11GTCS said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

Blue, it needs to be blue...

Photochop! Lemme see what you got!!!

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
7/23/20 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Lol, you overestimate my meager / nonexistent talents.  I’d literally have to print that, mark it up and take a picture.  

That said, GT 350 vibe; 1 inch wide blue stripes either side of the neck, 1/2 one centered down the line of the truss rod between the pick ups.   Try it with blue painters tape first! laugh

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/23/20 7:03 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I was thinking along the lines of BMWish- one wide, one skinny, offset along the Bass side of the neck.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
7/23/20 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

I’ll allow it. laugh  Painters tape is cheap and removable!

Edited to add: There are some pretty decent marine and automotive striping tapes that could be removed with a hair dryer if you get tired of the look.   I bought some blue hull striping tape to replace some damaged originals on my boat and it’s still looking good after 15 years or so.  

logdog (Forum Supporter)
logdog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/28/20 3:02 p.m.
logdog (Forum Supporter) said:

Even if I replace the pickups I am very happy with it. 

Well..... That escalated quicky!  I took advantage of the July 4th sale at Guitar Fetish to order a set of mini humbuckers.

I ordered these ones.  Technically they are guitar pickups but there have been plenty of basses equipped that way over the years.

I upgraded the pots and wiring  along with adding copper foil to the cavity while I was in there.  I also ditched the bridge pickup cover.  The new pickups made a HUGE improvement.  I really am glad I did the mods.

logdog (Forum Supporter)
7/28/20 3:28 p.m.

I obviously have a gear acquisition problem.  BlueInGreen asked me if I am filling the void of not racing this year and I believe he hit the nail on the head laugh  I am up to 6 basses now and I think I am at my limit.  If I want to drag something else home I think I gotta get rid of one*

While I was upgrading the pickups on the Harley Benton, I also took advantage of a "Deal of the Day" at Guitar Center and bought a G&L Tribute Jazz bass for $299.  I am really impressed with the fit and finish.  I don't actually need to tweak anything or set it up.  Frets are nice, neck is good, intonation is good, pickups sounds great, I cant really knock it.  I was conflicted for awhile because I didn't feel that "magic" but after playing it exclusively last week I decided to keep it around.  

I also bought a used Hagstrom HB4 short scale.  It showed up yesterday and I cant put it down.  I LOVE this thing.  It has a 6 position knob giving you split or humbucker at neck/bridge/both so there are lots of different sounds in a small package.  

*and other lies we tell ourselves!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/20 3:59 p.m.

Facebook is evil.  In my feed is a Reverb ad. Today a well worn '84 Explorer with 3 P90's and a factory Kahler is in my feed.  I really need to sell some guitars before buying any more, but damn it's tempting.  

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/28/20 4:14 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

That's hawt. Buy it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/28/20 4:37 p.m.

In reply to logdog (Forum Supporter) :

Both of those basses look AMAZING! Nice! The G&L Legacy stuff is supposed to be killer for the money. $299 for that is an absolute steal. 

Oh, and Ian, you pretty much have to buy that Explorer. Pointy guitars are the best guitars. I've never seen one with P90's, let alone three of them. Snag that! 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/28/20 4:47 p.m.

Speaking of basses, I spent a few minutes of my lunch break with my 1987 Peavey Foundation S. I played through some Whitesnake, Faith No More, Sabbath, At The Drive In, and Thursday tunes with it. 

I kinda forgot that I sorted out most of it's issues at the beginning of the pandemic. Out of all my basses, this is the one I can't stop thinking about right now. It plays so well and sounds so good, even with all the bumps, bruises, and the random SGC Nanyo P pickup. It's like the 1987 Trans Am GTA of basses. If you guys ever see a cheap Peavey bass that's built in the USA, buy it immediately; you won't regret it!

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/28/20 5:13 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Pointy guitars are the best guitars. 

I can not argue. Though I do love a good les Paul. I play my LTD ex more than anything, and my next purchase (funding is problematic) will be an Epiphone snow falcon

excuse me, I have to sit down now. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/28/20 5:46 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I only have one pointy guitar (an Epi Explorer Goth in need of some serious work) but yeah, they are so cool.

Is that V the Dave Rude model? That thing is sweet.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/28/20 6:34 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

It's a Brendon Small sig. I just learned about it a couple days ago. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/28/20 6:39 p.m.

This is the Dave Rude one:

I think I like the Snow Falcon better, but they are both cool. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/28/20 6:50 p.m.

That 3 p90 explorer is great, you should get it.

I have a few Vs, an epi 58 korina in black and gold hardware and an Axl Jacknife which is a great guitar loaded with EMG made p90s. No explorers yet though

logdog (Forum Supporter)
7/29/20 3:24 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Both of those basses look AMAZING! Nice! The G&L Legacy stuff is supposed to be killer for the money. $299 for that is an absolute steal. 

