1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 93
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/31/21 1:32 p.m.

If you expect a Fender to be anything other than a few chunks of lumber, you will be disappointed. cool

I am usually not a giant PRS fan with all the fancy on them but the red and dot inlays look killer.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/1/21 5:26 p.m.

A video that might help other players, especially drummers. This is Five Eight, my friends' band. It's a 360-degree view from a recent performance. You can pan and just watch Patrick on drums. Not his first rodeo. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/21 6:19 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

If you expect a Fender to be anything other than a few chunks of lumber, you will be disappointed. cool

I am usually not a giant PRS fan with all the fancy on them but the red and dot inlays look killer.

Agreed.  My Strat is my travel guitar for that reason: little concerns about stuffing it into a gig-bag and "almost" tossing it into the back of my van.  While I have yet to break a headstock on any of my Gibsons, a couple of them were already repaired prior to my ownership. My Charvel Tele (San Dimas 2) was shipped to me from California in a 18x18x48" box with no case and practically zero packing.  It was already "distressed" (abused) when I bid on it, but the trip didn't hurt the guitar at all.  Fenders are tanks. Which can be a good thing sometimes.

That PRS reminds me a lot of the early 90's model I had. Mine was a 24 fret model with a trem bridge and dot inlays. Tobacco sunburst. Occasionally I wish I still had it, but it wasn't the best guitar I've owned.  I partly wish I still had it simply because it was apparently one of their early "budget" models and I have not seen a similar example for sale since.  The odd part is it had zero resonance when playing a G note.  Anywhere on the fretboard, play a G note and it was simply "dead" - no sustain at all.  Very strange. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 7:32 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

jh36 can tell you more, but some basics on 57/08 pickups right here

I have watched PRS wind pickups. It's a very cool process--call it rather analog. 

I'm a bit late to the party, but here we go. The 57/08's were among the first pups we dove into to voice in the vein of a vintage pickup....paf-esque.  We hunted down the machine that made holy grail wire in the 50's, had it dusted off and starting a giant r&d/science/art project. These were the result. Paul has stayed the course  intently since then which has led to a whole host of stuff that we consider good!  The TCI processes among them. 

That said, a guitar is the sum of all the bits....  the bones need to be strong to take advantage of the muscles. If you are ever in Maryland (post restrictions) I'm more than happy to tour forum members around the shop and talk your ears off. Long story short, every detail has to be considered to create the vibration needed for full, harmonious sound...and that list of details is seemingly endless!  Every time we think we have it, something new pops up,
sort of like dialing in my race car...which is why I love all this stuff.  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 7:36 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

As you know, I love that guitar!  And that was the last year I was production manager at the shop. We moved Annapolis to our current shop in '96 so that was an extremely hectic, fun, wild era.  We relaunched the ce a few years ago which has also been fun. I like them. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 7:52 a.m.

Being all nostalgic today, here's my first prs. We started the company in 85 and I built this (with a lot of friends!) in 86. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 7:53 a.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 7:55 a.m.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 7:58 a.m.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
4/2/21 8:25 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Did you see any of the guitars Ted Nugent auctioned recently?  One was listed as one of Paul's first guitars made in the mid 70's.  Sold for $20K, which seems a bit cheap for such a rare thing.  Granted, it doesn't really look like a PRS:

1976 Paul Reed Smith Large Body Les Paul Guitar (icollector.com)

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I had not seen that. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 8:46 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

We have his first guitar on display in our accessory shop...with a similar look. I agree with your take on the price. If somebody hangs on to that for a while, and it is well documented, they might have a winner!  I personally don't follow the collector market, but that does seem like a deal. 

jh36 said:

I haven't seen that style locking tuner in ages!

The last band I was in before we left IL, one guitarist had a PRS, and a Les Paul that was a bit of an oddity - it had been through the Gibson fire, so it had an extra character on the serial number(or something like that, and a scorch mark as well). Anyway his PRS sounded so much better than that LP. There was just no comparison. 

David S. Wallens
4/2/21 7:27 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I need to learn how to restring PRS batwings. Fortunately my instructor is a fan. As he showed me once, you can restring those tuners in seconds. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
4/2/21 7:38 p.m.

Mine had those tuners...  I don't recall them being difficult, but it has been over 20 years since I sold that guitar.

David S. Wallens
4/2/21 8:18 p.m.

Since we're sharing signed guitars....

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 9:42 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
jh36 said:

I haven't seen that style locking tuner in ages!

The last band I was in before we left IL, one guitarist had a PRS, and a Les Paul that was a bit of an oddity - it had been through the Gibson fire, so it had an extra character on the serial number(or something like that, and a scorch mark as well). Anyway his PRS sounded so much better than that LP. There was just no comparison. 

We dropped them in the early 90's. My obligatory stint in sales and customer service was largely about talking people through restringing the first few times. They worked pretty well but not completely intuitive. ...cams. 
pretty cool about the LP fire guitar. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/2/21 9:43 p.m.

Woohoo...that was a good sounding guitar...neat!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/2/21 10:14 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

That guitar is incredible. Uhh... WOW. 

When I was in high school in the late 90's, PRS guitars were THE guitar everyone wanted. I was always a pointy shredder fan, but I remember very well when one of the kids in my class got a PRS, and yeah, it was the biggest deal. Once I saw that thing up close, I immediately got it. Incredible instruments. 

Personally, I want one of these bad larrys someday:

I love that. 

In reply to Tony Sestito :

It's basses like that that make me sad(but my bank account happy) that I'm a lefty & that I can't really play 34"-scale basses. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/3/21 6:47 a.m.

Every blue moon a thing spontaneously erupts at NASA races called The Paddock Band which has an almost infinite lineup of members. That bass stays in my bus for just such occasions!!  

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
4/3/21 6:50 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

It's basses like that that make me sad(but my bank account happy) that I'm a lefty & that I can't really play 34"-scale basses. 

I am a lefty, but as a pretty young kid, my teacher didn't know how to deal with me playing backwards ( I didn't restring the guitar...I just flipped it) so I was ushered down the right handed path. Sort of wondered in retrospect if that altered anything. At least it did open up more options on instruments. 

In reply to jh36 :

Oh cool! I play bass upside down like that. I'd been playing several years before I ever saw a lefty bass & it was a few years after that before I owned one. I didn't sell off my right handed ones until we moved 5-years ago. A window shattered & severed my right wrist in 2000, so I'm pretty much limited to short scale basses now. 

My father was a lefty too, but also learned to play guitar right handed. 

David S. Wallens
4/3/21 10:42 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to jh36 :

That guitar is incredible. Uhh... WOW. 

When I was in high school in the late 90's, PRS guitars were THE guitar everyone wanted. I was always a pointy shredder fan, but I remember very well when one of the kids in my class got a PRS, and yeah, it was the biggest deal. Once I saw that thing up close, I immediately got it. Incredible instruments. 

Personally, I want one of these bad larrys someday:

I love that. 

I've been eying that one myself. I love my Kingfisher as well as my Jazz. This looks like a perfect combo of the two. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
4/3/21 5:43 p.m.

New amp day was Thursday. I picked up a Vox VX50BA bass amp. 50 watts, 1x8" driver, NuTube preamp, and a 9.9 lb fighting weight. 4 band Eq, compression and overdrive switches, and a (heresy, I know) tuned ABS enclosure with a ported baffle. 

So many glorious noises; and the fuzz from the overdrive is heavenly...

1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 ... 93
Our Preferred Partners
tGOVGWNnHe2m943T65OaDBxAQlTt48aL8g5oy6Fa22lfYyvITgLjkrBXUcW31ER0