hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/5/23 8:23 a.m.

Me and the wife are leaving next Monday to go to NJ for a couple of days to see Brian Fallon at The Stone Pony

Im stoked

Ive passed through NJ YEARS ago, went to a wedding there years before that. Any places I should check out? Food? Sites to see while there?

Im NOT stoked on the place charging for beach access (we likely WONT go to the beach, its 7 bucks a person per day...man, my parents have a beach house and we rarely visit that ha)

Driving from NC to NJ, planning to take the turbo MR2 (wife's choice of what car we take)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/5/23 9:46 a.m.

IF POSSIBLE, fill up before you cross the border and use it sparingly. BIL lived in Wall Jersey for several years before moving to Philly. Literally every time we went and had to buy gas our credit card info was stolen. Every time. The two times we didn't have to buy gas there we were fine. Since you're not allowed to pump your own and many still run the card "in the booth". out of towners get shafted.

f'n hate that state personally and am glad I have no need to ever go back. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/23 11:19 a.m.

can't help with Joysey but man that's gonna be a great show!

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/6/23 12:17 p.m.

Yeah were looking forward to going to such a legendary club and seeing a great singer/songerwriter.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/8/23 10:34 a.m.
bobzilla said:

IF POSSIBLE, fill up before you cross the border and use it sparingly. BIL lived in Wall Jersey for several years before moving to Philly. Literally every time we went and had to buy gas our credit card info was stolen. Every time. The two times we didn't have to buy gas there we were fine. Since you're not allowed to pump your own and many still run the card "in the booth". out of towners get shafted.

f'n hate that state personally and am glad I have no need to ever go back. 

Ive thought about your first part quite a bit, Ill be taking cash for the gas stations. I dont like the idea of the card going out of sight. Also, I think we're taking the Fiesta instead of the MR2...its more spacious, better MPG, and less likely to get nicked in the night or have wheels pulled etc ha....freaking Jersey.

With that said, I can fill up when we're in Fredricksburg VA the day before and it'll last me there and back to Alexandria where we're meeting one of her friends on the way back. So I'll take 40 for gas JUST IN CASE, but I dont think I'll need to use it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/8/23 10:44 a.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

that's a good plan.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/8/23 11:11 a.m.

I've bought gas in NJ a lot over the past 30+ years of living in PA and working in NJ, since gas is usually much cheaper there.  I've never had info stolen via the station.  Most stations these days use typical self-service style pumps, so the card is used at the pump by the attendant. Often, they'll give the card right back to you after they swipe it. Or they leave it in the pump until finished and give it back with the receipt.  Either way, the card doesn't need to be out of sight.  Fun fact: if you drive a diesel, you can usually pump it yourself at most stations. 

There's a German brew-house/restaurant near the Stone Pony that is pretty good.  Asbury Festhalle & Biergarten on Lake Ave. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/8/23 2:56 p.m.

@Ian F - within walking distance?

Are you in that area? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/8/23 3:04 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I imagine having Indiana plates didn't help us. we havent been back in 6 years now.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
6/8/23 3:05 p.m.

Haven't been to Asbury in several years, but went there often.  Unless it's changed recently, be careful of the flying bullets.... not a great town 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/8/23 10:02 p.m.

Its nowhere near as shiitty as it used to. 

Rad show and I will be in oc that week...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/23 12:10 a.m.

Yes, they have really cleaned up Asbury Park. It's no Bradley Beach, but give it a few years. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/9/23 7:29 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Are you in that area? 

Looking at both on a map, I'd say yes - less than a mile and a 12 min walk, according to Google.  Especially since it's unlikely you'll park right next to the Stone Pony. Of course, it'll depend on what you consider "walking distance." 

I live in eastern PA near Philly and have spent a fair amount of time in various parts of NJ.  However, currently working in NH.

I suppose out of state plates didn't help. A PA plate in NJ may as well be a local. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/9/23 8:19 a.m.

My mom lives in pa but only buys gas in jersey cause it's cheaper.  Going on 40 years of doing this and no theft yet. 

one wacky quirk is the difference in cash vs credit card price.  Pay cash price is usually cheaper. 

I haven't been to asbury park in a loooooong time. Enjoy. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/9/23 9:54 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
hybridmomentspass said:

Are you in that area? 

Looking at both on a map, I'd say yes - less than a mile and a 12 min walk, according to Google.  Especially since it's unlikely you'll park right next to the Stone Pony. Of course, it'll depend on what you consider "walking distance." 

I live in eastern PA near Philly and have spent a fair amount of time in various parts of NJ.  However, currently working in NH.

