1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 136
barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
4/2/19 4:08 p.m.

So last day in Atlanta and the friends I came to visit are dirty enablers. 

Epiphone standard pro. Unbeatable price. Now I have to see what hoops I have to jump through to get it on the plane in a couple hours. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/2/19 5:40 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Those are nice guitars. Congrats!

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
4/2/19 6:51 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Thanks man. Been too long without an electric in the arsenal. Wasn’t planning to buy but that’s what I get when I go to a used guitar shop with money in my pocket. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/2/19 7:31 p.m.
Antihero said:
poopshovel again said:

I’ve got a TC Nova System for sale!

Didnt end up bonding with it?

I’m still holding on to a glimmer of hope. I need to spend more time fooling with the delay and reverb (maybe eliminating reverb.) Need to play with the harmonizer a little more as well. But I feel like this ends with me putting my relatively simple “dream board” together. As simple as it is, it’d cost around $800 though, and I’m not sure I should be dumping that kind of coin on “guitar stuff” right now.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
4/3/19 4:26 a.m.

Also if it hasn’t been mentioned yet an original iRig (<10$ on amazon) and the app AmpliTube (free but worth buying the whole bundle in-app) is a great tool for anyone in a position similar to mine where a “real” amp is too big/expensive/loud. Part of why I sold my half stack last year was I never played, and part of why I never played was small children and there is no way to turn a 100w Marshall low enough to suit infants. Practice amps just piss me off because they are only ever expensive imitations. I’d just as soon buy $100 worth of actual honest imitations than $80 worth of pawn shop combo garbage. Just saying. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/3/19 4:53 a.m.
barefootskater said:

Also if it hasn’t been mentioned yet an original iRig (<10$ on amazon) and the app AmpliTube (free but worth buying the whole bundle in-app) is a great tool for anyone in a position similar to mine where a “real” amp is too big/expensive/loud. Part of why I sold my half stack last year was I never played, and part of why I never played was small children and there is no way to turn a 100w Marshall low enough to suit infants. Practice amps just piss me off because they are only ever expensive imitations. I’d just as soon buy $100 worth of actual honest imitations than $80 worth of pawn shop combo garbage. Just saying. 

Oh yes there is.  Google "reactive load" from Suhr or OX. wink

poopshovel again
4/3/19 7:55 p.m.

Also: Has anyone heard from 16vCorey recently? I miss him, and he’s due for a triumphant return to the challenge.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/3/19 8:24 p.m.

my pedal board is still a plastic bin full of pedals.  Some day I'll have room in my house to spread them out and play with setting up a board. Or just mounting them all in my rack and controlling them through the Ground Control system I have.

Speaking of pedals, a fun rabbit hole to fall down on YouTube is the JHS Pedals channel.  Rather than an advertisement for JHS pedals, Josh Scott goes over types of pedals, their history, how to use them and vintage examples of pedals by all brands from his massive, hoarder-grade pedal collection.  The episodes are fun to watch.  I just watched his video on early chorus pedals from the 70's and 80's.  What was funny to me was he ended on the original Digitech Whammy pedal and using it as a manual chorus in the Detune setting - something I actually did with my Whammy pedal on a couple of songs with my old band back in the early 90's.

poopshovel again
4/4/19 6:28 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

YES! My favorite youtube channel!!!

bustedplug
bustedplug New Reader
4/5/19 12:51 p.m.

I've got a question for all you rock gods.

I have a jackson js32, it's more of a guitar than I am a player. It also has a Floyd rose tremolo. I've been looking into a d-tuner, to you know get in to drop d. I am also looking in to blocking(down only) or locking the trem. Having only the one electric guitar the locking aspect of the trem is kind of a PITA to re tune for different tunings. it seems like a d-tuner only kinda works in so much as it seems as and change in string tension affects tuning in general,but what do I know. Long story short I need trem info.

So.. Should i block the trem, get a d tuner, lock the trem? and why and to what affect? Thanks

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/5/19 2:16 p.m.

You are in the same situation I was in when I started. I had a Jackson Performer PS4 as my first guitar, which also has a Floyd. My eventual solution was just to get another guitar. I'm glad I did, because I'd be mad at myself if I messed up that PS4 back then! I suggest that you do that if you can.

If you really like the look and feel of your JS32, you could probably score a cheaper JS22 with the standard Strat-style tremolo:

I paid $75 used for that one and keep it in C tuning most of the time. I may eventually convert this one to a fixed bridge myself like the 7-string JS22 has.

bustedplug
bustedplug New Reader
4/5/19 2:36 p.m.

Yea! the resident Jackson expert replied.Do you have any experience with the tremol-no ?

As far as liking the js32 I really like the neck profile,and the jumbo frets took a little while to get used to, but I like them too.the hardest part has been figuring out where to put my pick hand. And as to yet another guitar,I am hard pressed for space (2 acoustics and an ibanez bass as well as an old tascam analog 4 track and also a yamaha drum machine( all in my tiny office/tool storage)) atm so maybe in the future but for now its probably not in the cards.

