Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/15/19 1:40 p.m.

I have recently had a cardiac bypass performed, and now feel fine.  I've improved my diet, I exercise three times a week, and I try to behave. I also go down the street every ten days or so, to a gas station that has really good Polish sausages, and buy one for lunch. 

After all, it would be racist to discriminate against the Polish.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/15/19 2:15 p.m.

My '69 Olds needs an alignment, therefore it hasn't moved in 18 months. I've accidently become "that guy" people talk about who has the awesome car in the garage that never moves because of something stupid and easily fixed for cheap. It drove fine when I parked it, but now it probably needs a good day of work to wake it back up correctly. I'm ashamed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 2:16 p.m.

Growing up in SW PA, Polack jokes were common. As a young man, I thought it was common knowledge that the Polish were just a bunch of idiots. Once I was in school, my Polish friends let me know what a horrible ethnic stereotype this was. Good thing, I could have wound up with a black eye and had no idea why! 

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
8/15/19 2:28 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Growing up in SW PA, Polack jokes were common. As a young man, I thought it was common knowledge that the Polish were just a bunch of idiots. Once I was in school, my Polish friends let me know what a horrible ethnic stereotype this was. Good thing, I could have wound up with a black eye and had no idea why! 

I was born outside of Pittsburgh and my mom's side is mostly Polish. 

I can see why Polish jokes were/are common.

ronholm
ronholm Dork
8/15/19 2:41 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I have recently had a cardiac bypass performed, and now feel fine.  I've improved my diet, I exercise three times a week, and I try to behave. I also go down the street every ten days or so, to a gas station that has really good Polish sausages, and buy one for lunch. 

After all, it would be racist to discriminate against the Polish.

In a more serious note, I enjoy racing/sailing Hobie catatmarans.  They are a very active boat which require a decent level of physical fitness to sail competently.  There is one sailor who if I am not mistaken is 84 years old who sails Hobie 17 (a singlehanded boat).  If that isn't enough he is only just a few years out from IIRC a double bypass. (a problem solved after much encouragment to seek help after he was running out of energy on the water)  Oh and over the last year he has wrapped up Chemo, but "is still taking the damn pills".  I saw him a couple weekends ago at a Regatta in which he competed, complaining he gets a little tired sooner than he used to. 

I can't imagine what valid  excuse I might have for not getting out and living life in full after seeing that man in action.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/15/19 4:36 p.m.
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 4:50 p.m.

It's too hot. 

That was my last reason for not working on cars. Truth is, the shop has AC. I'm just sick of cars. All of them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/19 5:00 p.m.

I haven't wasehed the FR-S in 6 months because I don't want to wash it wrong and mess up the paint.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
8/15/19 5:08 p.m.

I was gonna run my work van to the smog check today.  At least, that was my plan as of yesterday.

But I worked hard yesterday and today I just don't feel like it.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 5:10 p.m.

I was going to work on my car, but then I got

...distracted

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/15/19 5:19 p.m.

My job cuts into my personal life.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/19 9:06 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I was going to work on my car, but then I got

...distracted

I was gonna be a racing star, but then I got

Now my garage is covered in junk and I know why (why man? Why?) Because I got

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/15/19 9:53 p.m.
slefain said:

My '69 Olds.....

Love me some 98’s and Delta 88’s....

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
8/15/19 10:06 p.m.

I really need to get back on my workout routine or whatever I used to do oh and also eat healthier but it takes self discipline and whoever does that anymore?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/15/19 11:09 p.m.

Probably the smartest woman I ever dated was from Poland.  Got her doctorate in aerospace composites.  Poorly timed attempt at a relationship and she was really argumentative.  I still have a lot of respect for her.

What were we talking about?

Knurled.
8/17/19 8:37 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Probably the smartest woman I ever dated was from Poland.  Got her doctorate in aerospace composites.  Poorly timed attempt at a relationship and she was really argumentative.  I still have a lot of respect for her.

What were we talking about?

I dunno, but it should be pointed out that Germany's Enigma code was broken by Polish mathematicians.

When you're stuck between Germany and Russia, you learn to be very smart, because you have enemies on both sides.  And make good food and potables, because you must enjoy life because you have enemies on both sides.

