1 2
thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/12/12 3:46 p.m.

I am interested in learning about the junk yard business. I am researching potential business opportunities. Are they a decent investment? What is needed to start one? How do they operate? How much potential for growth do they have? How will that industry handle the battery components of future vehicles?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks Zack

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/12 4:20 p.m.

Buying an existing one with all the permits in place or starting a new one?

Duke
Duke SuperDork
1/12/12 4:24 p.m.

There was a previous thread on this board a few months ago. The upshot is that they are an EPA-regulation hell.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
1/12/12 4:25 p.m.

You will learn to hate people, but you will make good dough.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/12/12 4:30 p.m.

I already hate people, so I'm halfway there.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/12/12 4:48 p.m.

This is my story. I already own and operate a 20,000 sq ft supermarket in the Metro Detroit area. I've been doing this for 7 yrs, its a family business. Well business is not good at all and I am considering selling. Trust me I already hate people. This store sees over 400 people a day.

I have considered starting a salvage parts business in the past, but didn't have the time. I did some parting out of sport bikes in the past several years out of my garage and that proved to be profitable. Where can I find out what is needed to start a junkyard? I realize it would be easier to buy an existing one, but a quick search shows nothing available. Can you please link me to the other post, I ran a search and couldn't find anything. I am focused on doing the research bc it will be a total career life change for me.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/12/12 5:14 p.m.

You might start here.

http://www.junkyarddog.com/yardsforsale.htm

From there you might be able to link to the information you need.

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer Reader
1/12/12 5:29 p.m.

I could have fun owning a salvage yard.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Dork
1/12/12 5:38 p.m.

I'll tell you this and it's getting hard to do: buy low, sell high.

Reason: LKQ. They are the "WalMart" of the JY biz. They can buy things that the little guy can't, either from speed, volume, or cost.

The days of buying $500 "junkers" and turning 500+% profit days are over. And that is straight from a guy I went to HS with and now runs what was once his mom and dad's JY.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
1/12/12 5:44 p.m.
thunderzy wrote: This is my story. I already own and operate a 20,000 sq ft supermarket in the Metro Detroit area. I've been doing this for 7 yrs, its a family business. Well business is not good at all and I am considering selling. Trust me I already hate people. This store sees over 400 people a day. I have considered starting a salvage parts business in the past, but didn't have the time. I did some parting out of sport bikes in the past several years out of my garage and that proved to be profitable. Where can I find out what is needed to start a junkyard? I realize it would be easier to buy an existing one, but a quick search shows nothing available. Can you please link me to the other post, I ran a search and couldn't find anything. I am focused on doing the research bc it will be a total career life change for me.

What kind of groceries? I mean, typical stuff, or organic, hippie, living, what? And, where are you????

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
1/12/12 5:46 p.m.

So how many of you want a junk yard just to fund your crapcar race team?

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/12/12 6:07 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Standard supermarket, located in Farmington.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/12/12 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Anyway you can put me in touch with him?

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/12/12 6:50 p.m.

Down the road from my Inlaws and only a few miles from me is a small airplane, airport w/ grass runway. It is a family run business. While in highschool, the two boys used to sell lawn mowers from the roadside and do mower repair as well.
After highschool the boys took over one of airplane hangers and started parting out motorcycles. I think they have 4 hangers now and in the past two years they have each build new 1800sq ft houses on the family property. They seem to be doing well and it does not take up that much space.

I think they only sell through ebay. Here is a sample and they have a feedback of 11,009
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-gl1500-gl-1500-goldwing-left-saddle-bag-saddlebag-/220296819291?hash=item334ab6b25b&item=220296819291&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I think this link will take you to his 17,745 listings for his ebay store.
http://stores.ebay.com/Mikes-Motorcycle-Parts?_trksid=p4340.l2563

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
1/12/12 7:11 p.m.

The guys working the counter at the junkyard nearest me each carry a pistol on their belt and have a shotgun stood up against the wall behind them. I asked once if they felt unsafe working at a cash and carry lot, and was told "Not anymore."

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/12/12 7:14 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: You will learn to hate people, but you will make good dough.

That explains why they're all shiny happy people.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
1/12/12 8:02 p.m.
nderwater wrote: The guys working the counter at the junkyard nearest me each carry a pistol on their belt and have a shotgun stood up against the wall behind them. I asked once if they felt unsafe working at a cash and carry lot, and was told "Not anymore."

We have 4 guns in my store. My uncle, I worked along side, and myself conceal ours and we have .45 in the cash office and one shotgun in the back. My family has been doing business in the heart of Detroit for more than 40 yrs. My store is the only one outside the city. But we act like its in the city. You can never be too careful.

This is all good info. Please keep it coming. I'm getting more serious about this by the minute.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/12/12 8:13 p.m.

One of the coolest junkyards in the western Chicago suburbs cleaned it up and sold the and (Hub Auto).

My buddies father & uncle owned it and cashed in after a long run. Tough business.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/12/12 8:35 p.m.

I'd love to own a junkyard. My problem is that, same as if I had a whorehouse, I'd be my own best customer and go flat broke.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/16/18 12:31 p.m.

This thread from 2012 (yeah, 6 years ago) revived by someone with their second posting ever in to hawk a specific JY.   Interestingil, this person's only other posting was 4 years ago to hawk the same exact thing.  Bye Bye to Lulolito

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/16/18 1:48 p.m.

This would be a great idea!  60 years ago.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
4/16/18 2:12 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks for the background/story behind these canoe revivals, I find it amusing laugh

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
4/16/18 3:00 p.m.

Awhile back I watched a fellow patron of the junkyard use a claw hammer to go down the row busting taillights to steal the light bulbs from within each car. 

Last week I saw a fellow use a hatchet to bludgeon a Honda D series aluminum valve cover apart so he could get the plastic upper timing belt cover off the engine. Taking those five little 10mm bolts loose to remove the valve cover was too much trouble I guess.

It's only a matter of time until the self service junkyard is extinct. Here in Fort Worth, the junkyard row has gone from 10+ yards to 3 in the last few years. The writing is on the wall.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/16/18 5:56 p.m.

I posted on here some time ago of a yard fo sale near me.  I'll have to see i it still is.

Greywynd
Greywynd New Reader
4/16/18 10:49 p.m.

The self serve yards are getting less common here, unless they know you. 

A lot of them also switched from parts yards to scrap yards the last number of years. They can drain, strip and scrap way more cars than they can sell parts, so guess it’s like walmart, go big on volume. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ILRsS5kEOnLlVUItljYXpnidpIRX2RHvB9bJf1wWJvktyhJUb8mAWOgKPcWuXdaH