1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 136
barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
9/11/21 11:26 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I'm not really a fender guy, *he says while owning a fender amp and two fender clones*, but there is something about teles that I can't get away from. I must have owned half a dozen over the years. Possibly one of the most versatile guitars there is right out of the box. 
Ive got a couple folks on the lookout for used ones locally, or I may build one, but I really want a hot humbucker in the bridge, so should I find a used one it'll likely get a little hacked. All is fair in love and war, and that's just what this is. 

Good name for a band: Love and War. I call dibs if it's not taken yet. 
*edit. It is taken. Apparently they're from Houston. 

*double edit because this is a photo thread. 
This is from earlier today. I've been meaning to assemble what I'm calling "The Three Pittle Rigs"

And one with some guitars for scale

The cab on the right has separate inputs so I can run the tramp and the orange at the same time. The fender is a rumble 100. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/21 5:52 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

These guys cranked out some metal on Teles. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/12/21 2:06 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

That video is hilarious, looks like EMGs on the Teles?

9/12/21 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Not sure, but they were an awesome band. Saw them open for BTBAM in 2010-ish?

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
9/13/21 12:51 p.m.

A little update on the '64 Rivoli.  I've decided to go as original as possible with it.  Unfortunately with the previous body modifications it will need to be painted an opaque finish, so the only thing not original when I'm done will be the color.  So far I've sourced everything I need except for a '62-'65 pickup cover and the choke (inductor).  I've gotten more done on the body, just haven't taken any more pics.

9/13/21 7:42 p.m.

In reply to 16vCorey :

I think you're going to love it when it's finished. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/13/21 9:26 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

That video is hilarious, looks like EMGs on the Teles?

I have a set of Tele EMGs.  I had them in a parts Tele I built decades ago.  I still have them, although my current parts-Tele has a set of Seymour Duncan stacked Tele pickups.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/21 10:40 a.m.

I made the mistake of going to a Foreigner concert and that got me going on 80's synths and, well, this just showed up.

The mighty DX7! My justification is that it's actually a quality keyboard, built as a pro instrument instead of a toy so it should make a good MIDI controller to replace my old PC-200. And it's an icon.

Sharp eyes may notice that it's not actually a DX7, it's a DX7s. Slightly later version with buttons that are more reliable but more importantly, the DX7 was a really early MIDI implementation and has a number of limitations. The DX7s fixes those.

These are all coming out of Japan where they use a 100V power grid (I did not know this!) so there's concern about their ability to run on North American power, but since they are a Real Instrument and not a toy there are service manuals. Looking at the wiring diagram, the internal power supply is not really any different for North America so no worries there.

Unfortunately, the keyboard did not come with a cartridge so it has to rely on the internal sounds, and the internal battery is dead so it's forgotten all of those. I can load patches into it via sysex but my cheapo $8 USB-MIDI adapter sends garbage if it's doing anything other than just key on/key off messages. So I have a new battery and a new MIDI adapter both on the way. But I can use the DX-7s to run my Sound Canvas now, so hey! Welcome to the early 90s. Now I just have to find space for it.

I also picked up one of these for cheap. 

It's a Roland TB-303 clone, darling of the dance music scene. And I am a fan of terrible interfaces. This is an absolutely ATROCIOUS interface, I have decided that all of those classic bass lines were developed by accident. Which is a lot of fun.

I have managed to teach it the bass line for Chamelon with the 808 clone providing drums and featuring monophonic lead on the Minimoog clone. Let's just say it's a little different than the original but I'm having a very good time. Can't say the same about anyone in earshot.

9/16/21 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Years ago I was given an early-80's synth. I don't even remember the brand or model now, but it was pro gear. It was so complicated for my pea-brain to try & figure out - especially its MIDI implementation - that I ended up giving it away to another friend(who I believe still has it). I never touched anything MIDI again afterwards. 

Keith Tanner
9/16/21 11:26 a.m.

MIDI itself is pretty simple and a whole lot easier to figure out than CV stuff on analog synths :) I first started using it for basic purposes in the 90s and it's a great crutch for someone who doesn't have the keyboard skills to play live or who wants to run a whole band by themselves. The MIDI changes on the DX-7s are basically things like a full range of volume (the original went 0-99 instead of the 0-127 in the spec) and the ability to use 16 channels instead of 1. The latter is important - I can change channels to control a different instrument.