I think I'm going to pick up some pierogie and sausage for this weekend's Workening.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 9:07 a.m.

There are 8 tires in the shop that need to be mounted and balanced. 

Oh darn. It's raining and I have to sit on the porch and drink coffee instead.

Not necessarily a lousy excuse, but one I'm not unhappy to have. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/17/19 3:53 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Funny; I had a customer come in today with the most Polish last name I’ve ever heard. After he spelled it for me I joked, “Aaaah. Nice I-talian name, huh?” 

“Um. No. Actually, it’s Polish.”

Draw your own conclusions.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/18/19 3:49 a.m.

I've known since before purchase the S-10 needs to have the ECM serviced.  I bought the special paste but the dizzy is right at the back of the engine and I think the screws are rounded off so I'm waiting until I can afford to buy a decent cordless ratchet to make the job less annoying.

Not a problem just that on a hot day you have to wait app. an hour for the bugger to cool off before it starts again which then means I don't drive it.

Well that and the A/C needs a service and the wipers have never worked. 

Bills to get caught up on first. indecision

edit:  Actually browsing the 'free' section of CL so maybe not a bad thing I won't trust it to be a pain to drive somewhere.

Oh yeah the parking cable broke and it's a cheap replacement but I feel that might be a more tricky job.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/18/19 9:59 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

There are 8 tires in the shop that need to be mounted and balanced. 

Oh darn. It's raining and I have to sit on the porch and drink coffee instead.

Not necessarily a lousy excuse, but one I'm not unhappy to have. 

I have half a (large) deck that needs finished recovering. I don't mind working in light rain but lightning is a no go. So I'm in the exact same boat as you currently.

Knurled.
8/18/19 10:18 a.m.
poopshovel again said:
pinchvalve said:

Funny; I had a customer come in today with the most Polish last name I’ve ever heard. After he spelled it for me I joked, “Aaaah. Nice I-talian name, huh?” 

“Um. No. Actually, it’s Polish.”

Draw your own conclusions.

Grandma's maiden name was Clawczinski, and I know I spelled that entirely wrong because I only saw it written once when I was like three and I am guessing based on how it was pronounced.  (The W might have been transliterated to an F when her family immigrated)  Grandpa liked to tell "Polish jokes", she'd laugh.

As my employer (also a -ski) likes to joke that Polish names end in "ski" because they couldn't spell "toboggan".

OTOH we're from Cleveland, we have thick skin.  If you can't joke about yourself then you can't have fun at all.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/18/19 10:31 a.m.

My old room-mate is Polish-Italian.  A mutual acquaintance of a time past made the mistake of call Poles dirty ( although he let it slide.)

She was born and raised to full adult hood in Sweden.  Pretty certain she meant it too. surprise

Knurled.
8/18/19 10:36 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

My old room-mate is Polish-Italian. 

Oh gawd.  That reminds me of a little paperback that I inherited from my grandfather.  It was a double front cover book.  One half of the book was Polish jokes that will make you laugh (even if you're Polish) and flip it over and the other half was Italian jokes that will make you laugh (especially if you are Italian).

There is absolutely no way this book could be published today.  People whine too much.

edit:  Because Internet, found a copy of the book online.  Buying it now because nostalgia.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/19 11:04 a.m.
MrSmokey said:

I really need to get back on my workout routine or whatever I used to do oh and also eat healthier but it takes self discipline and whoever does that anymore?

I wish I could get into a routine. My work schedule changes so much from day to day I never get a chance to get into any sort of routine. Friday I was 5am till midnight, yesterday I was 7am till 3pm, today I am 3pm till out, tomorrow I am 11 to 7, and tuesday I am 6am till 3am. How am I supposed to do anything but work on that kind of a schedule?

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/18/19 11:15 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

you sort of can you sort of can't.  Doing rideshare allows me to take care of E36 M3 on my own time but it means missing out on peak hours sometimes which means taking the whole day because of the 12hr on/6hr off limits impinging on the next days peak hours. indecision

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7WXiRwZrmIINdy9MteBeofPECtfBl8TJZD8jelryPYG5Yn2iFjA9am33N3ZkpjMe