1 2 3 4 ... 136
Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/12 9:04 p.m.
phaze1todd wrote:
Gimp wrote:
phaze1todd wrote: In reply to Gimp: Just put ya on my TalkBass buddy list!
Gimme your name on the board!
just like you, same as here.

Rad.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/13/12 9:17 p.m.
Gimp wrote:
ransom wrote: I was really hoping to have something more interesting than my bargain-basement Epiphone Les Paul Jr copy to post at this point in the day, but CL dude hasn't called me back...
Post anyway!

Now that I ponder it, really an embarrassment of riches anyhow...

The aforementioned Epiphone. Ditchdigger and I walked into Guitar Center about 12 years or so ago, with me looking for a distortion pedal to get a better sound out of the Peavey Bandit and Hondo II Professional strat copy I was playing (which stayed in tune for at least 45 seconds at a time...) Ended up with this guitar, which helped a lot, and has been very good to me. Bridge pickup replaced with, IIRC, a Seymour Duncan Invader. Epiphone LP jr

My beloved Twin Reverb: twin

This Harmony, my dad found at the Salvation Army when I was about ten, with the neck separating from the body. He made up a turnbuckle out of spare wire and glued it back down. It still plays very nicely, with a bright, but full tone. Interesting kinda-tweener neck width; not as broad as a classical, but wider than a lot... Harmony

$125 Johnson (by AXL!) bass I picked up in hopes that I would spend more time trying to write full songs sketches with all parts, or inspire more writing by playing around with other song parts. Hasn't gotten as much use as it should so far... Johnson bass

Mandolin my aunt gave me on the condition I'd play it. I haven't given up yet! mandolin

My girlfriend's dad used to be a pro musician, and once told her "when in doubt, buy a guitar." I quote that a lot, but haven't heeded it yet (though I'm trying today). He's given her the indefinite loan of this Squier Telecaster with active pickups. tele

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
12/13/12 9:47 p.m.

I got no pics but..

82 LP Custom - rare wine/chrome combo 09 Epi LP Classic 94 Ibanez "$100" acoustic

Really want to get something else like an archtop or a tele but I dont have enough spare time to play to justify it!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/13/12 10:05 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Were those also called the TR Bass?
RD828. Part of the Roadbass Series.

Just realized who's in that ad.

Way metal.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/13/12 10:24 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Were those also called the TR Bass?
RD828. Part of the Roadbass Series.
Just realized who's in that ad. Way metal.

Yeah, now I really have to have one. I will be letting my friend know that his days with his "Roadbass" are numbered.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/13/12 10:49 p.m.

Here's the rest of the gang...

Ibanez TR70, and the Jackson PS4 and my beloved Warwick Streamer Standard:

They are sitting in front of my amps: a Peavey Studio Pro 112 (meh.) and my Peavey Combo 115 (love this thing, it's a BEAST).

The TR70 by itself... notice the "exploding skull" strap. So Metal!

Ibanez SR400 with active electronics, sounds great, but needs the pots cleaned and man, it is green!!!

Epiphone Les Paul, the Cherry Sunburst suckered me in. I think I want to put hotter pickups in this one.

Some no-name 60's Japanese bass. It is beat up and needs a new bridge and tuners. When I last had it working, it sounded downright nasty and growly, kinda like what Geezer Butler's early sound was.

I have lots of pics somewhere of me playing at gigs on my drum kit. I'll have to post those up when I find them.

RossD
RossD UberDork
12/14/12 7:43 a.m.

That bass looks like it was used by 'The Presidents of The United States of America' on Lump.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/14/12 7:54 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Here's the rest of the gang... Ibanez TR70, and the Jackson PS4 and my beloved Warwick Streamer Standard: They are sitting in front of my amps: a Peavey Studio Pro 112 (meh.) and my Peavey Combo 115 (love this thing, it's a BEAST). The TR70 by itself... notice the "exploding skull" strap. So Metal! Ibanez SR400 with active electronics, sounds great, but needs the pots cleaned and man, it is green!!! Epiphone Les Paul, the Cherry Sunburst suckered me in. I think I want to put hotter pickups in this one. Some no-name 60's Japanese bass. It is beat up and needs a new bridge and tuners. When I last had it working, it sounded downright nasty and growly, kinda like what Geezer Butler's early sound was. I have lots of pics somewhere of me playing at gigs on my drum kit. I'll have to post those up when I find them.