P.S. I am also a Tony and as such preferential to advice from Tonys. (fixed any fiats or been to ny lately?)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/5/19 3:06 p.m.

In reply to bustedplug :

I've never messed with one of those things, and I totally get the not knowing where to put the palm. Eventually, you just get used to it, but it takes some time. The JS22 is exactly the same guitar as the JS32 but with a standard tremolo. Same body, same neck, same electronics, and same tuners. Maybe you would be better off with one of those instead if you are going to block that trem anyway? It's funny, because I wish mine was a JS32 these days!

I'm also pressed for space, as the tiniest room in my small house is my retro game room/home office/vinyl listening room/guitar practice space. It's JAMMED with stuff and it's not ideal. I ended up getting one of these, which helps:

It's a cheap 7 guitar "stage stand" from Amazon. I wouldn't use it on a real stage, but it works for this tiny room. In retrospect, I should have bought the 9-slot model. Takes up less space than I thought it would!

(I typically stay away from the Italian cars, although I'd LOVE an old Alfa some day, and I'm in MA.)

bustedplug
bustedplug New Reader
4/5/19 4:58 p.m.

I guess I Could! fit some more guitars! And with some pawn shopping,  I likely wouldn't spend more than what a tremol-no and d-tuner would cost. Aand.. that rp360 does looks really cool... and  that would save the space of the drum machine and i could ditch the tascam relic.... (insert maniacal laugh)

I could be entertained with a stratos inspired x1/9

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/12/19 2:59 p.m.

If anyone wonders if Facebook ads can work - yes. Yes, they can.

An ad for the Zoom GCE-3 popped up in my feed.  Checked out the specs and features. The minuscule size. The $99 price tag. And decided to burn some of my Discover cash-back balance for one off Amazon.

This combined with a Quilter MicroBlock 45 and my Kiesel Vader could be the more compact gear rig ever.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/19 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

A Kiesel Vader bass is on my wishlist, but probably not for another year. 

poopshovel again
4/13/19 8:18 a.m.

Not mine, but my brother recently snagged this and is SMITTEN.

Having recently lugged around my 100W Splawn recently, I’m wondering if I could get away with one of these newer “lunchbox” heads.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/19 12:54 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Not mine, but my brother recently snagged this and is SMITTEN.

Having recently lugged around my 100W Splawn recently, I’m wondering if I could get away with one of these newer “lunchbox” heads.

I went from a peavey triple xxx 120w to a marshall dsl15h 15w for most of the new bands stuff. They are suprisingly loud and itll hold up to metal with a live drummer, also chuggy as hell. Way easier to move too

Antihero
4/13/19 1:01 p.m.

Ive been wanting a single hb Les Paul ish guitar and am having a suprisingly hard job finding one. 

I want a tunomatic bridge, a volume and tone control, a curved top with a burst finish. This doesnt seem hard does it? So far ive contacted a few customs and got nowhere, the Gibson CM does not have a tunomatic and is fugly. The ESP/LTD Black Metal is closest so far and even adds a 24fret neck, but i didnt really want a super brootz looking guitar plus their thin u shape is usually not a neck i like.

Anybody have some other ideas? Im about to just give up or go the malcolm young route

poopshovel again
4/13/19 2:56 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I had a Dean Evo 60 as a backup guitar for a while. Cool guitar, but not really my thing. Is the single humbucker critical?

Antihero
4/13/19 3:06 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

In reply to Antihero :

I had a Dean Evo 60 as a backup guitar for a while. Cool guitar, but not really my thing. Is the single humbucker critical?

It is, mostly because i have plently of 2 pickup lp and i rarely use the neck pickup

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
4/13/19 3:35 p.m.

I'll post pictures later, but I picked up my first guitar and amp over Christmas. An Epiphone "Les Paul" SL and an Orange Crush 35RT. Loving the amp so far, and the guitar isn't half-bad either.

poopshovel again
4/14/19 6:06 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Totally get it. Like you said, doesn’t seem like it’d be that weird of a combo, but I’ll be damned if I can find one!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/14/19 9:40 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I would contact Lee at GMW Guitars.  They will pretty much build anything your heart desires either from a base donor you send them (maybe an Epiphone or Gibson LP?) or from scratch. Were I to guess, at least $3K for the latter and maybe half that for the former.

Antihero
4/16/19 12:59 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Antihero :

I would contact Lee at GMW Guitars.  They will pretty much build anything your heart desires either from a base donor you send them (maybe an Epiphone or Gibson LP?) or from scratch. Were I to guess, at least $3K for the latter and maybe half that for the former.

Ill give that a shot, thanks!

1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QTF7sy04nmdgmtW1IOMDjX52LQxPMG1FtEl3aTPIJY3hoqXQmhG8DEZ7GUYw2XBR