In reply to wawazat :

She cleans up nice!

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/4/21 7:36 a.m.
Recon1342 said:

In reply to wawazat :

She cleans up nice!

Thanks!  I enjoyed that little diversion last night.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/4/21 7:56 a.m.

I found some oil for the rosewood and got that on this morning.  I'll get some more applied later today then get the strings back on.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
5/4/21 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Interested to see how you like it. Anything to keep that motivation up!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/21 1:01 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Dude that's amazing! Did you do it all nby hand or did you use a dremel or anything?

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/4/21 1:13 p.m.

laugh Thanks.  All by hand.  Microfiber towels, toothbrushes, and toothpicks.  I removed the bridge, knobs, and plate under the knobs for a warm water and Dawn bath before polishing.  I left the tuners on and used the Simichrome and microfiber towel.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/4/21 1:21 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

I got a Spark!

It's got me excited about learning again.

Nice! I picked one up last year but haven't messed around with it too much lately. I really need to do some work on my home office since it has my desk with multiple monitors for work, my guitars and two little practice amps (one Spark, and a Fender Mustang III I've had for years) and eventually my triple monitor sim rig setup. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/4/21 1:22 p.m.

Now I need to quit being lazy and take the 8-string I bought a while back to the guitar shop and have them do a proper setup on it. The intonation sucks and won't stay in tune, the strings are like 47,000 ft off the fret board, etc. 

So because of that I've barely touched it at all.

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/4/21 4:22 p.m.

Let's take a poll.

UPS did me dirty and GC is giving my money back. So I got to thinking and re-thinking. I can re-order the same guitar (candy apple G2657T, $399 on sale at GC.com) and risk the same result (thanks, UPS) or I can save my money for something else later on, or I can find something else locally. 

Save money- smart but boring

Buy local- yadda yadda economy yadda yadda small business yadda yadda. 

So my lunch break was spent at my fav local shop where they treat me well. While they are a gretsch dealer, they don't have GCs buying power (or bankruptcy status). What they have are a pair of hollow Ibanez AF75Gs. One in a gunmetal and one in a pink sparkle. The prices are identical and in budget (shoutout to Music Works in StG UT, check them out on reverb or stop in if you're nearby). 

if you've made it this far, congratulations. Now, to business. 

A-

or

B-

hnggg. 

5/4/21 4:33 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

The pink is cool, even if the overall guitar is not my vibe. That black is gonna look hideous after playing it. Flat paint wears to gloss you know...

What else they got?

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/4/21 4:36 p.m.

In my price range and different from what I already have.. only one other and the finish/paint makes it a no-go

5/4/21 4:38 p.m.

Can they order that red guitar that you were trying to buy from GC? 

Otherwise pick up the pink one I guess.

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/4/21 4:51 p.m.

Not for anything near the same money. Good point on the finish wearing to gloss. I hadn't considered that. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/4/21 5:53 p.m.

I love matte black guitars and own a few, they do wear but sonehow it makes them......cooler.

If the return process wasn't bad I'd order again and get exactly what you want. If the destroy it in shipment, you are covered again

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
5/4/21 9:55 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Let's take a poll.

UPS did me dirty and GC is giving my money back. So I got to thinking and re-thinking. I can re-order the same guitar (candy apple G2657T, $399 on sale at GC.com) and risk the same result (thanks, UPS) or I can save my money for something else later on, or I can find something else locally. 

Save money- smart but boring

Buy local- yadda yadda economy yadda yadda small business yadda yadda. 

So my lunch break was spent at my fav local shop where they treat me well. While they are a gretsch dealer, they don't have GCs buying power (or bankruptcy status). What they have are a pair of hollow Ibanez AF75Gs. One in a gunmetal and one in a pink sparkle. The prices are identical and in budget (shoutout to Music Works in StG UT, check them out on reverb or stop in if you're nearby). 

if you've made it this far, congratulations. Now, to business. 

A-

or

B-

hnggg. 

That matte black Ibby is gorgeous. Don't care about wearing to gloss, that just means it's been loved appropriately; plus, it'll probably take a few years.  If I played guitar... whoo! 

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/5/21 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

The black is pretty, no doubt. Funnily enough, when I told wife I was going to the shop yesterday she says, "you have to wait until GC returns the money before you buy anything." Then I sent her a picture of the black one (first I saw) and she goes, "oh you can buy that one! Just borrow money from x account first and we'll pay it back later."

But my choice has been made, and the pink one is on layaway until GC refunds me. Should be early next week. Stoked. 

The black one is just a little too sexy. Like it could be a hot and fast love affair that burns out too fast. The pink one will always be fun, even if it just hangs on a wall. It fits my personality (say what you will) and playing style better. It's like a big pink convertible Cadillac, where the other is more of a tri-5 Chevy. Since this is a car forum. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/5/21 6:52 p.m.

That pink one reminds me of my parents' upstairs living room circa 1987 in the very best way possible. All it needs is a button tuck red velour-lined case to match our old couches. Go for it! 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
5/5/21 7:07 p.m.

It's all good, amigo. The pink one is nice, and I really don't mind pink as a color. That being said, if they made that exact black guitar as a bass, I'd be looking for stuff to sell so I could buy it.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/5/21 8:03 p.m.

That pink fits the vintage vibe of that guitar perfectly in my opinion.  That would have been my choice as well.  

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/5/21 8:06 p.m.
Recon1342 said:

It's all good, amigo. The pink one is nice, and I really don't mind pink as a color. That being said, if they made that exact black guitar as a bass, I'd be looking for stuff to sell so I could buy it.

I watched an Epiphone Alan Woody Rumblekat bass on my local CL for a while.  I liked the look a LOT.  

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
5/5/21 10:30 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Yeah. If I had a spare grand laying around, I'd buy a Gretsch Electromatic long scale. More an acoustic work of art than an instrument...

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/bass/g5440lsb-electromatic-hollow-body-long-scale-bass/2518000512

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/6/21 3:39 p.m.

An Ibanez Artcore bass popped up last night online.  It looks great! 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
5/6/21 6:23 p.m.

I just ordered a set of Ernie Ball slinky flats for the bass. Now I must wait...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/21 4:52 p.m.

I may have bought another hand hammered Turkish cymbal, this time by a different Diril brother....

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/10/21 12:13 p.m.

Home now. This is the best Ibanez neck I've ever experienced. 

1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hV10P2zcvO76X9Erub4ybFmvPxxGmI3BPE9upEcBHYvmq8XxQ3rbtGcbxF6VqYn9