I suppose out of state plates didn't help. A PA plate in NJ may as well be a local. 

We have a bed and breakfast we're staying at that's 2 blocks from the Stone Pony

I'll be looking that place up for sure!

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/17/23 5:04 p.m.

OK, so we're home!

Honestly, a great trip, a cool place.

I REALLY liked Asbury Park. Small beach community, quite clean, easily walkable (ended up being further from the venue than expected, but was still only a 10 minute walk).

With a population of "only" 15k, whereas here in Winston Salem it's 250k, it was def a different feel. We both liked how we could walk around AP or Ocean Grove (technically where our B&B was) without feeling like it was a chore - once we arrived at the place and parked the car (right out front!) we didnt crank it again until we were pulling away to head back to NC. Part of that, Im sure, is the lack of humidity! We always have high humidity down south, up there was barely any

The B/B was nice - Ocean Park Inn. Small, quaint. Dominic, who runs the place, was very nice and prepared breakfast each morning. A modest breakfast, but still good. Each morning is an egg dish (example, Thursday we had a brocolli and cheddar frittata (sp?), and there's always some chobani, oatmeal, multiple kinds of bread, pastries, and fresh fruit offered. As well, of course, as milk, water, coffee, and juice.

I liked how chill the place was. We're used to Myrtle Beach SC...and that boardwalk is sketch. But here it was just very casual and had some nice shops in the covered market section (which is part of the boardwalk). Very clean, too. LOTS of trashcans on the beach and boardwalk, never an excuse to litter and we, really, saw SO LITTLE litter about the entire city as we walked. Nice beaches to look at, lakes just off the coash scattered about the city.

I just really liked it.

When anywhere Im always looking at cars...car scene seemed to suck. Again, it's a small place, but I saw one car that I liked, an old (late 80s) flare-side Ford F150 that was very clean. Other than that...nah. A lot of rusty locals. But I guess that's what happens in a beach community that gets snow!

The concert/show was...not great. Ive seen Brian Fallon before with a backing band and itw as EXCELLENT! But this time he was solo/acoustic and, honestly, I question if he was drunk. He was not him. Cussing quite a bit, seemed 'lost' and just rambled a ton. This was the first time Ive went to see a headliner and looked forward to the end. it got better with time, and as he drank some soda on stage, by the end it was good. But the first half (about a 75 minute show) was rough with it taking about half the time till we got one full, uninterrupted song. Yeah, it was rough. I love his music with his solo stuff as well as The Gaslight Anthem, but I will NOT go see him live if he's not with a band to keep him on track.

The opener, Donovan Woods, a Canadian folk singer, was great! His between song banter was OUTSTANDING, had the whole crowd rolling. I'll post a video later, I recorded some. And his heartbreaking music was great, too.

I'd like to go back sometime, go see another punk rock show. But the tolls hit the wallet hard (one time I had to pee and the service center was closed down, so I had to go to a 'normal' exit...total was almost 30 bucks between the exit and entrance). THat said, the roads were FANTASTIC! Not a single pot hole or bad patches etc. Just smooth sailing.

@ianF - ended up having dinner there at the German place before the show on Wednesday, very good.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/23 10:03 a.m.

You chose the right time of year too. Another week and the place would have been jammed with summer tourists.  I grew up in Ocean City NJ. During the winter it has 11,000 people living in a mile (at it's widest point) by 8 mile island. During the weekends in the summer it can get north of 200,000 people. I can remember coming home from work and having to get two cars towed from behind my house, as they were parked in my driveway leaving me no place to park my own car.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/21/23 1:16 p.m.

Im hoping ot go back at some point in the next year. I really did dig it. 

Id like to go see the Bouncing Souls up there

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/21/23 2:24 p.m.

I was >< close to taking my 9yo to see him (she is a fan through osmosis) but now glad I didn't bother. You did pick a great week for weather. We were down in OC and only got some rain Friday which probably missed you.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
6/21/23 10:37 p.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

I was >< close to taking my 9yo to see him (she is a fan through osmosis) but now glad I didn't bother. You did pick a great week for weather. We were down in OC and only got some rain Friday which probably missed you.

Be glad.

Ive NEVER heard him cuss on recorded material or any live videos...and he dropped several Fs and other things. The whole crowd went silent the first time, everyone in shock. He paused and said, "oh, yall caught that?"

Then, later, came more.

He just didnt do well. Ive seen him before and it was excellent. This one sucked though, wont see him by himself again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Doni8aUn02Bu7LxtbHtYgDOSX19qL0MtF0VRR8UWMA5i4xdE3taumuMEI0fWp3X1