1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 136
11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/13/21 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Maybe some dielectric grease on the pins after you clean them?

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/13/21 5:36 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
11GTCS said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Dude, focus!   I was enabling cymbal purchases not more guitars.  Lol. yes

Very true, I don't know what I was thinking lol.

I bought a splash cymbal too, told my wife that 11GTCS told me too lol

That’s much better, keep up the good work.  Good thing I’m more than 2,000 miles from Mrs. Antihero though.  laugh

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
5/13/21 5:55 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

I've got some catching up to do. Been on a bit of a tear lately. 

DURHAM MADE ME DO IT! 

In B&T when they go to the future and the sweet background guitar is rocking, this is what I imagine it was being played on. It's perfect.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/13/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

She wanted it too so she's happy you agreed with her.

But she recommends that someone also point me towards buying her an mx3 and/or a cool cheap karmann ghia lol

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
5/13/21 6:34 p.m.

You’re probably safe on the Karmann Ghia front, those were crispy critters when I was a kid.  smiley  Good luck with cymbal acquisition project, I’m a bit jealous but that skill set has completely left the building.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/13/21 9:20 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

DURHAM MADE ME DO IT! 

That. Is. BEAUTIFUL. 

Pointy guitars forever! 

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/13/21 9:37 p.m.

Last thing about the pink jazz box. Flatwounds are a revelation. Total transformation. Better unplugged, way way better when amplified. Dirty or clean, a little gain or a boatload of gain, this may be my new favorite fiddle. I'll see about recording something soon and post it up. 

5/13/21 9:39 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I'm a huge fan of flatwounds.

Wanna hear something super cool? Try downtuned chuggy metal with flatwounds

5/13/21 9:42 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

DURHAM MADE ME DO IT! 

Is that a Lzzy Hale signature?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/14/21 8:59 a.m.

Quick update on the MicroBass: 

Took it apart again to look at the board, and unseated those chips and cleaned the sockets. Put it back together, and no change. Then I remembered something from my Studio Pro 112: sometimes, it gets crackly and I have to move the external speaker jack around to get it to clear up. This also has the same external speaker jack. I noticed the wires were touching the ground electrode. Moved them back and moved the jack around a bit and the noise went away! If it keeps happening, I will re-solder the connections. The little thing cranks now! 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/14/21 3:39 p.m.

It is. I had no idea who she was lawlz.

Funny story: I scored a REALLY good paying job in Durham. Finished early and decided to "treat myself."

I walked around at GC in Raleigh for TWENTY MINUTES, and no one so much as said "hello" to me.

Drove across the street to Sam Ash where they set me up with my own "dude" who LOVED hearing that GC screwed the pooch.

They *THOUGHT* this guitar had been sitting on the floor for a long time and had no case. We negotiated the price based on that.

They figured out they'd sold that guitar, found the case for this BRAND NEW one, and honored the price.

AND YASSSSS!!!! POINTY GUITARS 4EVAAAAAAH!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/14/21 3:51 p.m.

So, my Sam Ash story. I was in the New York showroom a few years ago, just strolling the room with the "nice" guitars. One of the sales guys is on the phone: "No, it's cool, Sammy said to go ahead with the deal."

And then I was in the bass department when the P.A. paged Larry Hartke. The guy helping me--like the guy behind the counter--picks up the phone. It was the Mr. Hartke.

That evening, I saw Stu Hamm and Alex Skolnick at the Iridium. Mr. Hartke was in the audience. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/14/21 4:22 p.m.

I don't have much of a Sam ash story. I went in one in Vegas once and didn't see anything despite having cash and needing a new amp, but the guy says, "hey if you don't mind used gear go check out the shop down the block." So I did, and I got a great deal on a really good 50w JCM.  And my buddy came with and picked up a walnut/wicker Mesa mkIV for $1200!!!! 
Turns out that particular shop was run by a guy who became known as "my expert guitar guy" on everyone's favorite tv pawn shop. The shop is still open, but the prices have been adjusted to tv fame levels. 

poopshovel again
5/16/21 6:52 a.m.

