1 2
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/20 9:51 a.m.

The 12 year old seems to think since she is out of school, she can sleep all day and be up all night. This does not fly with me, as she has ONE chore per day to do and isn't getting them done.

So next step, I want to shut off the Wi-Fi specifically to her devices at a certain time every day then turn them back on later.

I know comcrap had something like that, but I don't use comcrap. 

I do have a Netgear AC 750 router. NETGEAR AC750 Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Router (R6020-100NAS)

I'm not against changing the firmware if I have to, but I'd rather not. 

Surely there is a program for Android or windows 10 that will let me set timers on specific ip addresses, I just don't know what it is.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 10:06 a.m.

Its typically set on the router itself.

Worst case you could temporarily block her device's MAC address each night and open it every morning.

So that's a Range Extender, not a full router so that might not have the full functionality to do that.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
7/21/20 10:12 a.m.

I stand corrected:  There is a access scheduling built in

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX2800/EX2800_UM_EN.pdf

There's also their Nighthawk app that you can use to control the device and its settings.

No Time
No Time Dork
7/21/20 10:12 a.m.

Our router included Disney Circle for parental control, but the hardware is available as standalone as well. It cost me $5/month for the subscription. 

I set up each kid as a user and then assigned their devices (iPod, phone, chrome book) to them and can control each kid separately. It let me use the setting to control off time, bed time, time limits for specific apps or categories, block websites/apps and view history. 

There's more, but you get the picture. I can provide more info if you want. 

a couple screenshots from the app, each circle is a different user or category I created with its own control settings:

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
7/21/20 10:28 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

Interesting. I have a nearly 6yr old daughter who may not be happy I've stumbled on to this functionality! 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/20 10:28 a.m.

Your Netgear should have a way to do that. I have a Netgear and can turn off internet to my kid's devices through the app. 

The app I use is Netgear Nighthawk. They also have another app with parental controls, it's from Netgear as well. 

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/21/20 10:35 a.m.

I use Google Family Link to set limits on my 12 year old's screen time in his phone and Chromebook. It let's you also control apps and websites that can be used.

RevRico
7/21/20 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

I have not been able to get the Nighthawk app to work. 2 different routers, 2 different ISPs, 3 different phones, nonone of them would get past initialization.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
7/21/20 11:10 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

ok.  I've never used it.  Just going off their documentation, I suspect you worked with Netgear's tech support and the ISP's tech support and they all pointed fingers at each other? 

Ignore all of that, its just fluff.  You can still log directly into the router via the router's ip adress in your browser of choice and make the changes you want as described in the manual I linked above.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/21/20 12:37 p.m.

Note that blocking mac addresses is not actually "security", because the device can generate packets using any mac address it wants.  This is probably good enough for John's 6 year old, but if RevRico's 12 year is technically inclined it's not that hard to get around the problem and I'm sure there are "how to" youtube videos out there.  Actually secure solutions to this kind of problem do exist, but they usually aren't available in consumer-grade equipment.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 12:41 p.m.

I remember sitting down with a friend who wanted to block his daughter.  I'd block it then say and this is how you get around that.  Then block that way and say this is how you get around that.  Lucky for me Lil Stampie isn't to that point yet.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/21/20 12:52 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Your Netgear should have a way to do that. I have a Netgear and can turn off internet to my kid's devices through the app. 

The app I use is Netgear Nighthawk. They also have another app with parental controls, it's from Netgear as well. 

You'd think they could put that all into one app. 

Multiple apps to control a router seems excessive.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/20 1:04 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

You'd think they could put that all into one app. 

Multiple apps to control a router seems excessive.

I agree. I had a Luma before and it had a very user friendly app. I wish the hardware worked as well as the Netgear though. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/21/20 1:08 p.m.

I can totally relate -- with four kids and tons of screens in the house, it has been a constant headache trying to manage their screen time and my oldest keeps breaking the rules.  I'd love to hear from any of you who have a system in your household that works.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
7/21/20 1:31 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Note that blocking mac addresses is not actually "security", because the device can generate packets using any mac address it wants.  This is probably good enough for John's 6 year old, but if RevRico's 12 year is technically inclined it's not that hard to get around the problem and I'm sure there are "how to" youtube videos out there.  Actually secure solutions to this kind of problem do exist, but they usually aren't available in consumer-grade equipment.

Yeah, I wasn't going to get into all of that, but ultimately its about understanding the squidgy organic bit behind the device, but that's neither here nor there.  If they can spoof their mac address, they can more easily connect directly to the router and lift the blocking or even install their own with a hidden SID among other things (share the network from another device, etc.)

