1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 137
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/21/21 11:33 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

That looks beautiful. For better or worse, there are quite a few uncommon brands that make/made incredible guitars but because the name doesn't have a lot of recognition, values tend to drop quite a bit from the original purchase price, which probably was fairly high at the time.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
9/21/21 2:45 p.m.

Payday!

I know it's not fancy, but I really like these "unfinished" maple necks. I used to always take the finish off stuff back when I was a real rockstar (aspiring) and had to personalize everything. This is the Contrmporary HH model, and the ads say the buckers are high output. Should get me by for a while. Stoked to get it home and plug it into my amp. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 3:50 p.m.

Score!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/21/21 4:15 p.m.

NGD! Congrats! Looks sweet!

I've had an urge to get a Tele-shaped thing, but I really have no need for one. There's "no vacancy at the inn" right now; my guitar rack overfloweth. I might trade in a Jackson I have that never gets played on one if I find the right one over the winter. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 4:19 p.m.

An HH Tele is my next guitar, so I'm stoked for you! Let us know how it plays!

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/21/21 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

When I was first learning, saving all my pennies to buy my first electric, the music shop in town was running a sale on MiM teles. $249! I finally got enough saved and went to get one, based entirely on liking the look of the neck pickup and the fact that all my classmates had strats and none of them knew what a telecaster was, and the sale was over. Missed it by weeks and the sales guy refused to help me out. That put teles in my sights and they've never left. 21 year infatuation. Leo really knocked it out of the park with this design. I'll maintain that it's the most versatile stock guitar out there. From jazz to country to the heaviest metal. Get one. Get six. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/21/21 6:06 p.m.

Meet "more paul"

2015 Prs Se 245 standard. It looks a lot like my last LP (red/chrome) and I was hooked. Plays *way* better than the other ones I was ragging about. Barely used and only a small finish chip in the neck. Action is a hair low and strings are a bit light for me but easily fixed. Now time to learn to play again. This is a gem I would put up against any other mid range guitar and blows my old Epi LP out of the water in how it sounds even as is. I can see folks liking the fancy maple finishes but it hit all the right buttons for me. 

9/21/21 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not a guitarist, so my opinion doesn't mean E36 M3, and I'm not saying this because Jack's on here, but I've never seen or heard a PRS that was anything less than amazing. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/21/21 7:49 p.m.

Woo hoo!  Glad you found one and you like it!  Looks like new too...score!!  Enjoy!

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/21/21 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Pete, I appreciate that but in the weirdest way we are probably the most critical of our own stuff and see things to improve regularly (constantly). So we never quite leave it alone...which is good for everyone else but it will drive you a little crazy sometimes on the inside!  
Mr. Wallens has been through our shop a couple of times and can probably attest to our quirky and seemingly neurotic behavior. At the same time, people appreciating what we do fuels us and keeps us moving. (so thanks!)

9/21/21 8:10 p.m.
jh36 said:

Woo hoo!  Glad you found one and you like it!  Looks like new too...score!!  Enjoy!

Many thanks for your help in the journey. Some pretty interesting and subtle changes year over year on these. The neck "binding/fret" area feels way smoother on this one than the others I played.  

I think an s2 mccarthy single cut is next laugh if/after I get some skill back. 

9/21/21 8:16 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

I can believe that, and I'm sure it's what gives you guys that advantage. With Fender & Gibson, from outside the industry it seemed like by the the 1990's they were pretty much just riding on their legacies - and it seems like that almost led to their demise a few years later. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/21/21 9:04 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Check out Gabriel Marin's pedalboard setup. :)

Seems kinda smallsurprise​​​​​

I also think he would be much happier playing synths. Pretty much nothing there if blindfolded I would identify as guitar lol

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/21 10:23 p.m.
jh36 said:

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Pete, I appreciate that but in the weirdest way we are probably the most critical of our own stuff and see things to improve regularly (constantly). So we never quite leave it alone...which is good for everyone else but it will drive you a little crazy sometimes on the inside!  
Mr. Wallens has been through our shop a couple of times and can probably attest to our quirky and seemingly neurotic behavior. At the same time, people appreciating what we do fuels us and keeps us moving. (so thanks!)

My wife has already promised me a PRS when I get good enough at playing (which is probably never).

9/22/21 5:12 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

My wife has already promised me a PRS when I get good enough at playing (which is probably never).