Ive never had the pleasure of playing a US made G&Ls but all the Tributes I have played punch above their weight class.  It seems most people use Mexican and US Fenders as standards when evaluating guitars (I guess its kinda like how 5.0 Mustangs are a measurement of speed comparison I guess).  Using that standard I would say out of the box this G&L is nicer than a Mexican Fender Jazz bass you would grab out of the box. I say that even though I am a bit of a Fender Fan-boy.   It is definitely better set up than the Mexican Tele I bought last year.  The reviews for this particular bass have a few complaints about having to get longer screws to set the intonation on the G.  I don't know if there was a bad batch a few months ago or I just got the pick of the litter, but this one checks ok with my Boss TU3.  10/10, would buy again!

logdog (Forum Supporter)
7/29/20 3:30 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Speaking of basses, I spent a few minutes of my lunch break with my 1987 Peavey Foundation S. I played through some Whitesnake, Faith No More, Sabbath, At The Drive In, and Thursday tunes with it. 

I kinda forgot that I sorted out most of it's issues at the beginning of the pandemic. Out of all my basses, this is the one I can't stop thinking about right now. It plays so well and sounds so good, even with all the bumps, bruises, and the random SGC Nanyo P pickup. It's like the 1987 Trans Am GTA of basses. If you guys ever see a cheap Peavey bass that's built in the USA, buy it immediately; you won't regret it!

If somebody showed up at my door tomorrow and told me I could only take 1 bass with me to go on a tour or get stuck on a desert island with, it would be my 1986 Peavey Foundation, without question.  Even though I hate plain black guitars (I keep an eye open for a good deal on a white/maple on with the same Super Ferrites) it is my number 1.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/29/20 3:39 p.m.

They are criminally overlooked instruments. Even the later Foundations with the soapbar pickups are great. One of those was one of the first basses I ever picked up; a friend got a white one with a rosewood fretboard back around 1994 when he was learning to play. Even though mine was pretty beat up when I got it, I was able to get it in playable condition without much fuss. I kinda want another one!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/29/20 8:05 p.m.

Most Peavey stuff is criminally underrated.

I've got a Peavey Vulcan. It's 225w, 2 channels, has onboard fuzz, tremelo and reverb which are all footswitchable. It was made in 1968.

Name another amp with even close to those specs made at that time

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/29/20 8:27 p.m.

I have two modern Peavey "Red Stripe" solid state combos: a 1x12 Studio Pro 112 and a Combo 115 bass amp. The Studio Pro sounds great for what it is, and people seem to dig 'em. The Combo 115 weighs so much it has its own gravitational pull, but it's bulletproof and 200W worth of awesomeness (300W at 2 ohms). It is one of the largest combo amps anyone makes. They used to make some really great stuff, but they have fallen short lately. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/29/20 9:29 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

That 3 p90 explorer is great, you should get it.

I have a few Vs, an epi 58 korina in black and gold hardware and an Axl Jacknife which is a great guitar loaded with EMG made p90s. No explorers yet though

I've had a couple of V's over the years. Some Gibsons and an Ibanez from the 70's.  Never really bonded with them, tho...

I already have one Explorer. A custom shop Silver Fox model from 1994 that I bought new.   My old bass player wants me to buy it as well.  He's a big P90 fan. One of my issues right now is I have a number of guitars that are sort of the same.  I need to unload a bunch to make room for different ones like this.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/30/20 7:11 a.m.
barefootskater said:
Tony Sestito said:

Pointy guitars are the best guitars. 

I can not argue. Though I do love a good les Paul. I play my LTD ex more than anything, and my next purchase (funding is problematic) will be an Epiphone snow falcon

excuse me, I have to sit down now. 

This thread is gonna get me in trouble.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/30/20 7:20 a.m.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/30/20 7:59 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Friggin do it!

relevant: I'm in SLC for the weekend visiting family and it was tight quarters in the 5 with my 3yo niece hitching a ride to spend the weekend with her dad. So I didn't bring a guitar. But then something interesting happened. At a chevron doodoo stop I noticed a plastic toy guitar on the shelf for $20. That's cheap enough to work. 

Except it doesn't work. I failed to notice in the display two things. 1- direct tuners, like on a violin. They don't work. And 2- the frets looked ok but I didn't see that the zero fret is actually fret 1. So the frets are nowhere near close enough to work with. 
I knew it was going to suck, but usable suck is acceptable.. this is unusable suck. I has sads. 

1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OzkAIA0wobkNMgB9AYkOjszQMVv8u2yz0FzdymW0jTRK1DPWtKaZbQBm8l9B3Dcw