Someone vandalized your shelf.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/14/12 7:57 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Here's the rest of the gang... Ibanez TR70, and the Jackson PS4 and my beloved Warwick Streamer Standard: They are sitting in front of my amps: a Peavey Studio Pro 112 (meh.) and my Peavey Combo 115 (love this thing, it's a BEAST). The TR70 by itself... notice the "exploding skull" strap. So Metal! Ibanez SR400 with active electronics, sounds great, but needs the pots cleaned and man, it is green!!! Epiphone Les Paul, the Cherry Sunburst suckered me in. I think I want to put hotter pickups in this one. Some no-name 60's Japanese bass. It is beat up and needs a new bridge and tuners. When I last had it working, it sounded downright nasty and growly, kinda like what Geezer Butler's early sound was. I have lots of pics somewhere of me playing at gigs on my drum kit. I'll have to post those up when I find them.
Someone made your shelf AWESOME.

Fixed. I know many of you have an undying hatred for the Patriots, but I wouldn't be a MA**hole without loving them. Sniff it, haters!

I also forgot to post pics of my Ovation Celebrity acoustic/electric. It was in another room.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/14/12 7:57 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: The spare bedroom at my house gets to house my collection.

Damn... nice set-up... I really need to clean out my spare bedroom.

Here's a silly question: has anyone ever found a source for slat-wall guitar hangers?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/14/12 7:58 a.m.
RossD wrote: That bass looks like it was used by 'The Presidents of The United States of America' on Lump.

I'm not sure if it's the Guitbass or the Bassitar, but it will have all 4 when I'm done with it. I don't plan on touching any of the patina, I just want it to work properly. I might even try to "age" the hardware I put on it.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/14/12 8:39 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Epiphone Les Paul, the Cherry Sunburst suckered me in. I think I want to put hotter pickups in this one.

I <3 Cherryburst.

In my Ibanez Paul, I ended up putting a Gibson '59 reissue in the bridge position (the only position I used) and loved it. Nice and crunchy without being noisy as hell. The OE pickups (Super 80?) were plenty hot but damn were they noisy berkeleyers.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/14/12 8:43 a.m.

Also - since somebody mentioned gear - My guitar rig used to be a Boogie .50 Caliber head on top of a Boogie Split Back 4x12 cab. That's all gone now though. My Bass Rig was a Hartke 7000 on top of a Boogie 2x10 on top of a Carvin 18. The Bottom Cab is gone, but I still have the Hartke and Boogie. Makes for an easy to travel, yet still plenty ballsy rig.

In other news, I replied to a CL ad yesterday looking for someone to jam with and now on Sunday I will be playing with someone besides myself for the first time in probably 15 years. Kinda stoked / nervous...

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/14/12 8:57 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: They are sitting in front of my amps: a Peavey Studio Pro 112 (meh.) and my Peavey Combo 115 (love this thing, it's a BEAST).

That's funny, I've got a Peavy Studio Pro 112 and a Combo 115, though both of mine look to be a little older than yours. I used to play the 115 out for small gigs, until I blew it up. It's now the house/practice amp, since anything over half volume or so it crackles and cuts out. We mostly play smaller venues, and the larger ones have a house PA. This is my current gig amp, I think it's a B200R, or something like that. Whatever they call it, this thing is a beast for it's size.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/14/12 8:58 a.m.

Except mine has wheels and the tolex is a little torn up.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
12/14/12 9:10 a.m.

My first couple bands in high school I played that Cort through a Crate CR-212, like this one: About six or seven years it was plugged in at a friend's garage and the place got struck by lightening. I tried to fix it but it was toast. Then a month or two later I saw an amp on the side of the road on heavy trash day. It was a Crate G-212. Like this one: The cabinet was rough and the speakers were toast, but I pulled the amp out of it and put it into the other cabinet. Worked like a charm! There about an inch gap between the amp and the tolex because the CR had that big wood trim (that was attached to the amp itself), but other than that it's great!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
12/14/12 9:18 a.m.

My first amp was a Crate 1x10 cheesy practice amp. Had a Peavy 2x12 after that, then a Hartke combo that got stolen, then the Hartke rackmount.

My .50 calibre had some "customizing" that mostly looked like butchery, but was functional. I took off the tolex cover below the controls, and cut a big hole in the plywood below it, where I then mounted what was supposed to be a rackmount tuner. Then in the back I used various brackets to screw in a rackmount noisegate. Ran into the tuner, through the noise gate, and then into the amp. Had a 2 button switch where I could mute for tuning on one, and then channel switch on the other. Looked all hacked to hell, but it worked perfect for what I needed.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
12/14/12 9:38 a.m.