The SE and even S2 lines are surprisingly affordable. Not that I like to be an enabler. You can even get a (@#*$& nice US model for what an old/worn LP costs these days (that would have been considered almost "junk" 20yrs ago)

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/21 9:05 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

The SE and even S2 lines are surprisingly affordable. Not that I like to be an enabler. You can even get a (@#*$& nice US model for what an old/worn LP costs these days (that would have been considered almost "junk" 20yrs ago)

Gibson's are stupid spendy really. I'm a huge LP fan but most of their top of the line stuff has been garbage recently. BFGs and the Faded series seem better really.

I've told the story before, I went into a music store with the money to buy a Gibson LP Standard......and walked out with an Epiphone. The Epi is spectacular and I've been offered a lot for it but the Gibson's were not worth the price at all.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/21 10:31 p.m.

The DX7s update you've not been waiting for!

My real MIDI interface showed up so I could load voices into the keyboard using my Macbook. Took a bit of futzing around (why does Roland offer a UM-1, a UM-ONE and a UM-ONE Mk2 that each need a different driver for OSX 10.13 or 10.14 or 10.15?) but I got there. Danger zone, baby.

I replaced the internal battery on the synth so it won't suffer amnesia every time it's unplugged. It's no longer a soldered-in unit, I added a daughterboard with a circuit that allows me to use a standard CR2032 when I go to replace it next decade. Sorry, no pics.

And when I was noodling around with it - plugged into my Goodwill-sourced Leslie 60 speakers, which finally have a purpose now - I decided to see if I could use my little Raspberry Pi-powered palmtop just because. And it turns out that Linux has this as a native capability. No drivers, no extra software, just plug in the interface and type in a magic incantation. It can also use my cheap $8 cable. Perfect.

Imagine the relative processing power of the synth and that goofy little palmtop.

I'll get a picture of the setup soon, it's in my home office and should provide excellent distraction during Zoom calls.

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/23/21 11:19 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Mr Tanner, you are the biggest dork here, and also the biggest dork here. Fairly sure I mean that as a compliment. laugh

Glad you're having fun with it. I would not have the patience. Also I have the attention span of a boiled peanut. 

9/24/21 7:19 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

That's rad! And I totally agree with Shaun - I have neither the patience nor attention span to deal with fiddly stuff like that. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/24/21 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I've played a few Epiphones that were really good. Most recently (actually... about 5 years ago...) was a Epi LP Custom Silverburst on the used rack at the Guitar Center in NH.  I damn near bought it until I thought about the 4 Les Pauls I already have at home (and have since added a 5th, although lent/gave one away). However, this was long before the Adam Jones model was even a rumor. I'm sure that guitar is now worth more than double what GC wanted for it (about $500, IIRC).

I am so picky about how a neck feels that I don't really like any of the new Gibson Les Paul models made since the mid 80's.  I like a pretty thin neck and most of the current models seem to have necks patterned after the '59 neck, which I really don't like very much.  While there are a lot of guitars out there I like the looks of, I am hesitant to buy any of them without playing it first due to that reason.  I already have too many guitars I don't play enough and don't need to add to the dusting chore.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/21 8:19 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

At least used CEs are also pretty affordable, too. I like mine a lot, especially the neck finish as I'm not a fan of super high gloss necks.

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/24/21 12:24 p.m.

Anybody have experience with amp simulators/modelers? The new digs won't allow me to flex the tubes and I'd rather like to keep doing home recording, as well as practice. I use Reaper and have an interface, but not sure if I'd be better off to buy something like a Headrush board MX5 or some software plugin like Amplitube
thoughts and suggestions welcome. Let's be budget friendly. Accuracy in the modeling is important. For the real thing I like Mesa Mk series, JCM/JVM/JMP marshalls, and Ampeg/Orange stuff for bass. Seems like most folks offer a good selection of the stuff. But just some more info. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/24/21 12:37 p.m.

There are some little Yamaha modeling amps (THR10 and THR5) that have a fair bit of flexibility and setup options, plus you can use headphones. Might be more convenient for practice than using a compooter. I cannot vouch for their modeling accuracy because I don't have the experience, but reviews seem good. I have one and I was pleased with it until I discovered it was fun to build amps and it got stuck in a closet.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/24/21 2:51 p.m.

It seems to depend on your budget. The higher the budget, the better the simulation quality. I've been casually looking into it, but since I have a collection of amps I am more inclined to get something like an Ox or a Suhr reactive load.  Some have IR models loaded and some you just use a plug-in in your DAW. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/24/21 5:22 p.m.

My reading so far on various forums leads me to believe that multi-effects pedals like the line-6 helix and the Headrush offer a more realistic experience than the software emulators. Food for thought. 

1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oDoQo4YO7cxPRIGXmKiKIuxBEX8cU8aiY9XYC78Zsg1Aggrj2f2YneI5b8YdiYJq