic-specific groups to see what others post outside your area (to fill your news feed with non-news stuff). Make sure you join "Bring a welder," "enablers unanimous," "underappreciated survivors" groups, to name a few.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/16/20 10:17 a.m.

Yeah, it sucks. I miss what Craigslist used to be. 

I use it, almost exclusively, because it is what is used by most people... but it sucks.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/16/20 10:24 a.m.

I haven't FB'd in something like 2-3 years.  FB Marketplace posts would sometimes make me regret that, but reading through this thread I find good reasons not to regret it.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/20 11:23 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I haven't FB'd in something like 2-3 years.  FB Marketplace posts would sometimes make me regret that, but reading through this thread I find good reasons not to regret it.

The problem is, as mtn said, most of the stuff is on there now. 

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/20 12:02 p.m.

Marketplace is literally the only reason I still have FB right now. I'm considering deleting my account and opening a fake just to browse for projects I don't need.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
7/16/20 12:07 p.m.

Hey the listing process may be impossible and the search feature may never work but at least when you accidentally click on an ad for something you have no interest in, that is all it will ever show you again.

I made the mistake of clicking on a few items wondering what the hell they were. No description, odd picture.

Now I constantly get updates on pogo sticks and makeup newly listed in my area.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/20 12:55 p.m.

I have been hunting for cars on FB marketplace (among other places) for the last month and I will join the chorus to state that the search is totally broken.

For example I came across an old Renault just browsing the "vehicles" category. I typed "Renault" in the search and the vehicle I was looking at 30 seconds earlier did not appear. HMMMMM.

The best luck I have been having is to use the geographic location and price settings (just about the only things that seem to work right) to just search for all Vehicles under $5000 within 100 miles of my ZIP code and just check it regularly. I do have a few alerts set up for brand-specific searches but they only seem to work 50% of the time.

Another thing that works well is to join marque-specific Buy/Sell/Trade groups on FB instead of endlessly browsing the free-for-all marketplace. For example I'm in "Volvos & Parts Buy/Sell/Trade" and "BMW E28 Marketplace" groups that really make it easier to find stuff.

Side note: I have noticed that the sites you wouldn't expect like Cars.com, AutoTrader, and CarGurus are getting a lot more private party action these days than they used to. OfferUp and LetGo are worth an occasional check as well though 75% of the sellers are sketchy as hell and they have many of the same problems as FB marketplace. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/16/20 12:57 p.m.

It seems like the search works ok-ish for non automotive things. But yeah car stuff is a dumpster fire on there. I think one thing that helps is when you do stumble on things are close to or related to what you are looking for always click on the ads. Even if they are too expensive or too far away. Then the algorithm will start giving you better results.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/16/20 1:02 p.m.
noddaz said:

Ok, so it is not just me.  Good.

BTW, is there anyway to flag listing on FB?  Or is that a waste of time.

Below the pics, maybe below the headline there is a row of round icons. One of them is save. Click that. Then when you want to find it back later click on the menu in the top right corner. One of the options is saved items. It should be in there. This is how it is on mobile, anyway.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/16/20 1:11 p.m.

Honestly, this thread makes me feel so much better.  I know we have that other 'Found on FB Marketplace' and it's a lovely, curated list, but I always wondered why I couldn't find anything cool.

What we need is a searchtempest site for FB marketplace now, I used to use that all the time for craigslist searching.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/16/20 1:11 p.m.

Seems that lots of used car dealers are also using it to buy and sell cars.  You have to be quick for a good deal and even then you have buyers that will sell out from under you cause someone else talks them into it for whatever reason.  I also agree that the search function is a joke, its very hit or miss

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
7/16/20 5:13 p.m.

Here's a "Pro tip" copied from the other thread: 

"Learned a FB marketplace "cheat code" the other day.  Put in the item you're searching for, then search within 80 miles.  This is an example search, looking for Kato N Scale trains (something I've been searching for lately).  Here's an example search: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/107740462581860/search/?query=kato%20n%20scale&radiusKM=129&vertical=C2C&sort=BEST_MATCH

Now, here's the trick: See where the URL says "radiusKM=129"?  Back out the 129 and type in 1999.  Apparently, 1999km's is the maximum search range.  It works.  I've been looking at train stuff basically in the whole eastern half of the U.S.  

Happy hunting!  (BTW:  This doesn't make the search engine suck any less, it just makes it suck over a wider radius.)"

I've had little luck buying or selling anything related to cars on FB marketplace.  I've found a TON of train stuff, though.  Basically, though, you have to wade through pages of garbage to find a few gems.  

Marcheres
Marcheres New Reader
4/21/21 6:00 a.m.

I would not trust fb marketplace! Does anyone know if they verify in any way the buyers and the sellers? I mean, I get it that stores and businesses aren't likely to sell stuff on Facebook marketplace, but these kinds of checkups are still important. I tried to sell my services there (I create design templates for CVs), but there was no guarantee that I would get paid after completing the task. So I decided to work on other freelance platforms, even though sales are considerably lower compared to fb. I guess it happens because on Facebook, the seller and the consumer can easier find another.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
4/21/21 6:17 a.m.
Marcheres said:

I would not trust fb marketplace!

Thank you for bringing so much new information to a zombie thread.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
4/9/24 7:26 a.m.

fb market place actually ruined classified ads

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OukVAYEE1LmKuglA0q6QGjm56LcrGqWa87RS0iJeSlZfFJbSXi56kRje4BTE1LCK