1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 ... 136
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/18/22 2:14 p.m.

After futzing with my little Microbass amp again, yup, it was the rear output jack. I don't know why, but Peaveys are notorious for this. My Studio Pro 112 does the same thing sometimes. I was able to get it working again, but I will likely pull this all apart and reflow the solder joints at the input to make sure it doesn't happen anymore. Still going to explore the Class D stuff anyway, but this gives me a bit more time. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/22 8:27 p.m.

Got a new cymbal, my friend saw it and said " That looks like it was made from a dragon scale!" Now I can unsee it lol.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/18/22 10:26 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Or a metallic avocado 

Antihero
11/18/22 11:53 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Or a metallic avocado 

But dragon scale sounds cooler

barefootcyborg5000
11/18/22 11:58 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Agreed. Probably actually sounds better too. I would imagine a dragon scale to be a usable percussion tool, where an avocado would just sound like a wet E36 M3 hitting the floor. 

Antihero
11/19/22 1:01 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Agreed. Probably actually sounds better too. I would imagine a dragon scale to be a usable percussion tool, where an avocado would just sound like a wet E36 M3 hitting the floor. 

.........now I have to try hitting an avocado, you know ....for science!

barefootcyborg5000
11/19/22 1:37 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I mean, without a control we wouldn't be able to make a valid comparison. 

I kinda want to see what actual percussion could be done using avocado pits.. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/26/22 1:01 a.m.

So that '69 Gibson EB-0 in my brother's shop? I sat down and played it today for about 45 minutes. It's just... wow... I mean, jeez. It's so mellow and thick. Like playing inside a jar of honey. Absolutely glorious noises, probably one of the best basses I've ever heard. Definitely the best I've ever played. 

No, I didn't buy it. I can't afford it. Sometimes, adulting sucks. Still, just gobsmacked by the tone...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/26/22 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Do I want to ask the going rate for an EB-0?

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/26/22 6:07 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

Do I want to ask the going rate for an EB-0?

2k. It's in fantastic shape, some cracking of the finish, no major dings or scratches, bridge cover and mute are still intact. 

David S. Wallens
11/26/22 7:32 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Sounds nice. Too nice for me, though. I'm sure it will go to a good home. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
11/26/22 8:52 p.m.
Antihero said:

Got a new cymbal, my friend saw it and said " That looks like it was made from a dragon scale!" Now I can unsee it lol.

What did they do, throw rocks at that?  Seriously that looks like they hammered it with a sledgehammer.   I’m assuming it’s really heavy too?  

Antihero
11/26/22 9:33 p.m.
11GTCS said:
Antihero said:

What did they do, throw rocks at that?  Seriously that looks like they hammered it with a sledgehammer.   I’m assuming it’s really heavy too?  

It's actually pretty light, I'm surprised by the hammering too. It's very unique, very dry sound.

Antihero
11/26/22 9:34 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

So that '69 Gibson EB-0 in my brother's shop? I sat down and played it today for about 45 minutes. It's just... wow... I mean, jeez. It's so mellow and thick. Like playing inside a jar of honey. Absolutely glorious noises, probably one of the best basses I've ever heard. Definitely the best I've ever played. 

No, I didn't buy it. I can't afford it. Sometimes, adulting sucks. Still, just gobsmacked by the tone...

"Playing in a jar of honey" about perfectly describes my favorite bass tones.

2k isn't a bad price either

David S. Wallens
11/27/22 9:57 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Yup. Thick, heavy, sweet. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/28/22 12:28 p.m.

Speaking of bass stuff, I'm mildly shopping for a new amp. 
What I have is an old Peavey TKO "Sheffield 15" 80w combo. The speaker is an eminence Delta 15a I put in over a decade ago after the stocker succumbed to all the abuse. But in the intervening years the amp was stored improperly and doesn't work as good as it used to. All the controls are noisy, the volume swells and fades, there are random noises and popping. Also the combo weighs 90lbs. 

So I'm weighing my options.

1- I could possibly fix it, find/test for faulty components, clean and lubricate. I'm not hugely confident, but I don't have anything to lose either. 
2- take it to the man. I have a really good amp tech, but past experience says average repair is $200. Possibly less, but not under $100. Possibly also more, transformers aren't cheap. 
3- and this is where I'm looking for ideas. I may scrap the amp and rebuild the enclosure with a different power section. Speaker handles 300w RMS iirc. If I could shave a few lbs and gain a little power I'd be pretty happy. Something maybe classD with 7-9 band EQ? Idk. There's a lot of cool stuff out there these days for not a lot of money.

Suggestions?

David S. Wallens
11/28/22 12:32 p.m.

I paid like $300 for my '60s Univox tube amp. Just saying. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/28/22 12:42 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I know there are good alternatives out there. My only real attachment to this unit is the speaker, but selling the entire thing towards a Rumble 100... Or something else. Idk. Lots of possibilities. 

David S. Wallens
11/28/22 1:34 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

There are. I went through a bunch of bass amps before landing on this one. Love it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/28/22 2:18 p.m.

Before you spend money, check to see if you are having the same rear output jack issues that my Peavey Microbass and Studio Pro 112 amps have. Both of those things exhibit crackling, volume fading/cutting out, etc and it's all stemming from that rear output jack's solder joints/grounding. Jiggle it around and see if it helps. At worst, you'll have to re-solder the jack or replace it. 

If that doesn't help, I vote to just replace the whole thing. I see those TKO 115's sell for $75-150 around here all the time. In the $200-300 range, you can get a really great combo amp if you want to spend a little more. My Peavey Combo 115 (the bigger version of the TKO) was $299 brand new a few years back, but they don't make it anymore. The thing weighs as much as a house and can shake the entire neighborhood at half volume. I've also seen some really nice combos, like Markbass, Traynor/Yorkville, Hartke, GK, Genz-Benz, and older SWR stuff, well into that price range, which would be a nice upgrade. My nephew just scored a great Markbass combo in that range. The thing is killer! 

barefootcyborg5000
11/28/22 2:21 p.m.

Aaaaaaand... scrolling through reverb I found my old fender 300ps for very reasonable money. Way more than I can spend, and way more power than I need. 300w via 6x6505 tubes. Nearly 80lbs of hand wired awesomeness. 
https://reverb.com/item/53821181-fender-300-ps-bass-amp-300-watts?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=53821181

Damn. I don't need anything near 300w. And I don't need to haul an 80lb head either. But damn. 

*edit

The guy got back to me. 100% my old amp. That's funny. 

barefootcyborg5000
11/28/22 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Yeah, it may be a simple issue. It's a PIA to get into it though. Remove grille, remove speaker, remove amp, diag. There's no way to access anything without a full tear down. I may get froggy and do that though. I'd love something lighter, but free is better. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
11/28/22 4:00 p.m.

Free is pretty awesome...

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
11/28/22 4:52 p.m.

On my Studio Pro 112, I can just move the jack around slightly on the back and the problem disappears. Of course, fixing it "right" means complete removal, but try that first. Who knows, it may work! 

barefootcyborg5000
11/28/22 4:59 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

This TKO doesn't have anything accessible from the rear. Wires come straight from the board to the speaker. Completely sealed aside from a 2" round vent at the bottom. I should be able to remove it all from the enclosure and still test everything, just a little inconvenient. 

1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q1eH3PNPwRaxn9dWpbSQoTyRTjP5hOpM13230TpRGnEU3pJZg2EGeO7xRhY3fvwD