The complexity on the older synths is in sound editing, I think. What used to be turning knobs to discover semi-random interactions turned into algorithms - just look at the diagrams printed on the face of that Yamaha! There's a reason the standard DX-7 sounds are the iconic ones, because nobody short of Brian Eno could figure out how to modify them. One of the things I want to do with the keyboard is learn how to program sounds using the native interface, just because that's how my mind works.

Now it's easy because our computers give us nice interfaces to those adjustments and we can just upload sounds. I also resorted to the computer to get the TD-3 to play Chameleon because it was taking forever to try to do it natively. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/16/21 12:25 p.m.

The wife inherited a few 80s synths, some ensoniqs and a Juno-106. We haven't really delved into everything they can do but the simple sounds are pretty cool on the 106 especially

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/16/21 1:20 p.m.

Have to agree on the Tele's. I used to not be a fan, then once I got my Charvel Tele clone, already setup with some monster Lace pickups, it's the best playing guitar I have. 

9/16/21 6:06 p.m.

I just checked with my friend. It's a Sequential Circuits "Multirtrack". He finally got it working again too!

Keith Tanner
9/16/21 8:02 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

I just checked with my friend. It's a Sequential Circuits "Multirtrack". He finally got it working again too!

I'll bet it was the onboard sequencer that was giving you fits :)

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sci/multitrack.php 

9/16/21 9:26 p.m.

I just remember that even with the manual attempting to do any type of programming became frustrating rather quickly. I did like the sounds though. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/16/21 9:31 p.m.

I ordered a thing off reverb. It's red. Pics when I get it. cool

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/16/21 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I'll hazard a guess:

?????

Keith Tanner
9/16/21 11:02 p.m.

Checks out. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/17/21 5:59 p.m.

When I complain about the feel of a $750 guitar that would be one possible solution!

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/17/21 9:26 p.m.

About ten years ago I impulse bought a low end Gretsch at a pawn shop. One of those special finds that just sang to my soul and I had cash. I immediately routed it out and installed a set of leftover burstbuckers (all the LPs were getting EMGs in those days) and it was just a fun little thrasher. Solid single cut. Raw. I traded it off in a Craigslist deal for some pedal and an amp about 4 years ago and it's the only guitar I've ever really regretted passing on. Fast forward to me shopping for cheap teles for detuning duty and I remembered the old Gretsch. Only I've changed phones a few times and lost the dudes info. So I tossed up a want ad on CL describing the thing and offering to buy it back if anyone knew it. 
Two days and the dude texts me. Still has it, still plays great, though the paint bears a few more scars. Looks like another lost one is coming home. 

pics from the current owner. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/18/21 6:04 a.m.

I did a lot of keyboard stuff coming up...all my music money was made that way in spite of my guitar love. DX7's were the weapon to have, and I also had a Roland juno106 and a Korg"something". The Yamaha was light years ahead but I got good analog string sounds from the Roland. 
Stepping back into the 70's and very early 80's it was a Fender Rhodes 73 stage and a mini moog. 
Strangely, last night a bass player friend and I were conniving to find a drummer and put a "texture" band together using some of the old stuff along with some newer effects. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/18/21 9:41 a.m.

I borrowed this for the weekend to test drive. Amazing round, crisp highs and headroom galore. Got sucked into it for an hour this morning. Could have done more. 
Early vt-40 4x10. Heavy as all get out. 

9/18/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to jh36 :

A 4x10 guitar amp? I never knew that Ampeg ever made one. 

Your "texture" band sounds intriguing. I hope you end up with some tracks you can share. 

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
9/18/21 3:20 p.m.

Yep...it's pretty much a v-2 as a 4x10 combo. I like it a lot. 
Certainly...our intention is to record...he and I have played live in a few iterations but never recorded, so that's where we went. I dusted off Live at Pompei and that got us talking!

Happy to share if/when it comes to fruition  

barefootskater (Shaun)
9/18/21 6:39 p.m.

Yesterday she bought an acoustic from FB to flip. Today she sent me to get strings for it. I went to my usual place. Mistake. On the wall is this used beauty:

I get paid Tuesday. It's this or the Gretsch. 

1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 ... 136

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s76egu2msOVmaOVtHWNLbKMWPdncmEx3BcG8A7MX19NKKg6bjdKWhGQieeUFiUW7