jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
5/30/17 12:46 a.m.

i need an (apparently) odd sized tent. i want to be able to set this tent up on the deck of my boat, so i can camp out on the water. i have a pontoon boat, with available area of 8x12 feet. i'm looking for a somewhat vertical sided tent, big enough to stand in. most of the cabin style tents i see are 10x12 or bigger. that obviously wont work. most of the 8x-- tents i see are low profile 2 person or 3 person tents. also a no-go.

am i missing something? im essentially looking for a "quick up canopy" shaped tent with one side dimension of 8ft.

any input would be appreciated.

-J0N

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/17 12:53 a.m.

How about a Popup canopy and maybe add fabric sides? You can get zipper strips, grommets, or buttons, and just attach walls as needed.

This one has mesh sides already, would keep the bugs out and be easy to attach something more substantial to.

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/30/17 2:50 a.m.

thats too big. its 8x8 at the top, and 10x10 at the bottom, unless im reading that wrong.

-J0N

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/30/17 2:55 a.m.

https://www.amazon.com/Quictent-8-2x8-2Feet-Party-Canopy-Gazebo/dp/B00ZCAWZZQ/ref=pd_sbs_86_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZCAWZZQ&pd_rd_r=Y0GQHZV744FS76WDPFG9&pd_rd_w=Y2B4h&pd_rd_wg=pSLR6&psc=1&refRID=Y0GQHZV744FS76WDPFG9

(someday i need someone to teach me how to make 5 line links into single clickable words like the above poster did)

this is 8.2x8.2, which is likely close enough. i could see adding tarp or similar fabric to this to make it enclosed. hmm...

I'll keep looking...

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/30/17 2:58 a.m.

even better... correct dimensions AND the sides are included. its also available in the same color as my boats carpet...no screen windows or the like to let air in.

https://www.amazon.com/Quictent-Silvox-Canopy-Gazebo-Waterproof-7/dp/B00MAZD870/ref=sr_1_9?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1496130968&sr=1-9&keywords=8x8%2Btent&th=1

-J0N

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/30/17 3:22 a.m.

i found this, too. its actually pretty close to what i need. http://a.co/fK8pOPx

-J0N

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/30/17 4:09 a.m.

You could also just use some straps to restrict the size of a 10' tent. Or pockets on the deck for the poles. You just have to keep it inside of 8. Tents are flexible and I'm guessing in high winds or extreme weather you won't be using it on the boat so the bit of sag in the compressed sides won't matter.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/17 8:05 a.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: (someday i need someone to teach me how to make 5 line links into single clickable words like the above poster did)

When you're writing your post, click on the Link icon above emojis. It's the third one from the left, after B and I. Put the link URL in the top box and what you want it to say in the bottom.

jere
jere HalfDork
5/30/17 11:16 a.m.

You might want to consider making the tent you need from a slightly larger cheap tent if it isn't squishable to the area you have. Most tents have minimal sewing for the poles sleeves.

If you don't have one sewing machines are cheap and useful for other things. I like the cast iron singers but anything 80s or older is a safe bet for quality.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/30/17 5:56 p.m.
Woody wrote:
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: (someday i need someone to teach me how to make 5 line links into single clickable words like the above poster did)
When you're writing your post, click on the Link icon above emojis. It's the third one from the left, after B and *I*. Put the link URL in the top box and what you want it to say in the bottom.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/30/17 7:14 p.m.

Would this work?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/17 7:51 p.m.
Woody wrote: When you're writing your post, click on the Link icon above emojis. It's the third one from the left, after B and *I*. Put the link URL in the top box and what you want it to say in the bottom.

Or you can just enter the HTML directly.

<a href="URL goes here">text goes here</a>

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/17 8:03 p.m.

You don't sleepwalk do you?

jmthunderbirdturbo
5/30/17 9:58 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker:

i saw that, but the door is in the wrong place. i suppose you could rotate the sides around, but i still think id rather have a fully enclosed tent. is the 8x8 Eureka i posted the only one out there? anyone know of an 8x10?

-J0N

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
5/31/17 6:31 a.m.

In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo:

I saw an 8x13 Coleman cabin type tent...

jmthunderbirdturbo
6/1/17 12:36 a.m.
RealMiniParker wrote: In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo: I saw an 8x13 Coleman cabin type tent...

Really? where?

-J0N

jmthunderbirdturbo
6/1/17 12:39 a.m.

i found THIS one... its a Trek, their pretty proud of it @ 200 bones...

-J0N

jmthunderbirdturbo
6/1/17 12:59 a.m.

i like this one, but it appears to be NLA.

this is available, but i dont like it as much. the other one has a nicer rain fly off the front...

still looking.

-J0N

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/1/17 11:59 a.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote:
RealMiniParker wrote: In reply to jmthunderbirdturbo: I saw an 8x13 Coleman cabin type tent...
Really? where? -J0N

Oops, it's 7x13, and it looks like the door opening is in the wrong location.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LgsRyCMRa3mmIW8awGDBgSuOY2UFqUHG40uBqo5rmxrEROxkm9tvj36KBxxjbNLa