1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 137
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/9/22 3:05 p.m.

I'm starting to accumulate ride cymbals now, got 2 more on the way with one being incredibly weird.

This Pearl Wild is apparently one of the earlier "better" ones and has an interesting hollow sort of sound. I bought it for a song and more than likely I'm gonna add rivets to either this one or the one I got from barefootcyborg. Sizzle rides are interesting IMO

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
10/10/22 6:27 p.m.

News to me. I'm not a country guy normally, so you'd think I wouldn't give two hoots about a b-bender on an acoustic, but here we are. Skip to 9:58:

Antihero
10/10/22 9:08 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

News to me. I'm not a country guy normally, so you'd think I wouldn't give two hoots about a b-bender on an acoustic, but here we are. Skip to 9:58:

That is interesting and I'm pretty much anti Country music. Like ....the only country I like is when it's ancient on a slide guitar and called Blues. Although there is a southern gothic playlist on Spotify I like a little bit but it's not really country at all.

Antihero
10/10/22 9:10 p.m.

So this ride is definitely different, when have you ever seen a 14" crash/ride? 

The downside is it was supposed to be insanely loud......they have never heard the crashes on my set then lol.

barefootcyborg5000
10/10/22 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Hand hammered and it's called Rude. ¡Me gusta!

Antihero
10/10/22 10:37 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Hand hammered and it's called Rude. ¡Me gusta!

It's a Paiste from apparently 82. I bought it in a whim but apparently it's pretty rare

Antihero
10/14/22 8:21 p.m.

Another ride has landed, this one is a Sabian Monarch Big and Ugly and it lives up to its name. Definitely a different sound from anything else I e got too. Reverb guy shipped it in a pungent used paint drop cloth which was annoying though.

barefootcyborg5000
10/15/22 6:10 p.m.

Updated guitar situation. We're been shuffling stuff and reorganizing, and I consolidated my stringed stuff into one place. 

We'll call it the wall of dusty neglect. Maybe staring at the arsenal every morning will motivate me to play more. 
L to R: epiphone gothic explorer, Cort B4, Yamaha motive, Gretsch 5100(?), Cort 5, Japanese lawsuit era J bass, Ibanez artcore, Epiphone ej200. Not pictured is my LP I've loaned out. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/6/22 1:06 a.m.

Sold a guitar so I could buy a new cymbal. The Ks are multiplying:

hats aren't Ks (new beats are good tho), but on the right is a new used 17" K hybrid. Super thin edges, not lathed in the center. Picked up on my way to get the new s10 today. Total triumph of a trip. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/15/22 12:18 a.m.

And I think it's complete. Shocking how expensive a $100 drum kit is. 

The baby speed cobra. Long boards and aggressive geometry. Quite different from the Pearl single I've been using. It's good though. Now to put in my 10000 hours to master the thing. Lessons should resume end of next week. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/15/22 1:20 a.m.

So a slightly on-topic/off-topic question. 

I have 4 very different guitars and a bass (a cheap Squire strat that's all stock, at E Standard, a sweet Charvel Tele with ridiculous Bill Kehiler pickups that cost almost as I paid for the guitar at D# standard, my Brent Hinds Epi FLying V at D standard, and a cheap 8 string at standard tuning), but I have rarely touched them the last year or so. When you're in a funk about not wanting to mess with it, how do you get yourself back into the mood to spend some time rebuilding the calluses on your fingers?

barefootcyborg5000
11/15/22 2:45 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Having spent some time on that same V, I know you have bigger hands than me. That neck is chonky. I can't play it. 

As to your question, the only thing I know that works is to make it fun again. Practice is a chore. Chores may be rewarding, but they are tedious. Fun may be learning a new song, or making a new sound (effects or similar) or finding someone to play with. For me, it's usually finding someone else to play with. I usually try to agree on half a dozen songs or so to learn together, and that'll do the trick for several weeks at least. Last ditch would be to just force a regiment. Put a half hour aside every day for just rudiments and force yourself to adhere. Run scales, picking patterns, speed exercise (with metronome dammit!) you'll get the hard stuff done, and you'll be warmed up and already have a guitar in hand for doing fun after doing work. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/15/22 1:31 p.m.

