1 2
slefain
slefain SuperDork
6/29/11 12:37 p.m.

So a ghetto rat apparently dug around our mail yesterday. From what I can tell they didn't get anything. They opened a credit card offer letter but left the actual application behind. I guess they were expecting an actual credit card inside. I just froze my credit with all three agencies and opted out of the stupid credit card maillings (https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t). But I still think a locking mailbox is a good idea. My wife wants to get a P.O. box but I think it will be a hassle, plus a perpetual cost. Anyone have a "security" mailbox? I'm not looking for Fort Knox, just something to keep the ghetto rats from reaching in and grabbing the mail. I know most boxes can still be fished, but I figure a nice piece of barbwire tacked inside the slot will keep that down.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
6/29/11 1:29 p.m.

Mailboxes vary greatly. Is your mailbox at the front door, part of a group of mailboxes or at the road?

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
6/29/11 1:33 p.m.

I use this one. They have a pretty decent selection of others that range in price too.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/11 1:46 p.m.

We have this one. As long as you have a mail carrier that's smart enough to put the mail in far enough to drop down it works great. Or mail carrier, not so smart, leaves all the mail sitting on the little shelf where anyone can still grab it, completely defeating the purpose of a locking mailbox entirely.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/29/11 1:57 p.m.

A PO box is mighty secure, and not particularly inconvenient or expensive. I don't have one right now, but I have in the past. Dollar for dollar, it's probably your most secure bet.

Another possiblity, switch to all e-billing.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
6/29/11 2:16 p.m.

One problem with a PO box is the whole buying online and shipping to a home address. A lot of people won't sell to people with a PO box address and lot of businesses won't take a check with a PO address.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
6/29/11 2:50 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: One problem with a PO box is the whole buying online and shipping to a home address. A lot of people won't sell to people with a PO box address and lot of businesses won't take a check with a PO address.

I've lived in towns where PO boxes were the only opion for years and years now (three towns in a row too big for rural route delivery, too small for a local carrier) and neither of those are actual problems.

1) I don't know of a single business that ships USPS that won't ship to a PO Box. And if they aren't using the post office for shipping, you don't use the PO Box address anyhow. (See #3 though for a related problem that actually exists)

2a) My checks have a PO Box # on them, never been a problem, but let's assume it is somewhere...

2b) You could still put your street address on the checks

3) A more common problem that actually exists is when a company doesn't ship to PO Boxes (not a problem by itself) and also doesn't ship unless your credit card billing address (probably your PO Box) doesn't match the shipping address. This is fixable with a quick call to your CC issuer, you can add the street address as a valid address even if that's not where bills are sent.

All that being said, PO boxes can be a pain in the ass.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/11 4:06 p.m.

The problem with PO boxes as a vendor is that UPS won't ship there. Also, some vendors don't like shipping to an address other than the billing address on the card - doesn't matter if it's a PO box or not. Combine that with UPS shipping and you have a problem.

Just the view from the other side of the fence.

Meanwhile, my mail carrier can't be bothered to close the door on the mailbox most of the time. A locking box would obviously be too hard to deal with.

alex
alex SuperDork
6/29/11 4:17 p.m.

Is a mail slot in the door out of the question?

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
6/29/11 4:43 p.m.
Keith wrote: The problem with PO boxes as a vendor is that UPS won't ship there. Also, some vendors don't like shipping to an address other than the billing address on the card - doesn't matter if it's a PO box or not. Combine that with UPS shipping and you have a problem.

Right, which is why you still give your street address to someone that uses UPS. This occasionally equires a phone call if they won't tell you how they plan on shipping.

And the billing address mismatch is easy to fix. You call your CC up and have the street address added as valid even though it isn't your real billing address. There's an official name for this, but I don't know what it is. I call it my fake billing address. They check with the credit card company, get a match and send your loot on its way.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/11 4:56 p.m.

It's usually called an "authorized address" or an "alternate". We've been requiring that for years for first-time customers shipping to an alternate address. Not all customers are willing to do it, and not all banks will confirm addresses over the phone. But it's a good way to go if all parties are willing to play along.

fasted58
fasted58 HalfDork
6/29/11 5:02 p.m.

Isn't stealing mail a federal crime? IIRC, your personal mailbox is considered federal property for their purpose of delivery.

For some fun set up video surveilence.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
6/29/11 5:06 p.m.
alex wrote: Is a mail slot in the door out of the question?

Yeah, my house is set too far back from the street.

