1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 137

In reply to Recon1342 :

There really isn't a bad bass line in the entire Maiden catalog. Steve is a monster. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/3/21 9:00 p.m.

Drum set upgrades continue, I'm still not sure about 2 of the cymbals here but the new Meinl mixes great with everything.

6/3/21 9:01 p.m.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
6/3/21 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I agree. The part that floors me is that every time I look at one of his lines in standard notation, you realize how many notes he plays that you don't consciously hear; at the same time, if you pull them out of the line, the whole damn song falls apart. Of course, that's probably because he's one of Maiden's primary songwriters... and their Defacto front man.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/21/21 5:28 p.m.

New amp! I built it myself!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/25/21 1:53 a.m.

I had to replace a scratchy volume pot on my MIJ Jaguar and went ahead a put an ivory pearl pickguard on it. Like a new set of wheels on that car you've had for a while.

before:

Ahh E36 M3 break out the dremel because slight differences:

After:

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/25/21 3:20 p.m.

Black with a Pearl guard is one of my all-time favorite color combos.

Never goes out of style!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/25/21 3:42 p.m.

^Agreed! With the black matching head stock and black humbucker it just made the shape look odd after a while. You can't pull off a goth themed Jaguar. 

7/5/21 3:32 p.m.

Anyone looking for a Boss ce5 or dd7? 

Just listed some up on my reverb and $10 off if you are a GRMer

https://reverb.com/shop/gear-locker-1457

barefootskater (Shaun)
7/5/21 7:14 p.m.

I built this cab about ten years ago as a 4x12. I always intended to cover it in art. 
About two years ago(?) I chopped it down to 2x12.  Still no art. 

Today, inspiration struck. 

Had the wife doodle a goat and I copied it onto wood and used my cheap soldering iron to burn it in. Satisfied. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/21 7:07 p.m.

A good friend has been getting into lutherie. He has a bass of mine currently that needs some neck work, and is building another one for me from scratch, so he built this jig to hold the body/neck in alignment & to mimic the tension from the strings while leveling the neck & frets. I though you guys might find it kinda cool. 

7/14/21 8:16 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

A good friend has been getting into lutherie. He has a bass of mine currently that needs some neck work, and is building another one for me from scratch, so he built this jig to hold the body/neck in alignment & to mimic the tension from the strings while leveling the neck & frets. I though you guys might find it kinda cool. 

That's cool!

What's he building for you?

barefootskater (Shaun)
7/14/21 11:17 p.m.

More adventures in fickleness, and the swamp thang is out. Replaced by a used cannabis Rex. Unfortunately it is now too late to test, but I'm excited. Hopefully tomorrow I can give it a test run. Used local speakers are preferable to a new Texas Heat. I was all excited to have two different speakers to play with my two amps, but it turns out that both amps really want the Heat out front. But this came up and I like the idea of having different things at my disposal. 

7/15/21 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

A short-scale 6-string bass. Over the 6+ years I've had my Stambaugh, I've come to love the potential to develop new techniques that it offers, but I've never really liked the tone. Conversely, I love the tone of my cheap(ish) Warwick Rockbass Corvette, but the ergonomics make it virtually unplayable. 

So we're mostly copying the shape of the Stambaugh - with a few tweaks from the blue 5-string I built with another friend back in the 90's - but copying as much from the Warwick as we can. I bought a Warwick 6-string bridge, MEC pickups & preamp(although different models than the Rockbass, since they don't offer them in 6-string versions), with an alder body, maple neck & wenge fretboard. It will be neck-through instead of bolt-on like the Rockbass though. 

I'm going to have another friend who owns a body shop paint it a solid color, though I'm not completely decided on the color yet. It's probably completely psychological, but I've always felt that a glossy painted bass has a much better tone than anything with a natural/oiled or even clearcoat finish. 

7/15/21 4:09 p.m.

That sounds cool, make sure to posts pics when it's done

7/15/21 4:27 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Oh I'll probably post pics well before that point ! :-)

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/17/21 9:55 p.m.

I will be watching this!

7/17/21 10:13 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

He got my old bass strapped to it tonight. When I built it(with another friend) back in the 90's either the maple for the neck wasn't fully cured, the ebony slab for the fretboard was too thick, or maybe a combination of both. The result was that half the year the neck had sever back-bow, even with the truss rod completely use, and the only way I could play it was to wedge it into the case with a couple socks to keep the neck under tension. 

He's using the jig so he can take a router & remove the whole fretboard evenly, make sure the neck is true, and install a new double-action truss rod so I hopefully won't have to worry about the problem again. 

If you have any questions about it im sure he'd be happy to provide more details. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/18/21 6:24 a.m.

Nice rig!  
Maybe another thing to look at is the geometry of the truss rod and/or anchor points. (does the rod feel very loose in "neutral" with relaxed strings)
Aside from that, I'd go with the curing theory. Hard maple one piece bass necks take a lot of tlc to play nicely. 

7/18/21 9:54 a.m.

In reply to jh36 :

Thanks for the tips!

We used a non-compression style truss rod, but it was only a single-action one. The new one will be double-action so if the seasonal back-bow persists I should be able to adjust it out. The neck has a maple/walnut sandwich, which should have helped stabilize it, but it apparently wasn't enough  

The ebony fretboard is ridiculously thick though, probably about 3/8". Here's a pic from last night when he started scraping the lacquer off the edge of it. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
7/18/21 3:23 p.m.

Gotcha...yeah, 3/8" is an awesome hunk, and a double action rod should cure all evils. X2 on the sandwich, a 3 piece is generally more stable but that moisture content can still get you. 
I shall enjoy the rest of the saga!  Well played. 

7/18/21 7:13 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

In hindsight I have no idea why we left the truss rod that thick. I don't remember him having a planar, so that might be the reason. Of course I really had no idea about much of the process at the time. He did all the technical & detail work, and I spent probably a hundred hours sanding the body & neck until I got it where I thought I wanted it. 

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
7/23/21 9:58 a.m.

Bringing this one full circle!  So a friend of mine that I work with told me he was going to look at a bunch of gear after work yesterday, and showed me some pics of what the guy had.  One of the pics I could just barely make out a headstock and part of a body, and thought it might be a basket-case Epiphone EA-260, which is the bass version of the basket-case guitar in the original post.  I had him pick it up for me (because they only wanted $25 for it), and upon getting it this morning I discovered it was not an EA-260, but a Gibson built EB-232 Rivoli!  So here is the prerequisite semi-hollow basket case guitar in my office shot.  Haha.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/21 10:17 a.m.

Neat project. My only comment is the repair guy I have used only uses hide glue for anything on a guitar so it can be heated up and removed later if necessary.

barefootskater (Shaun)
7/24/21 8:43 p.m.

Local classifieds will be the death of me. Or at least the cause of my eventual death at the hands of my frustrated wife. 

Not that I needed a bass amp, but the guy was selling a cheap music man bass and this Rumble 100 with case, strap, stand and cable, all for $300. He bit at $260 and it took me exactly 3 hours to sell the bass to a buddy whose daughter wants to learn. So I scored a spare 20' cable, a guitar stand, a nice leather strap, and a really cool little combo for a grand total of $170. A fellow could do a lot worse. 

Also negotiated a deal with a good friend for the return of my old bass. First bass I ever bought and a true workhorse. Hope he doesn't mind me posting a picture of him. 

1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 ... 137

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nIQmSudSLH00gSvJsl7EnRj0mgElQ7geM3yrFNHfgVyHAdwKUIBVoMftpbrOR5VI