Growing up, I was on the computer all the time, but I still got my chores done.  Taking the devices away until a reasonable solution to getting chores done is found sounds like a better solution in the long run.  Staying up all night isn't the issue, that's up to them and its one of the best things about the summer time, IMO.  Work on getting the chores done instead and the rest will sort itself out.  This means the devices and other priveleges go away until the responsibility is established.  This also means being somewhat flexible on when they do those chores.  If they can do them the night before for example.

RevRico
7/21/20 2:06 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Honestly I kind of hope that's how it works. If I can force her to learn something to get around me, at least she's learning. 

She's not my kid, but I see a lot of younger me in her, her attitude and mannerisms and some interests. Except when it came to computers 12 year old me took "you can't do this or you can't go there" as a challenge, and I don't know if she will or not. While I would initially be pissed about, I would be happy she's applying herself and teaching herself how to do things, at least to get an interest in something other than anime. 

I'm presently the only person in the house who knows how to use my desktop for anything other than movie watching. Being she is a creative and artistic type, I'm trying g to get her interested in my endeavors, vinyl cutting, 3d printing, silicone and metal casting. With my know-how and her artistry we could make some really cool stuff, but she's either not interested in it period or not interested in learning it. I'm also still working the bugs out of everything so teaching myself is still problematic. 

Anyway, I'm still trying to work out the network scheduling thing. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/21/20 6:11 p.m.

Locking file cabinet?  Devices go in at a certain time, devices come out at a certain time.   Bonus points if you rig it up with a power strip and some chargers.

Nothing like good ol hardware lockouts for ease of access control.  

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/20 6:44 p.m.

Sorry, I'm old school. Take the device away. Wake up time is 07:00. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/20 7:12 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

Locking file cabinet?  Devices go in at a certain time, devices come out at a certain time.   Bonus points if you rig it up with a power strip and some chargers.

And remove all the other chargers in the house, so that a device that doesn't get "cabinet time" runs out of juice :)

I honestly like the idea of the kid getting around the software. At least then there's learning going on.

When I was a kid, my mom used to unplug the TV. She was the only one who knew how to turn it on, we called it "mommy magic". Worked!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/21/20 7:13 p.m.

Alternative easy button:  Most routers support a guest network.  The guest network usually has time controls.

You use your main network.  Set the password to something your kid(s) don't know.

Setup the guest network for them.  And set hours accordingly.

If you suspect anything, change the passwords.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/21/20 8:33 p.m.

Be lazy. Put her device on a separate router and have that thing shut down manually at a given hour. Lock the other one with a password so she can't just hop wifi signals. Proceed as necessary 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
7/21/20 8:55 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
93gsxturbo said:

And remove all the other chargers in the house, so that a device that doesn't get "cabinet time" runs out of juice :)

I honestly like the idea of the kid getting around the software. At least then there's learning going on.

When I was a kid, my mom used to unplug the TV. She was the only one who knew how to turn it on, we called it "mommy magic". Worked!

Mine did that, so plugged it back in.

Then she cut the cord.  So I stripped it back and twisted the wires together and plugged it back in.

I was probably all of 8 or 10.

My daughter is 4 and she started moving the chair in the dining room to get to the snacks on her own a year or so ago.  She forgot that sound travels though.  Of course she taught her not quite 2-year brother about that as well.  He also discovered all of the unlocked drawers and uncovered outlet that she ignored or left alone.  They will be an incredibly smart and inventive handful for us.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/21/20 9:47 p.m.

Disney Circle (came with our Netgear router) has worked well for us. We subscribe to the $5 monthly service. It's a pain to work through the nuances of the setup and configuration, but it's far better than the alternative of having nothing.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/21/20 9:58 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Be lazy. Put her device on a separate router and have that thing shut down manually at a given hour. Lock the other one with a password so she can't just hop wifi signals. Proceed as necessary 

This is exactly what I suggested just above your post, only no 2nd router needed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/20 8:11 a.m.
Stefan (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:
93gsxturbo said:

Mine did that, so plugged it back in.

Then she cut the cord.  So I stripped it back and twisted the wires together and plugged it back in.

I was probably all of 8 or 10.

My daughter is 4 and she started moving the chair in the dining room to get to the snacks on her own a year or so ago.  She forgot that sound travels though.  Of course she taught her not quite 2-year brother about that as well.  He also discovered all of the unlocked drawers and uncovered outlet that she ignored or left alone.  They will be an incredibly smart and inventive handful for us.

I'd like to point out the the unplugged TV trick was used when I was about 5, not 10 :) And if you're going to cut the cord off the TV, why keep it?

My 7 year old nephew becomes quite the ass when he gets screen time. So his mom "lost" his tablet and there are no more video games at uncle Keith's house. If I was anything like that at 7, I need to go apologize to some people...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8aIelqst7lHJVtm2TdR5G2bs5XCIZIdc7OMlYX9bQku5kzGZhxAL5VSe6ONx07rC