1 2
rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
7/28/13 11:47 p.m.

I was out working on cleaning up the shop more trying to get it looking less like a rats nest and more like well a shop. Got me wondering what everyone's work space is like.

Here is mine. Obviously a work in progress and only shows maybe less than a third of my actual shop. Oh and the boys were out helping me.

EDIT. Oh yeah I still have a ton of tools, motorcycle, the Invicta, another Olds and a metric crap ton of old motorcycle parts to move over to this shop. One of my roll always and more benches are behind where I was standing to take the pic.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
7/28/13 11:57 p.m.

I just moved in to my house 2 weeks ago, so I don't yet have mine in order. When I do I will post a picture.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/29/13 5:26 a.m.

I don't have any recent pics. Here's one from 2009

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/29/13 6:46 a.m.

Do you really want to see pictures of my shed and half gravel driveway?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/29/13 7:21 a.m.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/13 7:24 a.m.

Ancient photo. I'm hoping to have a four post lift in the third bay by September.

photo UnspecifiedMiata059.jpg

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/29/13 7:26 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

That is a really nice place you have there.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/29/13 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Thank you!

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/29/13 7:51 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I like that layout, gonna keep that in mind when I replace my 24X28 w/ carport on the side. What's the footprint of that?

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/29/13 8:23 a.m.

In reply to fasted58:

It's 32 deep by 36 wide. I wanted 40x40, but the city wouldn't let me build it that big. The lift bay is 12 wide with a 10' wide door, and could really use to be wider, and I have a narrow lift, so keep that in mind.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/13 8:46 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:

Good thing the 10 Commandments only mention the neighbor's wife and not his shop. Serious garage lust going on here!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/13 8:50 a.m.

OK, so here's the outside:

And the garage door wasn't made to be waterproof, so:

So the inside kinda looks like this:

All cleaned up now and full of projects needing to get done again!

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
7/29/13 8:51 a.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

You win. That is exactly what I want one day.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/29/13 9:28 a.m.

Inside, though the car occupying the right bay changes depending on what I'm working on at the time:

Speaking of, anyone want to buy a big block Cadillac?

And the carport that my stepfather and I built onto the side of it:

Though it isn't exactly what I wanted, the carport did provide covered parking for two more cars. The 95 and 96 fit nicely underneath.

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a '68 95 resto project?

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
7/29/13 9:40 a.m.

Yep I think bravenrace wins so far. Really makes mine look like a dungeon. Granted it kinda is.

pinch uh I think there is a problem there...it doesn't look like you can fit a car in there.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
7/29/13 9:52 a.m.

Last summer I got serious about getting my shop workable. Over the years it had been a storage place for various family members and was full! I took it from this:

To this in about 3 months.

Since then I have installed a lift, big air compressor, tire machine, organized a lot (30%) of my tools, lights, 2 walls of electrical and pushed a couple of projects through it.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154033

Got a lot of my stuff here with more to come soon. Be careful of this site as some of these guys shops are just amazing! Easy to get jealous, inspired and ashamed at the state of my shop by looking at some of the shops here.

Mine is a zero budget shop and will sell stuff to fund my next steps.

Bruce

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/29/13 10:29 a.m.

I built this 24 X 42 ft. garage in 1993. 11 ft. ceilings, 13w X 8h storage above. Two rafters are doubled up near the center where I have a 5:1 block & tackle for snow tires and such, also a come along to lift bodies off cars, engines and stuff.

Second photo is the back right corner. I welded a bunch of old 4" long bolts to an angle iron and bolted it to the side of the cabinet near the compressor, good place to hang extension cords. Under the bench are about 40 drawers bought for $8 at a Gov't auction. Fridge, 6 speaker stereo, no cable.

There's a plastic curtain that drops down in the winter, separating the front from the back. The back is heated by propane. Compressor, welder, bench, everything but time.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
7/29/13 11:06 a.m.

Good timing - I just finished the hugely overdue garage organization and cleaning project that's been festering since last winter.

So this is the Area 51 Racing shop. 32 x 26 feet, plenty of tool storage, 6' maple bench w/ a big vise, Safety-Kleen tank, 20 ton (ha!) hydraulic press, a big 2-bowl restaurant sink, flammables cabinet, TIG, MIG and gas welding gear, plasma cutter, 60 gallon, 5hp, 2 stage, 4 cylinder compressor w/ refrigerated air dryer and hose reel, blast cabinet, 24' of steel racking.

Off the basement of the house is the machine shop:

9x49" mill w/ power feed on X, power drawbar and DROs, 14x40 lathe w/ DRO, 7x12 horizontal bandsaw, 14" dual range vertical bandsaw, small and large disc/belt sanders, drill press, Di-Acro 24" shear and box-pan brake, 6" notcher, #2 bender. Tool grinder, bench grinder, tons of tooling, collets, chucks, vises and tooling in chests, 14' of Metro steel commercial shelving, 8' work+assembly bench, 6' maple layout and inspection bench, nice old steelcase desk w/ a time clock and rotary phone, just 'cause.

turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
7/29/13 11:48 a.m.

Wow. Is that hobby level or are you making a living with all that gear?

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
7/29/13 12:10 p.m.

Looking through this really makes me wish I wasn't scared of home ownership. As a renter, it's hard to find a property I want to live in that has more than two car's worth of garage space, for something I feel I can afford.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
7/29/13 12:53 p.m.

thanks to the PO. 28x28

actually I dont have any pics of the inside hosted online. but yea its got a lot of E36 M3 in it (very little is actually tools, i dont have much more than hand tools at the moment) and not enough places to put it. i need moar shelves and cabinets and such still.

would love to add a standalone carport next to it or something hanging off the side like Powar did.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
7/29/13 1:56 p.m.

For anyone reading this thread that lives where winters are cold and is considering building a shop, here is the single best feature you can put in it, IMHO:

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/29/13 3:18 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

What an odd way to run shop air

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/29/13 3:35 p.m.

30x60; machine shop really but it needs a lot of work before I can work in it. Right now I use it for storage and move whatever I'm working on into the garage.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
7/29/13 8:46 p.m.

The garage

The paint booth

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w7FLjr6FewwfJnCZR867knPTKfHdHET3MoSlQ7bWEuS2R4p4luGUxD209rU0D382