My first bass amp was an old Crate B80XL that looked like this one:

It lasted me through high school and a little bit after, but after a while, it got all crackly and eventually stopped working. It never sounded good, so I gave it away.

I am passing down my 1st guitar amp to my nephew with that Squier Strat I fixed up for him. It's one of these:

It works great, considering the abuse it's put up with over the years. It actually served as a bass amp for a little while too!

The Studio Pro 112 I'm not too thrilled with. I've had some issues with the foot switch and I think I overpaid for it. It sounds just ok. I could have done a lot better than this, but at least it works.

The Combo 115 was a steal. It was selling everywhere for $600+, and I picked it up brand new for $299 a few years ago. It shakes my house and actually has really good tone for such a big beast.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
12/14/12 9:54 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I am passing down my 1st guitar amp to my nephew with that Squier Strat I fixed up for him. It's one of these: It works great, considering the abuse it's put up with over the years. It actually served as a bass amp for a little while too!

I've got the same amp, it is my only amp (I only have one electric). Mine is the Fender version, but I'm 95% sure that on these the only difference is the name. Works fine for me; when I hear my brother play on it it reminds me that getting a new amp isn't going to help anything.

We have a Fender Champion, another Fender somethin (maybe 60W? little bigger than a practice amp) and a gigantic Randal that we got at a garage sale for $200.

alex
alex UltraDork
12/14/12 11:19 a.m.

I'm overdue for an updated family photo, but that will have to wait until I have a little more time. Here's what I can find on my various photo hosting sites at the moment, with a few crappy cell phone shots thrown in for good measure.

My pride and joy, my grab-this-in-case-of-fire item: my grandfather's '48 Epiphone Blackstone. This is the one he had leaning against the wall in the dining room, that he'd pick up and torture my mom and aunt with after dinner, singing his favorite country songs. He died several years before I was born, but his legacy, and in no small part his guitars, have had a profound influence on me.

After a couple decades of playing, this is the first one that felt like my guitar. It's a '64 Harmony Rocket H59, all original. I bought it from a guy who had the original case, Ace strap, coil cord and pick, all in under-the-bed condition. This one came to me shortly after I started playing with my country band Trigger 5 and was key in helping me find my sound. The Harmony was important enough to me that it formed the basis of the name and logo for my business.

Another shot of the Harmony, in front of my main amp, an early '90s USA Peavey Delta Blues. It's 30 watts of tube smoothness (or 15w, as I'm currently running it) with a giant bottom end that really compliments the Harmony. Atop the amp is my first Tele build.

It's a Guitarfetish Paulownia body (ridiculously light and astoundingly resonant), that I scuffed and rattlecanned a couple coats of red with a couple coats of satin black on top, so it will wear pretty quickly. It wears a big, fat Warmoth Mahogany Strat neck, a '69 Thinline style pickguard, Fender Original Vintage in the bride, Twisted Tele in the neck, and a 4 way switch on a reversed plate with Jaguar knobs. Since most of my other guitars are 50+ years old, I wanted this one to fit in, so I put a little age on all the shiny metal stuff with sulfuric acid. All flathead hardware (normally the bane of my existence), and the bridge screws I snatched from the body of my '31 Model A hotrod before I sold it. This was a really fun build, and it turned out surprisingly well. I actually gigged with it the night after I finished it, and its quickly become my #2. The pickups I blindly chose play very nicely together, and they're capable of a broad range of tones by rolling off the pots which, in addition to the 4 way (position 4 is both pickups in series, basically one giant humbucker), really makes for a versatile Tele in the guise of a pretty simple guitar. I'm thinking of slapping one of Guitarfetish's new B5-style vibrato tailpieces on it, because why the hell not?

My newest acquisition, a late '90s Danelectro Mod 7. This is from the Korean production run, and these were actually really solid guitars for the money. I previously had a Hodad that I was quite fond of, too. I've been looking for one of these for a while, and this one recently popped up at the right price. Still trying to figure out how it will fit in, but playing the 7 string is a fun new challenge, and it's pretty hard to find one that doesn't look like it's meant for shredding. Actually, I think Dano really nailed the new styles they were producing in the late '90s. This one looks classic without being derivative, which is a tall order for the conservative guitar market.

I call this one The Mongrel. It's currently down for electronic repair, but now that I think about it, aside from the Epi archtop, I've owned this guitar longer than any other. It's a mystery '60s Japanese semi-hollow with a neck that somebody sawed off a Hofner(!) and bolted on. The "craftsman" then routed the body for P90s, and it looks like he did it without wearing his glasses and while nearly blackout drunk. It plays better than it is ugly, and it's really ugly. The Hofner neck is wide and flat - pretty odd for the era - and the P90s are spanky and barky. Now that I'm writing about it, I kinda miss playing this weird old thing.

