1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/21/21 3:40 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
DrBoost said:

They say avoid engines that have a displacement ending in .7.

So, can we jump back into this .7 engine thing?  Particularly the 4.7 V8?  The internet seems to think they are prone to overheating and subsequent head gasket failures.  Does this sound about right?

The vehicle surrounding this engine might be a 1500 Ram truck.  Anybody want to share some knowledge? 

Yeah, that's the issue that is most common. The 4.7 and 3.7 need regular maintenance, and at appears nobody does that. If you KNOW it's been taken care of, it's a really great motor. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/21 9:46 a.m.
DrBoost said:

They say avoid engines that have a displacement ending in .7. They are actually decent motors, but they NEED to have regular oil changes. Who does that?!?! I like the ZJ (first gen, up to 1998) and the WJ (second gen, 1999 to 2004) are my favorites. I like the solid axle. 
The transmissions behind the I6 and V8s are good, but look out for a check-valve in the trans cooler line. The ball is plastic. The plastic deforms if it gets really hot and sticks closed. Transmission carniage ensues. Replace the valve with an all-metal one and, while your in there, put a big trans cooler up front and happy wheeling.  

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. Lifted on 32's for that road presence you're looking for. No manual, but built auto.  If you're interested, PM me. 

Liberty wheels? Or GC with a bigger context?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/24/21 10:52 a.m.

Curmudgeon was a service writer at a Jeep dealership. He said a base model wj with the 4.0 was the one to get.  I think he said an 03 or so. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X5yneXpcugmbXSz33RK6oTU8PRRMWG0UknDSdi0IAMTKOyYB0RRCNZ3GWK5cqkFI