CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
12/5/22 12:57 p.m.

I'm considering going to the Indy500 this year because I've always wanted to. I've been to 2 dozen NASCAR Cup races, IndyCar at Pocono a couple times, ALMS, Grand Am, but never the 500. I'm sure some of you have been. What tips do you have? Aside from the race itself, what else should a car nut race fan do that weekend? I definitely want to go to the museum....not sure if there's a least-terrible time to go on race weekend (I assume it will be packed all weekend). I don't really care about parades and that type of thing. I like racecars! All the NASCAR races I've been to have had large areas where unlicensed vendors setup huge tents of merchandise, diecasts, etc. I love looking at that stuff. Are there equivalents at Indy, and if so, where are they? 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/22 7:31 p.m.

If there are other races that day, attend them. Sometimes they do a BMW spec race that is surprisingly fun to watch.  Someone told me they stopped doing additional races on 500 day because spilled fluids can be a headache if they happen prior to a big money-maker event.

Try to get tix off turn 1.  It's a hairpin, and nothing will prepare you for how long they stay on the throttle before braking.  The first time I saw it I thought it was some great big glitch and they were all going to pile up in the grass.  Fascinating.

I only went twice and it was about 15 years ago, but SOOO worth it.  My uncle (before he passed) worked for Tire Rack and he would get us pit passes.  I think I miss the Indy almost as much as I miss him.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/5/22 9:28 p.m.

I've attended 21 Indy 500's.  Go early and be early.  We almost missed the flyover. 

We went this year and paid for the Indy lot ($45) to park.  The last two miles took two hours then there was a people traffic jam inside.  

We pack lunches, bring seat cushions, don't act like idiots and enjoy the 90 Indy 500 traditions.  Prepare to cry.

I haven't had decent seats since 2000 when my dad bought 8 seats for many years.  Being low in the seats sucks. Pay all you can for good seats.  

I was 14 in 1977 and had seats near the start/finish line and when 33 cars came screaming down at speed in the 1st (speed) lap I was instantly hooked.  

We're passing for 2023 cause it's an intense day with travel.  I could talk Indy 500 all day.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/5/22 9:34 p.m.

If you go Saturday morning vendors setup around the outside and you can walk around all night and scream "Indy 500" to 1000 drunk dudes.  

In the early 80's I brought one of those vuvuzela horns and a couple of dozen drunk guys blew the horn.  WTF.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
12/6/22 5:41 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In the early 80's I brought one of those vuvuzela horns and a couple of dozen drunk guys blew the horn.

Not That There'S Anything Wrong With That Seinfeld GIF by ...

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
12/6/22 6:08 a.m.

The 500 is truly a spectacle. You can go for the race, the party, the people watching, or any combo.

The Dallara factory is right across the street and will do some tours. There's a karting place next door too.

Parking will depend on where you're staying, and also where you're sitting. I'd suggest trying to stay, park and sit on the same side of the track. Fighting through the sea of humanity to get to the opposite side of the track is a slog that can be avoided with proper planning. You'll be walking a lot and sitting in traffic no matter what. It's 300k people getting into and out of an area less than 5 sq miles.

I agree that higher seats will tend to be better. If you can get seats on the west side of the front stretch you'll be shaded for a good part of the day which is nice. Bring your big autocross hat and some sunscreen if not. Turn 1 has an incredible view down the length of the front stretch, and then through turn 2. Turn 4 isn't bad either as you can see the end of the back stretch, turn 3, 4 and then down the front straight.

Attending the practices, and smaller track events in the days leading up to the big race will offer you opportunities to experience more of the grounds and get closer to the cars, drivers, etc than you will on race day. It would also be a less crazy time to visit the museum.

Obligatory "How Big Is It?!" picture:

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/6/22 9:46 a.m.

If you are just going to make it a day trip, and are up for a walk, park in the shopping center at 38th and Georgetown and Lafayette, and hike down Georgetown to get to the track.  As long as there is no weird construction going on, when you leave, you'll likely get out of the track and on the highway faster than most people who parked near the track.  This works best if you are going to be in turn 1, turn 4, or the front straight.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/6/22 9:49 a.m.

How's your liver?  Prepare as needed.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qUoLMOVVk9E9xStqWHn96n44V3W3y0fcqHUbJg3sSy90mtGjk2WdWwxGqqPsClJC