These are some great stories!

PS: Alex Skolnik made me think of Chris Poland (they played together on an instrumental Lamb ov God tune.)

I've been revisiting this album A LOT lately. It's not just shredder-noodles. There is some REALLY good song writing here. I feel like it's a "really fkn heavy jazz record" vs "that guy from megadeth's solo record."

5/18/21 10:41 p.m.

This is a hell of a guitar, best $110 I think I've ever spent.

5/18/21 10:42 p.m.

poopshovel again
5/19/21 5:48 a.m.

That's cool. 70's MIJ?

5/19/21 10:14 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

That's cool. 70's MIJ?

00s MIC I believe. Xaviere is/was Guitar Fetish's house brand and they make some great guitars. 

The main guitar I use in Interstellar Sledgehammer is a Xaviere xv585, p90 in the neck and bridge HB. It's chambered but without f holes so it weighs about 5 pounds and sustains wonderfully. Its somehow is pretty much the chuggiest metal guitar ever too. 

This guitar was supposed to be something I use for blues or light stuff but it sounds killer with hi gain, not sure how but it's impressive

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/21 8:40 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I really like what Chris did with his band Ohm. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/28/21 3:16 p.m.

Have we talked about any of the DIY amp kits? Fender or Marshall copies. I'm looking at Trinity (never heard of them before today) out of Canada. Specifically the Tramp head kit. The chatter on forums that I scanned through was really positive, and with its size and low power levels it may be a great fit. My Brent hinds signature orange is great, at one thing. 

My master plan is to rewire my little 2x12 into 2-1x12s with separate inputs and run a splitter or a/b switch. 
The amp in question

looking for something smaller with thick cleans and maybe a bit of overdrive. I have the high gain stuff covered. Open to ideas or suggestions. Not looking to spend much more than $400

*ever one to rush in, there goes all my pistol money. Build thread when it lands. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/28/21 6:40 p.m.

I've looked at those amp kits.  Seems like a neat way to get some interesting amps for not too much money.  However, my soldering skills are in serious need of brushing up.  I'd have to build a few pedal kits first. Maybe after I finish installing a bunch of pickups into guitars that need them.

5/28/21 7:40 p.m.

The Marshall DSL15H has done thick cleans and fits your budget but it's much better as a high gain amp really. I have the older model and with the deep button pushed it's got way more low-end than 15w should have

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/28/21 9:18 p.m.

I've done a bunch of Marshall models over the years, and been very happy with all of them, but the only one that I think would work for what I want is one of those 20w studio plexi models they do now. And those are honestly too powerful for my current living situation. 

We'll see how long shipping takes from the great white north. I'm pretty excited. The videos I found of these have all been pretty promising really. And I can run it through either the Texas Heat or the Swamp Thang in my cab, buying me a bit more flexibility. So between my LP with its coil tapping pups and the pink Ibby, the Orange and this new Trinity, I should be able to get most any sound I want from rich and creamy cleans, to warm overdrives, to throat punching high gain. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
6/2/21 10:44 p.m.

Steve Harris is a Bass. Metal. Legend.

Do yourselves a favor and watch a live recording of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".

1) Observe Steve absolutely slaying the amazing bassline. 

2) Realize that he makes way more noises come out of that bass than one would expect.

3) Be astonished when you realize he plays faster than anybody else- Without. A. Pick. 

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/3/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

Yup, I swiped a lot of my playing style from Steve Harris. Once I figured out how to "gallop" (see footage of him playing The Trooper) I was hooked and it was over. He plays it like a lead instrument and with unbelievable power. Although, I'm more of a Jazz Bass guy myself.

1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WR4O1kQdnZJUWsv3MciKw7GskdYFRhLnxGWsuSpdozAZtraMOt4OrG0cqc3Lm5YP