1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 137
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/14/21 8:59 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

The only thing I've found that comes close is a monster peavey cab my buddy used to use. One piece, 2x15, 2x10. And because peavey, it was constructed with weapons-grade MDF. I don't miss that cab. 

You sure it wasn't 18s? If so that's a 3620 and id love to get a few.

All Peavey stuff weighs a ton, they apparently use depleted uranium and lead to make them. I have a 215d 2x15 cab and it weighs itsgoinginthecornerandimnevermovingitagain pounds

Their newer stuff isn't too bad. I have a 1x15 & 2x10, and even with my bad back I can tote them pretty easily. 

The last metal band I was in I was using a Peavey 1x18 PA speaker for my bottom cab though. It's about 3' tall & weighs right around 100lbs. I just left it on a hand truck & it was pretty easy to move that way, even up a few stairs onto stage. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/14/21 3:46 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I really should dig out my portastudio and see if it works again.

Since we are posting links for gear we just posted......here is one of the crash cymbals I'm taking off the set to upgrade. Notice I'm not saying it's good but GRM dudes get a discount 

Cymbal!!

4/14/21 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Was it an old school one? I use a 1x18 Peavey cab for my bass vi , great cab.

There newer stuff is ok but the XXX combo weighs a eleventy billion pounds

4/14/21 5:23 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Mine are these.

4/14/21 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Mine is buried so here's a pic from on my phone, it's on the far left.

4/15/21 9:49 a.m.

I really want to play through an 1820 cab, but I never ever want to have to move it. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
4/15/21 11:05 a.m.
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:

I have had and currently have too many heavy bass things. 

The '72 SVT on top of the 8x10 doesn't leave my basement anymore, unless maybe we are recording.

I still drag my Ampeg 4x10 to gigs/tours when those things happened, but I now use a GK MB500 for a head.  500 watts and 3.5lbs.

I also have a great 100w GK 1x10 "practice" amp that easily keeps up with a band in a small room.  The future is weird.

Indeed. The Vox I picked up is only a 1x8, but it fills a room just as well as the Peavey Max 110 it replaced. The future is grand...

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
4/15/21 11:08 a.m.

Also, if anybody is looking for a decent combo, the Peavey is for sale...

4/15/21 4:59 p.m.

Butler Music in Harrisville MO, anyone had experience with them?

On Reverb I was watching one of their guitars, it's interesting and a bit more than I expected but I decided to watch it for a bit and think about it.

Today they send me an offer since Im watching it, something I've never had happen before. The price offered is 10 percent off, not great really so I sent a counter and put 100 in the offer and sent a message that said I didn't expect them to accept it and it wasn't a real offer but to go ahead and counter with what their best price was. It's $399 and it's been up for a month. It has 10 people watching which isn't great after a month really. I'm expecting to hear back somewhere in the $300-325 range

I get back a pissy message about how they aren't interested in countering such a ridiculous offer.

Ffs, they contacted me to try and sell it and I asked for their best price. Thats how it works when you ask someone to buy your stuff.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/16/21 7:19 a.m.

I'm not 100% sure if the seller is actually sending those offers or if that is some automated Reverb thing. 

4/16/21 10:35 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I'm guessing it was the company because of the attached message but who knows.

I don't think reverb can make offers for you either, I've never had it happen with my stuff at the least

4/16/21 11:32 a.m.

Started off just wanting to upgrade the cymbals on the house set......ended up getting a hand hammered 21 inch custom crash instead of a slight upgrade.

How does this always happen?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/16/21 1:33 p.m.

My Randall Sustainer 140 amp. This amp will always have a special place in my collection of gear.  Not only is it the first amp I ever bought, it's actually the first thing I ever bought with "job money" when I was 16 (late summer, 1986), working at a hobby shop.  The amp can be removed from the combo and mounted in a 4 space rack, which is how I used it in my first band through a Carvin 4x12.

Despite all that history, I have never really been in love with the sound. It's loud AF, but it's still a solid state amp and only has one channel, so distortion is produced the "JCM800 way" by cranking the input volume. And that is how I remember using it: Volume on 10 and the Master on whatever volume we could stand - usually around 1 or maybe 2. Sometime around 1989, I bought a Carvin X100B and this amp got put into a corner of the basement and forgotten.

Fast forward 35 years and I decide to revisit the amp.  A few years ago, I had to have it fixed (spent more than the $150 I paid for the amp back in 1986...).  I'm also looking at it with some 30+ years of experience and more recently a lot of "soundscape" knowledge gained from my old bass player (who unlike me, never stopped playing and recording) as well as tips from various YT guitarists who know way more than me.  

So 35 years ago, I tended to scoop the sound. Badly.  It was that fizzy metal sound we thought we wanted. Now, I've learned a little more subtle use of the controls pays dividends in sound, as shown in the picture above (Master behind the cable is on 1).  I sent a video of a quick phone sound clip to my old bass player. His response, "Damn...  I don't remember that amp sounding so good...."

It's funny how once in a great while, the past is worse than the present.

4/16/21 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Orange stripe Randall's are cool as hell imo.

I have a folded horn 2x12 that's stupendous

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/16/21 5:13 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Started off just wanting to upgrade the cymbals on the house set......ended up getting a hand hammered 21 inch custom crash instead of a slight upgrade.

How does this always happen?

Hand hammered?  I’m listening.  laugh  Imported from Turkey? 

4/16/21 5:36 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Yes, it's from Murat Diril.

I'm getting it used and it's apparently the biggest dark crash he's ever made, not even listed on the website

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/16/21 5:42 p.m.

Oooh, off we go down the rabbit hole! laugh

4/16/21 5:45 p.m.

Plus this guy looks like he knows cymbals. 

Or is a hitman, either one

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
4/16/21 6:04 p.m.

GIn reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, pretty sure his great grandfather worked for someone last name starting with a Z.  That’s some impressive E36 M3 on his website, I’m gonna want some pictures and sound clips of that bad boy when it arrives.  I remember watching some of the guys making the hand hammered K’s, really similar to the pictures on his site.  Old school bull work and every one has its own unique personality.   

4/16/21 7:02 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Will do on the clips and such. I'm pretty excited to get my hands on it

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/25/21 8:43 a.m.

So after a year or so of poking around on websites and looking for deals on a bass as well as input from y'all I should be picking up a nice MIM Fender Jazz and amp today.  Seems like a good price from what I'm seeing so far.  Pics tonight assuming I do the deal.  

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/25/21 6:51 p.m.

Not perfect but pretty dang nice!  Blue body, dark fret board MIM Fender Jazz bass and small Hartke BS20 practice amp along with strap, stand, and cord for $300.  No buzzing out of the bits as I worked thru range of adjustment on the knobs on bass and amp.    I'll clean it up and replace the strings and figure out of this is for me.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
4/25/21 7:21 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

That's a hell of a deal. Should be loads of fun. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
4/25/21 7:40 p.m.

laugh Thanks Shaun!

4/25/21 7:42 p.m.
wawazat said:

Not perfect but pretty dang nice!  Blue body, dark fret board MIM Fender Jazz bass and small Hartke BS20 practice amp along with strap, stand, and cord for $300.  No buzzing out of the bits as I worked thru range of adjustment on the knobs on bass and amp.    I'll clean it up and replace the strings and figure out of this is for me.

Congrats!

1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
umLX0hVDUw50QO1blOaN7smRv8B6Ew3WqoQ0ACfkbv2GcShApSE6qDUKxZxMVwE1