jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
6/26/12 12:22 p.m.

I am trying to buy an android phone off ebay with some specific features I am looking for but with so many models and manufactures I don't know what to look for. I am coming from an iphone but want to make the switch and I would like to get the following features on the android phone.

Would like a GSM phone for Att/T-mobile/etc bluetooth gps front facing camera rear camera that can record 720p video

Any suggestions? I am pretty sure the new samsung galaxy 3 will do all of this but I didn't want to spend $600 on a phone. I am trying to keep this low priced as much as I can anyway.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/26/12 12:42 p.m.

I am on the road and can't be much help but... goto www.phonescoop.com and use the fone finder feature. This will give you all the specs of all the android phones that work with t mobile

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
6/26/12 1:20 p.m.

wow that is awesome thanks for that tip!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
6/26/12 1:28 p.m.

Any android gsm phone will have the bluetooth and GPS. I think you're saying you want a camera on both sides like most tablets have.

I'd cut there search for the bluetooth and GPS because all androids will have them, and concentrate on the camera aspect.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/26/12 1:32 p.m.

My galaxy 2 has those features. I'm on sprint, but there is also a gsm version.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/12 1:33 p.m.

I don't have a smartphone yet, but I am looking at the iPhone pretty seriously. Would you share why you are looking to get rid of yours?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/26/12 1:36 p.m.
bgkast wrote: My galaxy 2 has those features. I'm on sprint, but there is also a gsm version.

+1 to everything he said.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
6/26/12 1:55 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I don't have a smartphone yet, but I am looking at the iPhone pretty seriously. Would you share why you are looking to get rid of yours?

Well I am an apple user, i have a mac and iphone and I like them very much but I am looking for something different. The iphone is really easy to use for first time smart phone users, for example my dad can barley use email on a computer but he wanted email on his phone so we got him an iphone and so far he has been able to use it.

I am just looking to try something different, I don't know if I will fully convert or not but there are a lot of android users out there so I would like to try it out.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/26/12 2:11 p.m.

PADD? Phone Attention Deficit Disorder?

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
6/26/12 2:20 p.m.

Not really I have had my iphone 3gs for around 4 years, had it in an otterbox so it is in perfect condition. I want to get the iphone 5 when it comes out in the fall but just looking to try out an android before i do that.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
6/26/12 9:18 p.m.

In reply to scardeal: That is the best thing about android phones. Im on my 6th one in a year

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/27/12 12:29 a.m.
GVX19 wrote: In reply to scardeal: That is the best thing about android phones. Im on my 6th one in a year

how does someone afford that?... $500+ a pop if you go newest bestest phone out... only get to upgrade every so often...

The0retical
The0retical Reader
6/27/12 9:55 a.m.
donalson wrote:
GVX19 wrote: In reply to scardeal: That is the best thing about android phones. Im on my 6th one in a year
how does someone afford that?... $500+ a pop if you go newest bestest phone out... only get to upgrade every so often...

Buy them off ebay for the price of the upgrade or less used.

FWIW the GNex or Galaxy SII are pretty much the best GSM phones on the market right now and the SII is getting ICS this month. ICS is a huge improvement over Gingerbread in my humble opinion so you'll get a better introduction to Android with it. Also stock ICS is much better than Touchwiz or, god forbid, Motoblur.

I've got an SIII on order. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on it.

pres589
pres589 Dork
6/27/12 12:40 p.m.

I'm bothered that the Android phone that seems to fit my requirements the best is the HTC Status, their "Facebook phone" since I want a real keyboard and a decent touchscreen. The battery life is poor and the keyboard doesn't seem that hot. Meh.

jde
jde Reader
7/3/12 1:13 p.m.

I have one of these collecting dust:

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-panache-brings-mytouch-4g-form-to-cincinnati-bell-20110708/

Used for roughly two months last fall before CinBell cancelled my acct for too much data roaming. Should work for AT&T as CinBell uses them for their coverage outside of Cinci/Dayton.

Might suit your needs short of 720p video...

Drop me a PM if interested.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/3/12 1:23 p.m.
The0retical wrote: I've got an SIII on order. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on it.

I got mine last night. Seems awesome so far.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/3/12 1:51 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I don't have a smartphone yet, but I am looking at the iPhone pretty seriously. Would you share why you are looking to get rid of yours?

because its an iPhone...

srsly...if my iPad wasnt free, I would never use one. Im also on the hunt for an inexpensive Android -

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/3/12 1:53 p.m.
jde wrote: I have one of these collecting dust: http://androidcommunity.com/htc-panache-brings-mytouch-4g-form-to-cincinnati-bell-20110708/ Used for roughly two months last fall before CinBell cancelled my acct for too much data roaming. Should work for AT&T as CinBell uses them for their coverage outside of Cinci/Dayton. Might suit your needs short of 720p video... Drop me a PM if interested.

PM sent, Im interested if the OP passes on your offer

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vJ2mxUiaUH98J7ctC2qon1eghqFEfBFUfGqGyrF10BItzqDnqA2f5GvEwBhyUAM1