Hmmm, but my fence is only 3 feet behind the mailbox. Maybe I should just make a "laundry chute" from the mailbox to a box inside my fence.

fasted58 wrote: Isn't stealing mail a federal crime? IIRC, your personal mailbox is considered federal property for their purpose of delivery. For some fun set up video surveilence.

I didn't even bother reporting it. With the number of people who walk down my street every day I'd have hours of tape to review.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
6/29/11 9:31 p.m.

Wait.....You can opt out of the credit card application mailings? Will have to check that out. I get a couple of these everyday, most of the time that's all that is in the mail. Just figured it would keep the Post Office and postal workers employed.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/11 9:38 p.m.

As far as the unsolicited credit card mailings, I will open those, write in black sharpie, "Remove me from your mailing list", and I also tear up the pre-approved checks if there are any of those in there and stuff ALL of it, including the original envelope, into their prepaid return envelope and send it back.

It will cost them more than the prepaid envelope is intended to cover because of the extra bulk, and it is quite satisfying. I have noticed that I don't get any more junk from CHASE (worst offender). The fastest way to get their attention is to cost them money. /thread hijack

xd
xd Reader
6/29/11 9:56 p.m.

UPS store = post office box with real street address. I have a few. The also will forward mail for you.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
6/30/11 6:47 a.m.

If you live in a town where they can and do deliver regular mail to your house, getting and additiona PO box for security reasons is all win-win. Everyone can, and will, deliver boxes and such to your door.

But if you live in the sticks and do not have mail delivery, packages can indeed become quite a problem. Especially with international deliveries, when you're not sure how they are going to be shipped. Doubled since now the USPS contracts with UPS.

And trying dual addresses on the shipping label just doesn't help.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
6/30/11 7:48 a.m.

"Hmmm, but my fence is only 3 feet behind the mailbox. Maybe I should just make a "laundry chute" from the mailbox to a box inside my fence".

Oh, I like this! Much like a mail slot at the door, except it's remote

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/30/11 7:59 a.m.

We are having issues with people stealing mail out of the boxes in our neighborhood and the post office seems like it could care less.

If we can spot them and give them video that shows the license number then they say they will go after them.

The P.O. recommends you never send mail from your home and they recommend a P.O. box, but they would wouldn't they, they make money when you use a P.O. box.

The P.O. is so stupid that they've only just realized that no few people use the US mail for their junk mail anymore, it's all electronic. They are starting a compaign to get people to bother you thru the mail more.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/11 9:17 a.m.

My buddy travels a bit, and he uses a rather large box with a slot on the top and a large locking door on the front. It's a good idea. If you google "locking mailbox" you will find an amazing array of options.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
6/30/11 1:44 p.m.

Well the ballsy bastards hit the whole street today. Mail scattered all down the street. Apparently they just walk by a mailbox, grab everything out, then sort and toss as they walk. Now we know it is a local since they have hit multiple times.Luckily my wife grabbed the mail just after the mailman came by so our stuff was safe. We put a mail stop order in at the post office and we will be forwarding our mail to a P.O. box now. Apparently we can keep the mailing address, but our mail will just be forwarded to the P.O. box. I remember that we did that with granddad for his house when he moved in with my in-laws.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/11 2:43 p.m.

well.. the PO might not care... but I am sure the Police Might after they pulled that stunt.

This always bothers me. My Brother in law's brother is an EX postman.. he is now on disability after getting mugged for his mail. He got piston whipped for the SS cheques and now can't drive a car due to double vision and epileptic symptoms

tonnygarden
tonnygarden
9/12/12 5:36 a.m.

Everyone prefers to lock mailbox in front of their house due to its security benefit because thieves will have a long time trying to steal their mails or any other parcels.

Plenty of free birdhouse patterns

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
9/12/12 6:48 a.m.

PO boxes can be pretty cool. We have one because my GF has creepy fans (long story) and also runs an online store, so she needs a return address that prevents people from showing up at our door. It's convenient to be able to have stuff sent there, though, and it's relatively cheap and quite secure. It's a nice option if you live in an apartment and have carriers who think it's OK to leave packages on the doorstep, too...

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
9/12/12 7:25 a.m.

I've got this one, although I chose to not stick that goofy "Mail" badge on it. Then my dog chewed the medallion up into little pieces. Yes, it's metal. When you lift the lid it's got a second door with a slot in it, and that door locks. Definitely not Ft. Knox, but enough to keep hooligans from rifling around in there.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bTx12alwfGyyhjBfVf1cT1FRVvEFFe0h85SOyALbVHZADN77FPzwuUNX59El46ns