1 2
Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
10/3/14 1:22 p.m.

Cotton, would you be willing to disclose a ballpark dollar amount you paid for this beastie? You can round to the nearest thousand or tens of thousands if needed. I just need to get some idea so I can start saving.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/3/14 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

You can usually find the regular 5ton expansible vans from 4k (very rough) to 20k (excellent condition). I feel like I got a really good deal on this one and all the game stuff was a bonus.

I forgot to mention it only has 6500 miles!

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
10/3/14 2:57 p.m.

You NEED to bring that to Mitty!

I smell a stanky-n-sketchy tourney...

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
10/3/14 4:07 p.m.

does it have air brakes? are the chambers caged? please take a pic and post it, may be able to help

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/3/14 4:23 p.m.
warpedredneck wrote: does it have air brakes? are the chambers caged? please take a pic and post it, may be able to help

It uses an air over hydraulic setup that I'm not familiar with, but there seems to be issue with both the air and hydraulics. The master is dry and there are at least a couple of wheel cylinders leaking, plus the electric compressor that fills the tanks isn't kicking on. I downloaded the military technical manual on the truck and plan to remedy the hydraulic issues first, because that will give me some braking power, then work on the air. I will try and get some pics up of the setup though because any help is appreciated. Also, I need to buy a bigger jack.....like A LOT bigger!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
10/3/14 4:24 p.m.

I really want this rig. I have been playing with the idea of tracking one of these beasts down to make a camper rig. There was one for sale not far from me that I went and drooled over regularly.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
10/3/14 7:09 p.m.

Sounds like a massive gaming night of Forza 4 at the Rolex is in order.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/3/14 8:03 p.m.

I'd really like to bring it to the challenge next year if I can make it work. I have a couple of challenge eligible cars already, and I don't think towing will be a problem, even though it'll be slow, and surely I'll have the damn thing sorted enough by then for a road trip. I figure I could park at the host hotel and we could have some sweet gaming sessions throughout the weekend. Plus, being such a close knit group I wouldnt worry about it getting messed up, and honestly it would probably be in better shape when I left than when I arrived! Hell I'm sure someone would try and turbo it lol.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
10/3/14 8:04 p.m.

Wait, what?

I mean.....

I can't.......

Hmmmmm

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/4/14 7:02 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Well that takes the cake. I think I've seem the end of the internet.

The cake is a lie, however this truck is truly awesome!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
10/4/14 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

Oh man... DO IT!!!!

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
10/4/14 10:48 p.m.

Pure awesome... and all the other great stuff everyone else said.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/14 11:06 p.m.

Is it a ntc cummins? Sounds like it. Call pittsburg power and they will help you get 800 horsepower out of it and improve the fuel economy at the same time.

Probably want to do the brakes first I guess.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/5/14 11:04 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Is it a ntc cummins? Sounds like it. Call pittsburg power and they will help you get 800 horsepower out of it and improve the fuel economy at the same time. Probably want to do the brakes first I guess.

It's an nhc cummins. I'll see if they have a thing for that one.

bearmtnmartin
10/5/14 1:00 p.m.

Is that the NA version of the ntc?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/5/14 2:16 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin:

It's definitely NA, not sure if they're the same otherwise though. If they are it should be pretty simple to add a turbo from the ntc.

bearmtnmartin
10/5/14 5:39 p.m.

855 refers to cubic inches which is 14 liters I think. Your motor is probably more or less interchangeable with big cam and small cam ntc's also the xt ( cummins has something extra!) Then they went to overhead cam

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
10/5/14 8:46 p.m.

Yes, that's the non-turbo dump, local truck motor. Same as a big cam but w/out what gives it any useable power.

Truck is awesome, there are kits to do the engine up or swap a N14 into it and be done.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/6/14 9:25 a.m.

I have driven many miles in the bobtail and dump truck versions of that truck. As for the fuel mileage, the standard use to be a military vehicle had to be able to go 300 miles on one tank of fuel so it should be fairly easy to figure out.

We had both turbo and NA trucks and I will say this about them. If the road was flat the turbo was better but if there were grades to pull the NA ones were where you wanted to be.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/6/14 9:35 a.m.

I kinda hate you right now. That is all...

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/10/14 3:15 p.m.

All set up at home. Still no brakes, but I've been out of town for work this week, so haven't had a chance to work on it.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

This one has a 78 gallon tank, so that would work out to about 3.8 MPG. Not bad if true. Hopefully I'll get to drive it enough to find out.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
3/17/16 12:40 a.m.

Came across this as I was researching these 5 ton 6x6 trucks. You know, something to haul dirtbikes with. What's the status on yours?

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
3/17/16 2:06 p.m.

Since someone dug up the tread, what is the update of that bad boy anyway?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/26/18 12:08 a.m.

Bueller? Any updates? 

Sorry for bringing a zombie back, I was searching for something else and now I gotta know what happened to this.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/5/18 11:01 p.m.

Just saw the bump.  I still have it and still play video games in it.  Occasionally climb onto the roof and have a beer.  I never bothered to get it tagged or insured for road use,  but we’ll probably be moving in the next year or so,  which will finally motivate me to do it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZGqC3uaSFaPBJFmLsyXpXMphPT9VDsZ8ZI4PPfBJnpoZbR0vX3MZKE7JYPAUkUTF