1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 136
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/21 5:27 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

Perhaps... I also know myself and my general impatience for programming and fiddling.  Despite the number of pedals and rack pieces I have, I'm really a "plug into the amp" kinda guy.

I like the Ox because it seems to be pretty easy. It can be an attenuator to load down an amp to line level for recording and the iPad interface appears to be fairly user-friendly.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/24/21 7:58 p.m.

The Fender Mustang amps aren't bad at all, I bought the 15w version for $100 years ago and it does a decent job IMO

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
9/27/21 12:06 a.m.

After putting more than a few hours on it, I can say it's a keeper. I really like the body relief, the individual saddles, and the plastic dingle on the pickup switch. And the painted headstock. And the pickups. And the pickups themselves. They are advertised as high output, and whoever set it up fiddled with the poles a bit. They're good. They're not metal, per se, but clear and very responsive, even at high gain. I think I'll leave them. I could do with the fret dots being white (not sure I want to attempt that surgery) as well as the pick guard, and I intend to swap out the pots for individual volume controls. I wonder if I could wire a push/pull as volume/tone... homework!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
9/27/21 10:54 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

An option I've looked at for my Tele is stacked pots with corresponding stacked knobs - 4 controls in 2 pot locations.  Stewmac sells them. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/27/21 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Sounds like a great solution. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/28/21 8:12 a.m.

That's a fn cool Tele.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/21 8:38 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I'm not a guitarist, so my opinion doesn't mean E36 M3, and I'm not saying this because Jack's on here, but I've never seen or heard a PRS that was anything less than amazing. 

My instructor is a longtime gigging musician and can play anything as he also owns his own shop. He's been playing PRS since the '80s: reliable, perfectly balanced, stays in tune, sounds great and, oh, looks fantastic. I figure it's kinda like the Snap-on wrench of guitars. 

And, yeah, the factory tours are way cool. Everyone's so passionate about the part that they play. Looking forward to my next visit. :)

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/6/21 5:22 a.m.

I transacted on the VT-40. It is a perfect single coil amp. It does weigh a ton but my gigging days are pretty much done. I'm not an expert but it appears to be an early example, probably 1970-71. Probably more than I should have spent but I don't think I will ever be able to replicate this sound another way...and once you've heard it...

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/21 5:37 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

It looks like it's in really good condition too. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/21 10:10 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Old Ampegs are desirable in many circles though and that looks to be in pretty good shape.

My bet is the "high" you paid now will be the "low" in years to come

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/6/21 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

It is in even better shape than the pic appearance. It's a little dusty from my shop and that is not a tear in the grill cloth. All the rockers, toggles and pots have a snappy new feeling. The speakers are original...as are the tubes as far as I can tell. It has spent at least a good portion of the past 50 years in studios. I bought it off my boss from his studio. So it hasn't been smashed like most gear I own. I'm satisfied. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/6/21 11:54 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

We should schedule a track jam somewhere somehow. I will bring it. 

10/6/21 12:25 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Congrats, sound like you got a good one.

Getting the best of something desirable really pays off in the long run almost always anyway. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/6/21 1:50 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

After putting more than a few hours on it, I can say it's a keeper. I really like the body relief, the individual saddles, and the plastic dingle on the pickup switch. And the painted headstock. And the pickups. And the pickups themselves. They are advertised as high output, and whoever set it up fiddled with the poles a bit. They're good. They're not metal, per se, but clear and very responsive, even at high gain. I think I'll leave them. I could do with the fret dots being white (not sure I want to attempt that surgery) as well as the pick guard, and I intend to swap out the pots for individual volume controls. I wonder if I could wire a push/pull as volume/tone... homework!

Nice! I love my Joe Duplantier Charvel Tele, it's the cheaper satin white from a few years ago.

Picked it up off Reverb for less then new with Bill Keliher's signature Lace pickups and a pro-setup. Sounds and plays AMAZING. But I've been neglecting all my guitars lately. 

Need to fix that soon.

10/6/21 7:31 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Too bad you aren't heading to the Challenge. It was fun jamming with Nonack & Wallens at the track in 2019 until they turned off our power. 

I'm thinking I need to make it out to Hyperfest sometime though after hearing the stories & seeing the pics. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/7/21 5:42 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I think the plan is to move Hyperfest back to May for 2022. I am seriously considering setting up a small rig at the bus in the paddock for jams on Friday night. A lot of folks asked if we were going to be playing. That would fit in with my PRS/GRM grill fest. 
I say we pencil this idea in. 

10/7/21 8:55 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Oh that sounds cool! I'll look for the 2022 event details & see if we can make it up there. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/9/21 8:31 p.m.

I demoed a Headrush pedalboard this afternoon. Modeling has come a LONG way in the last ten years. It was not quite good enough for me to want to sell my real amps, but plenty to play with especially for practicing silently. Imma order the little brother MX5 board when I get some funds freed up. Plus, it's called an MX5, so how could I refuse?

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/25/21 11:26 p.m.

Finally got my drums to the new place. Turns out, walk-in closets are actually pretty cool. 

And all but 3 of my guitars and one cabinet fit in with more closet space left for actual closet stuff than we had before. I'll take it. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
10/28/21 10:39 a.m.

I finally pulled my little Ibanez TSA15 head out from under the piano where it's been collecting dust for a couple years and ordered new tubes to hopefully get it up and running again. Now I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for the parts to get here because I remember how much I liked this amp.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
10/31/21 10:45 p.m.

I've had my Vox VX50BA for about six months now... and I really can't think of anything better for a small bass amp. 1x8, ported and tuned enclosure, 50 watts, weighs 10 lbs, and is the size of a shoebox. Also, it's a hybrid amp containing a Korg NuTube. 

Super happy with it so far...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
11/2/21 12:33 p.m.

My old bass player is either a terrible friend or a class A enabler...

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
11/2/21 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Those are smexy!!! Who makes it? (cause reasons)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/2/21 2:24 p.m.

I played a really nice replica Dan Armstrong bass a few years back. Heavy as a mountain, but it was cool!

11/2/21 3:00 p.m.

Bad Cats?

Let us know how you like them, they make a couple LPs I'd like to try

1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gNzLu0Ey74isYbSMYR6pyGV5ECU7d8EYmw4i5tdW1s4YcGyjH3GD1S7TXVPzqO29