1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 137
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/20 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

I know the bridges are different. My concern was more that with the different string spacing, the strings on the Squier may be running in shouting distance of an American Standard pickup. OTOH I don't see anybody offering special pickguards for MIM and Squiers. Might be worth a shot if I can get it cheap enough. I'm not too worried about the different holes, after all it's a cheap and already slightly dinged up guitar.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/12/20 6:23 p.m.
11GTCS said:

Interesting that you mention the 9's.   Rick Beato on the tube of you did a video on strings a couple of weeks back.  Basically said we're all playing heavier gauge than we should, 9's ended up being his pick. I plan on grabbing a couple of sets the next time I need some to try it out.

My guitar teacher says the same. I have run some hybrid setups, too--like heavier up top and then down to 9's. 

cmcgregor (Forum Supporter)
cmcgregor (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/12/20 6:37 p.m.

I bought an acoustic. It was cheap, and the first one that came met an unfortunate end thanks to UPS, but it sounds decent and plays pretty well, as far as I can tell at least. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
4/12/20 6:54 p.m.

I switched to 9s after that video came out. Completely dissuaded me from replacing the pickups in my LTD. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/12/20 8:54 p.m.

Still loving the 9's on my Strat. Next project is going to be my Explorer, which has been doing weird things lately. It's also getting a set of those 9's in the pproocess of fixing it up.

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/12/20 9:01 p.m.

It’s here! I like it. Maybe I’ll write up a detailed review soon, if I can stop playing it long enough to type.

David S. Wallens
4/12/20 9:22 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Awesome. Enjoy. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/12/20 11:00 p.m.

On one of the zoom fireside chats action and the sounds of some guitars and playability of them being seasonal came up. This video (the channel is a giant wormhole, I'm envious of the shop, machining equipment and ability) goes into trust rod adjustment after the repair.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/13/20 7:29 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Imports and US stuff has slightly different bolt patterns most of the time. Even my Squier SE with its full size body has slightly different holes. There are aftermarket solutions though. The bridge I got, for instance, has elongated holes to account for adjustments.

Agreed.  I wouldn't worry too much about a Strat pick guard. They more or less "index" on the neck and bridge.  Might have to drill some new holes for screws, but not a big deal.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
4/14/20 4:13 p.m.

David, here's one for you (or any of us) - combining guitars and skateboards.

EVH 5150 deck

BoxheadTim
4/14/20 4:17 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Imports and US stuff has slightly different bolt patterns most of the time. Even my Squier SE with its full size body has slightly different holes. There are aftermarket solutions though. The bridge I got, for instance, has elongated holes to account for adjustments.

Agreed.  I wouldn't worry too much about a Strat pick guard. They more or less "index" on the neck and bridge.  Might have to drill some new holes for screws, but not a big deal.

Good point. Not too worried about drilling holes, it is an el cheapo guitar.

The bigger issue is that there are too many people stuck at home bidding up loaded pickguards .

David S. Wallens
4/14/20 4:43 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

David, here's one for you (or any of us) - combining guitars and skateboards.

EVH 5150 deck

Ha, thanks. Here's another marriage of music and skateboarding: This is Mike Palm, lead signer/guitarist for Agent Orange, riding my Agent Orange skateboard just before and Agent Orange show.

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
4/14/20 6:20 p.m.

Added a Tele copy to the arsenal. SX Furrian from Rondo Music. I've never owned a telecaster style guitar before, but this one caught my eye. It was a b-stock and listed with a 1" rough patch of finish near the upper side of the bridge. It showed up absolutely flawless and the "rough patch" is a maybe 1/2" minor run in the finish at the corner of the bridge that's only noticeable in the right light. 

The neck feels good, fret finish is nice and I'm really loving the double binding on the body. I've given it a quick setup and so far I'm really impressed. Switch and pots are a little cheap feeling and the pickups are a little weak, but I planned on changing most of that out at some point. I've already got an ivory pickguard on order to match the binding.

Best part was the price, $89! I guess I have cheap taste...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
4/14/20 6:54 p.m.

Cool.  I really need to get my Tele together. Still need to pick up a few parts.  And I need a bloody crap load of pots for all of the projects right now.

BoxheadTim
4/22/20 8:24 p.m.

How to triple what you've got in your guitar:

I bought the last thing I needed first, and it cost me double what I've paid for the guitar. It's a loaded Fender American Standard pickguard, supposedly the Tex-Mex one. Doesn't look like it's every been mounted to a guitar, arrived in the bag with the trem cover (also triple ply) and even a new output jack.

buenavides1
buenavides1 New Reader
4/22/20 11:57 p.m.

I should start playing the guitar again. 

David S. Wallens
4/26/20 12:43 p.m.

I'm trying to do a better job of rotating through everything, so this one came out of its case after way too long. It's a 1998 PRS CE-22. Best I can tell, it has the optional stoptail and full mahogany body. I guess that makes it less exciting, but I totally like it that way. I'm playing it through a Blues Jr. amp. Sounds great. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/26/20 7:06 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think I said this when you last posted that thing, but the guitar player in my old band had the Epiphone copy of that thing: The Epiphone Spotlight.

They had to stop making them because, I mean, look at it! Total ripoff of the PRS, and they weren't having any of that. It was a cool, and rare, guitar.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/27/20 4:59 p.m.

This came today. Almost in tune, straight neck and looks pretty good. Middle pickup had to be screwed back down but it seems to be holding.

I might make this a Doom stick....

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That's such a cool design. 

4/27/20 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I think so, I don't know why I haven't got one before now. $139 too

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
5/12/20 10:37 p.m.

There is some absolutely gorgeous stuff in this thread...

Recon1342
Recon1342 HalfDork
5/25/20 12:14 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

There is some absolutely gorgeous stuff in this thread...

So I'll add to it!!! Early Father's Day gift from my wife- a Yamaha TRBX 305 five string Bass!!!

6/16/20 9:58 p.m.

This thing sounds.....much better than it should

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
6/16/20 10:15 p.m.

For someone who generally plugs straight into my amp with a tuner and maybe a wah, I sure seem to collect pedals.

String Theory Efx "Sea of Tranquility fuzz". Bought on a whim from a local store in NH, not realizing how rare it is. 

A brand new JHS "Legends of Fuzz - Supreme"

And a barely used DOD Rubberneck analog delay with matching DigiTech footswitch. Bought from a friend who decided it was too knobby for his pedal style (he's big on pedals with as few knobs as possible). 

Hopefully, one of my "30 Minutes in the Garage" tasks will include clearing up the back bedroom so I can actually get to and play through my amps.

1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yBuM2lyhr43anNlsNEdgE9mZP4CvCEoEncjd0F3ruTBUAF5TrCvEcjMUaXD7NuSk