1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 ... 137
jh36
jh36 HalfDork
3/30/21 1:30 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I'm definitely enjoying the PRS so far

WOOOAH....i see you have that loaded up with 57/08's????

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/30/21 1:39 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Yeah the PO did that. I don't have a real concept of what that changes sonically, but I like the sound very much.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/30/21 3:39 p.m.

Hopefully the intonation is better than the Epi

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/30/21 3:44 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Looks nice!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/30/21 4:10 p.m.

Yeah, congrats on the new guitar. Very cool. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/21 7:00 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I'm so jelly!!

David S. Wallens
3/30/21 7:30 p.m.

57/08 pickups are like very cool stuff. Nice score. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/30/21 8:56 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Thanks for that video. I haven't made it all the way through. So far I can hold about three or four measures of that first pattern at about 60% of that dudes "slow" speed. I'm determined though. 

Hopefully gonna start lessons here in a week or two. I need fundamentals and regiments. I need someone to say "you're holding the sticks wrong" or "palms down" or whatever. 

Lessons are well worth it! I was self-taught on the kit for about 4 years before I started taking lessons. It was a rude awakening, but it was necessary. The little stuff, like how to hold sticks (like you said) was a real eye-opener. Most beginners use their entire arms to play. After my first lesson, I learned that most of the strike was down to getting my fingers to propel the stick toward the head or cymbal. Power and accuracy comes from the transfer of weight with your fingers and a flick of the wrist. I had a big problem early on with dropping sticks, most infamously during a drum solo during a middle school band concert, and that one lesson corrected about 95% of my stick drops! 

And yeah, Samus (the guy in the video) is a character. Dude is a MACHINE and a really talented player. He's a funny SOB as well. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/30/21 8:59 p.m.
tuna55 said:

That's nice!!!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/31/21 7:13 a.m.

Thanks guys! So what makes those pickups special? They sound good but I don't have A/B to compare with. The guitar sounds amazing just acoustic, which at bedroom amp levels really sounds great. I also got the Katana, so the amp sounds pretty good as well.

The intonation is indeed way better. I don't love the nonadjustable bridge though (and I understand it's not -exactly- nonadjustable) and it would benefit from a slight adjustment. After a few more weeks I'll change the strings and clean it and check then.

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 8:10 a.m.

jh36 can tell you more, but some basics on 57/08 pickups right here

I have watched PRS wind pickups. It's a very cool process--call it rather analog. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/31/21 9:06 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

jh36 can tell you more, but some basics on 57/08 pickups right here

I have watched PRS wind pickups. It's a very cool process--call it rather analog. 

Cool! I knew they were "better" but without back to back in the same guitar I can't tell. It does sound really nice.

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 9:26 a.m.

And some talk about why a PRS rings so nicely even when unplugged:

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/31/21 9:54 a.m.

Without much experience, I suspect a big part of what I am hearing is due to being a semi-hollow, but again, without an A/B test it's hard to say.

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 10:39 a.m.

I bet it's all of it: the hollow-body construction, the woods, etc. My solid bodies ring nicely, even when not plugged in. 

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 10:41 a.m.

And at lunch I'll break out my PRS CE-22 for show 'n tell. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/31/21 10:53 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I bet it's all of it: the hollow-body construction, the woods, etc. My solid bodies ring nicely, even when not plugged in. 

One day we'll have to compare A/B between them!

I will say I picked up a ~$900 Tele in the guitar store and was so dissapointed. It felt like two planks of random wood screwed together. This was after the Epi SG disaster.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/21 12:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And at lunch I'll break out my PRS CE-22 for show 'n tell. 

Refresh 

Refresh

Refresh

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I wound up pulling photos while eating but gimme a few. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/31/21 12:17 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

To be fair that us what most Fender stuff is really.

Although I really like my neck thru Fender Scorpion Tele

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/31/21 12:25 p.m.

Lumber is one of the most critical components of the overall tone in an electric guitar. It all affects how the strings behave, from initial strike to sustain to harmonics. Even fretboards make a difference despite the strings not even touching the wood. 
If you want to go down a rabbit hole, look into tone wood memory. Essentially the wood "learns" or maybe "conforms" to a style/sound. Pretty neat stuff. Also why used instruments, especially old ones, can seem to have that special something despite having the same hardware as newer examples. 

Fwiw, I really enjoy a hot loaded semi hollow with a bunch of dirt from the power amp. There's an atmosphere there that I've never been able to find in a solid guitar. 

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 12:37 p.m.

Okay, super-rushed photo shoot. This is a 1998 Paul Reed Smith CE-22 so 22 frets with a bolt-on neck. I hear that Alex Lifeson has something similar. As far as I know, it's all original. jh36 can correct me on any details. :)

Bat wing tuners and I loooooove the black headstock: 

Totally dig how it has a 10-way knob for the five-position pickup selector. Body is all mahogany: 

Dot inlays--pretty sure they're abalone--so each one is unique:

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/31/21 12:59 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Dig that transparent red finish. 

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 1:15 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Dig that transparent red finish. 

Thank you. It's rather a plain guitar by PRS standards, but I love it. Totally lucked into it. Fortunately my teacher/local shop owner is a PRS fan. As he says, they're properly balanced, stay in tune, look great and, oh, sound beautiful. Plus they're durable for active musicians.

He once told me a story. He was on stage--this was before he moved to PRS in the '80s--and doing a big pull on the tremolo. And the thing just snapped off in his hand. Like, the whole mechanism broke free. 

I asked, What'd you do?

"Just stood there looking stupid," he said.

PRS was relatively new at the time, but a friend suggested that he check one out. And that's pretty much been his go-to since. 

David S. Wallens
3/31/21 1:19 p.m.
tuna55 said:
David S. Wallens said:

One day we'll have to compare A/B between them!

I will say I picked up a ~$900 Tele in the guitar store and was so dissapointed. It felt like two planks of random wood screwed together. This was after the Epi SG disaster.

FWIW, first time I picked up a Telecaster, it felt similar--like a big chunk of wood. Soon after I was talking with a friend--a seriously talented player--and he mentioned that he owns like a dozen Teles. As he says, a Telecaster is the best caster.

So I checked out another one: a Mexican-made Telecaster from 2000. Totally dug it, bought it, and still love it. I paid $325 for it. 

1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G8cKPoPDzpVlutD6SqZ786IzS3uUyatwfBnxGgPCmU1Z2Oragk14XRu28qNm6Uw7