Did you all see Dolly Parton's new guitar?

Dolly Parton played a $99 mini electric guitar at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Kinda tempting just because. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/16/22 1:07 p.m.

Anyone ever messed with the EVH lunchbox 5150? I leaned into one pretty hard yesterday at a local place and I may need to rethink my Orange. 
The Animal

Gonna have to think on it. 

*edit

I thought on it. Thinking always gets me in trouble though, so I took my amp in and ran both back to back. the EVH is really good. The clean channel is fantastic. The lead channel is punchy and tight and aggressive. The whole deal is super good. But this little orange. The EVH punches, but the Orange sings. It stays. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/22 2:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Did you all see Dolly Parton's new guitar?

Dolly Parton played a $99 mini electric guitar at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony

Kinda tempting just because. 

Yes and I also want one. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/16/22 3:08 p.m.

My brother-in-law has a '69 Gibson EB-0 in his store for sale right now...

Gibson EB-0

Antihero
11/16/22 7:37 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

My brother-in-law has a '69 Gibson EB-0 in his store for sale right now...

Gibson EB-0

Nice! My favorite bass really

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/17/22 9:59 a.m.

Those old Gibson basses from that era are amazing. Years ago, I played an early 70's EB-3 (has 2 pickups) and man, it was something else. I am still kicking myself for not buying a 70's Ripper that had some serious finish/pickguard wear in the late 90's before relicing was a thing for $250 from a local Guitar Center.It felt like nothing else, and sounded incredible. I ended up buying an Epiphone Les Paul instead. And while I love that thing, I really should have gotten the Gibson Ripper in hindsight. D'oh!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/18/22 11:20 a.m.

Gah... my little Peavey Microbass is making flatulent sounds... again... 

When I picked this up, it was doing the same thing. The rear output jack was the culprit, and jiggling it around fixed it. This time, that's not helping. So, I'll have to pull it apart (again) to see if I can ID the issue. I was about to do a speaker upgrade to it, but if the amplifier section is trashed, there's no point. 

I'd love to find another small form factor (and affordable) bass practice amp that doesn't suck. Might be in the market for one soon. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/18/22 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

If you do end up shopping, look at the little fender rumble amps. Class D, so super light and powerful. Lots of built-in tone shaping tools, and pretty cheap too. I'm a big fan. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
11/18/22 11:37 a.m.

I'm also a fan of the little Fender Rumble practice amps. My back loves it too. So easy to carry around

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/18/22 11:42 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I bought one of those for my nephew a few years back. It was the smallest one, but I remember it being pretty decent. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/18/22 12:07 p.m.

Oh they're good. For home practice, the 40w is more than enough and even new it's only like $200. The bigger 100w is seriously impressive for its size and weight. I love my 80w 15" peavey, but only until I need to move it. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/18/22 12:08 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

If you do end up shopping, look at the little fender rumble amps. Class D, so super light and powerful. Lots of built-in tone shaping tools, and pretty cheap too. I'm a big fan. 

A friend who tours–like four dudes in a van crisscrossing the country–traded a tube head for an Orange class D amp. I asked why. Simply easier on the back. He adds a little grit with a pedal. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/18/22 1:33 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I also have a BIG Peavey Combo 115 300w combo. It's a monster, but I love it. The problem is I do 99% of my playing in my tiny office, and it doesn't fit well in here. Hence why I have the practice amp. 

I've tossed around the idea of doing a little Class D head and a small 10 or 12" cab to replace it all. If I ever gig again (a pipe dream at this point), I can always get a larger cab. But price gets in the way; most of the nice stuff is going to cost quite a bit. 

1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TAuEuonWwdPzU82WomBG6pvuDK0UOQ1XRnC2AHYMHEUJXupe3mzCdPc14Ntnrhkh