einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/24/20 7:50 p.m.

Any if you folks watching the Lost Speedways series by Dale Jr.?  Stumbled upon it this week from a tip by a complete non racing fan, but a guy who digs watching things about abandoned buildings, etc.  Three episodes in, I’m hooked!

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/24/20 8:11 p.m.

What network?

(there are LOTS of them now)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/24/20 8:55 p.m.

Peacock.  NBC streaming service.  I'm waiting for a Canadian service to pick it up.  It sounds really interesting.

Can't think of Dales producer on the download who shares interest in history.  He's deeply involved as well.  Matt...somebody.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/20 8:55 p.m.

Not certain, but I think it's on NBC's new streaming thingy "Peacock"?

einy (Forum Supporter)
7/25/20 5:09 a.m.

Only started watching when I found out that it was free.  They play a commercial now and again, but tbat is fine given the price.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/20 10:34 p.m.

there are a couple near me.  One my father raced at when I was a child, the "Atlantic City speedway" which still had a board track and I do have some memory of being there.  The long straight is now a road to the regional post office.  The other is about 10 miles away and off in the woods.  Amatol Speedway once rivaled Indy, but obviously did not last as long.  Surprisingly, consider it has been abandoned almost 90 years, there is actually more to find than the one my Father raced at that was only torn down 30 some years ago

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/20 11:09 a.m.

I was surprised there were 1380 race tracks from the Mexican border to the Arctic Circle.  blush

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
7/26/20 2:58 p.m.

The Saratoga Auto Museum has been holding a yearly program called "Lost Speedways" for several years.   It is based more locally and is a gathering of old timers with lots of pictures and stuff.   Features a popular racer celebrity speaker.

Fun Day

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/20 3:20 p.m.

There is a guy on youtube that finds them and walks them as well.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
7/26/20 9:58 p.m.

Langley speedway in my own back yard.

Tiny, tiny oval. Allegedly NASCAR ran there a time or two in the 1970s.

A bunch of the local old geezers who remember things better than they actually were are trying to get it re-opened. It will never happen, the track is too small and there was no thought to safety when it was built.

Plus, it's in the middle of a park, surrounded by horsey people.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/20 9:14 a.m.

Jungle Park was a pretty notorious track back in the day, located way out in the middle of nowhere, Indiana(though conveniently near Turkey Run state park).

einy (Forum Supporter)
7/27/20 7:54 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

Jungle Park was a pretty notorious track back in the day, located way out in the middle of nowhere, Indiana(though conveniently near Turkey Run state park).

Interesting write up!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qIjdPw12ewkcDbfV1Oz5uPAZNHTR2NSF9jWqCQxBfqceaoVbG4aK0nuENDMnWuOj