Then there's the Stanley, which you may have seen me write about before. This was made in prison by a convict named Clyde Stanley, then given to my grandfather when Clyde worked for him briefly in the mid-60s. A couple years after that, Clyde shot and killed his mistress and her husband, and went to prison for life. This guitar, among others, was stolen from my house when we were burglarized in February 2011. There's a lot more to this story, and if you're so inclined, you can read the whole story as I currently know it on this blog I wrote about it.

The Stanley tenor banjo, which I fortunately still have.

Not much to look at, but another guitar that's been in the family for 50-something years, this is an entry-level short scale Japanese Legion that my grandfather bought for my aunt to learn on when she was a kid. I have it tuned up to F#, and this is my knocking-around "recovery day" guitar, for the days that my fingers are dead from a 4+ hour show but I still want to play.

Another weird old one that was stolen at the same time, but without a dark backstory that I know of, was this little Norma. I mean, deeply weird. The body is a lot smaller than it looks in this picture, it sits really weird on your lap, there's pretty much no place to anchor your right hand, it played pretty funky and it desperately needed a fret dressing, but the redeeming quality that made all those flaws disappear was the pickups. Holy hell. Including '50s and '60s DeArmonds on my Harmony and the Stanley, I've never heard a better pickup than these things. Hot, fat, clear and articulate, just giant sounds from a tiny guitar. I'm pissed that I never got a chance to record with this thing. I'll find another one some day.

This funky sumbitch is a '60s USA Kay Vanguard. Needs some help with electronics, a bridge and neck binding, then it should be up and rocking again. Really excited to get this one back playing, it promises to be really cool.

A fairly recent acquisition, this is a '71Harmony H6563. USA made and all solid wood, it's a pretty sweet guitar. Has a bit of belly bulge that I intend to address when I'm feeling ambitious, but despite the high action it plays quite well, and sounds great in front of a mic.

My newest guitar in terms of construction, an Ibanez AK80-BS. These Artcores are so much nicer than any $300 Chinese guitar has any right to be. It's flawlessly constructed, plays like a dream, and has really great stock pickups. For a working guitar, these can't be beat. I previously had an AF80, sold it, went without a full size electric archtop for a while, then traded a Peavey Reactor AX for this one. I actually have this up for sale at the moment because I need to balance out the gear budget, but I'm sure I'll have another one of these at some point.

Finally, a '90s Ibanez TR505 Expressionist bass. A handsome devil that a generous friend gave to me a while back. One day I'll learn to play bass properly.

That, aside from a few pedals and a solid state Custom Kraft 1x15 20w amp pretty much rounds out the gear. For now...

RossD
RossD UberDork
12/14/12 2:18 p.m.

My '77 or '78 Tele Deluxe: Kalamazoo Model 2 I just refurbed (for sale, btw): My homemade almost done Fender Champ 5F1 (build thread to come):

some other random amp pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31936748@N00/sets/72157632248685296/

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/14/12 3:35 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

I have a friend with a Tele Deluxe, that's one mean & versatile guitar.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
12/15/12 4:40 p.m.

I am not a guitarist. Whenever I try to play one, my fingers do similar things to an old mechanical typewriter when you push too many keys at once. I don't even like a lot of "typical" guitar music.

Which is why it would be a terrible idea if I bought this off the local auction site, right?

Seriously, I haven't got the first clue what I'd do with the thing, but it looks like something Darth Vader would rock out on. Damn do I want it.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/15/12 6:29 p.m.

In reply to Jay:

Wow... I haven't seen one of those in years... decades, even.

Amusingly, I have an Ibanez synth guitar that looks similar, but is an actual guitar.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
12/16/12 1:31 p.m.

Went to an amazing show last night at a bar called Slabtown in Portland where I found this, the worlds coolest vending machine.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Top shelf is 1 to 10 foot patch cords, then Ernie Ball and D'Addario guitar strings, Single bass strings, Drum keys, Condoms, Drum sticks and Acoustic strings. How crazy awesome is this? With 13 bands playing 15 minute sets over the course of 5 hours it was put to good use as well.

1 2 3 4 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UqRbxwZNUaVA5GHSLkUY1qgiaIz29i4UcilQNQqkVkTeRVPwH7EoWoNHpwmGhIrJ