1 2
dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/16/18 9:24 p.m.

Since finding out I have gout 5 weeks ago and dealing with all the associated pain as my body cleans out thanks yo medicines, I'm on a low Purine diet. Pretty much rules out bacon, veal, steak etc. We have been eating alot of chicken but as someone who grew up eating mostly hamburger based meals I'm having trouble figuring out meals that use less then 6 ounces of meat for a serving. Primarily chicken based recipes. Basically just looking for ideas of new things to try, no mushroom or cream of mushroom soup based meals.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/16/18 9:32 p.m.

Is fish off of the menu?  All pork or just bacon due to nitrates, etc?

I have always liked Chicken Piccata, but some folks hate capers...

Linky

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/16/18 9:57 p.m.

Also try to take out certain veggies, and alcohol. Cauliflower is real bad for it. 

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/16/18 10:38 p.m.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese.  Black bean enchilada's.  Pho with tofu.  Stir fry with all kinds of veggies.  You can make these tin foil packets, with white fish and olives and salsa, and do them under the broiler.  

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/16/18 10:42 p.m.

Eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs.

I love me some eggs. In just about anything.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/16/18 10:53 p.m.

Avocados have a lot of protein in them and can be used in the place of meat

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/16/18 10:58 p.m.

Fried rice, chicken tacos, eggplant parmesan, Turkey burgers, homemade chicken soup, buffalo chicken pasta, pulled chicken with bbq sauce, as long as you flavor appropriately most any ground beef recipe can use ground chicken.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/18 4:35 a.m.
Robbie said:

Eggs eggs eggs eggs eggs.

I love me some eggs. In just about anything.

Hungarian Lecso:  https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/82651/hungarian-lecso-ii/

if in doubt, add more eggs.  personally i almost use double the eggs and paprika...

(pronounced "lecho")

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/17/18 7:46 a.m.

If you use minute rice, you're doing yourself a disservice. Buy some good Jasmine rice or something. I'll eat a lot of it with just a bit of salt.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
4/17/18 7:47 a.m.

We generally don't do "typical" meals in the sense of a slab of meat, a starch, and veggies.  Usually what we do instead is mix them all together.  Thus, you can spread a pound of meat out over 5 or 6 servings, which means about 3 ounces of meat per serving, about half of what you'd mentioned.  You still get a good meaty flavor and texture, you just don't get that big slab o meat on the plate.  

One recipe we love currently is Shakshuka, basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce.  You can add any sort of meat to it you like, or just make it vegetarian.  Last week I sauteed up some chicken thighs in onions and put them in it- it was a real hit.  

Sometimes we'll brown up some meat in the beginning of the week and then sort of sprinkle it into whatever dish we're making, for flavor.  Makes it easy.  

We get this sausage from the Amish...crumble/ brown it up, and add it to some olive oil, garlic, your favorite greens, and white beans.  Add as much hot pepper as you care for.  Serve over pasta.  Greens n' Beans we call it, old Italian-American recipe we default to when we need dinner in like 20 minutes (basically, as long as it takes to make pasta).  Or 10 minutes, if we have leftover pasta in the fridge.  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/17/18 8:09 a.m.

Quesadillas.

Stir fries that are primarily a veggie dish with some meat added.

Pasta dishes also work pretty well for something you can add a pinch of meat to.

Stuffed peppers - you can do a mix of meat, rice, and lentils instead of the usual meat and rice mix, to dilute the meat as needed.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/18 8:44 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I have been making shakshuka recently a lot. I love it!

I made green chili chicken tortilla soup last night, and I got really close to poaching some eggs into it...

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
4/17/18 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Do EET!  :-D

We have our own chickens, and now that the weather is getting better we have to get creative to come up with ways to eat all the eggs.  Shakshuka fills the bill nicely.  We also usually do an omelet night.

Was watching some cooking show the other day and they were making a southern fish stew.  The last thing they did was poach eggs on top of the stew.  Looked really good.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/17/18 8:50 a.m.

I can't find it anymore (I think the ex has it) but I used to have an amazing vegetarian chili recipe that essentially traded the meat for chickpeas that was outstanding. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
4/17/18 9:01 a.m.

I switched to Turkey burger, its good change of pace if you like Burritos, Chili, stuff peppers ect..

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/17/18 9:14 a.m.

All kinds of curry's that can be made without meat.  Easy to do in a crock pot.  Probably my favorite way to make cauliflower is to throw it in a korma with other veg and let it go for 3 or 4 hours.  

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/17/18 9:29 a.m.

Vegetarian Indian (dot) food.  No meat.  Veggie burgers. Pastas without meat.  There's lots of things to do.  I haven't had any meat (which includes chicken and fish) in about 30 years. 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
4/17/18 9:38 a.m.

If you have an Asian market near you and you're an adventurous eater, canned jackfruit (in brine not syrup) is a good meat alternative for recipes calling for pulled meat.  I did a chili recipe with it recently and it was pretty tasty.  I plan to try it in BBQ sauce next.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
4/17/18 10:39 a.m.

Thanks for the different ideas, I'm already alcohol and soda free so I have a decent start. Really like the idea of rice and pasta over potatoes. I have been eating alot of eggs and peanut butter for proteins. 

chuckles
chuckles Dork
4/17/18 10:46 a.m.

Almond butter is even better for you than peanut butter, so I hear.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/18 11:28 a.m.

SWMBO and I try to limit our intake of red meat these days and do fish or shrimp at least 2-3 days a week. Some of our favorite recipes are shrimp bruschetta pasta - pretty much shrimp, diced tomatoes, and onions sauteed and served over pasta with an olive oil and balsamic vinegar sauce - and a wasabi lime sauce. The latter we'll have either over salmon, with steamed broccoli and rice as sides, or on top of a shrimp/broccoli stir fry type thing over rice. Either way is great, and, if you're suffering from a cold or allergies, will clear your sinuses right out if you go heavy enough on the wasabi cheeky

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/17/18 3:44 p.m.

Good pasta with a nice sauce or pesto and bread and salad.  Who needs meat?  Lots of variations of stir-fry served over rice that can be just veggies or veggies with a little meat.

For lunch, I'll often make a big salad, complete with eggs and cheese, and maybe some leftover chicken.  It's a meal.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/17/18 4:34 p.m.

Another option if you have the sort of craving only a steak will cure - a small steak, plus a ginormous portobello mushroom on top, and some sauted onions.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
4/17/18 4:37 p.m.

That's one of my cheap goto meals; spag, or preferably angle hair, pesto with added lemon juice and hard cheese, and whatever vegetables sound good that day / what I have on hand. 

Breakfasts for a while now are often a cheese stick, a small granola bar (90 to 100 calorie job) and either an apple or a banana.  Fast to grab and eat on the run or at my desk.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/17/18 4:49 p.m.

I'll share some of my favorite recipies. There's not gonna be any flesh other than seafood. 

Tasty pasta (language warning)

Shrimp etouffee. Better hope your roux game is strong.

Eggs in purgatory. High quality tomato puree required.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yQ152LDClr5SvsvfUfpJhPMcaW3iuv3KAS7lhQ3PgDIv2p3pbBR9DWCGpOPkEtDI