1 2
SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer New Reader
2/4/10 8:20 p.m.

I was looming thru CL for a sub $3000 truck and found a Duce and a 1/2 in my area. Now if I can convince my wife its a good idea, would it be a good idea?. I'm not looking to use it as a DD, just basic hauling / towing.

Thanks

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
2/4/10 8:24 p.m.

I've always wanted one. There's a guy at the Rolex every year that camps in the back of his.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/4/10 8:32 p.m.

http://www.100dollarman.com/trucks.html

:)

davidjs
davidjs New Reader
2/4/10 9:01 p.m.

I'm pretty sure they have a top speed of 55 mph max... Might not be great for highway towing...

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
2/4/10 9:12 p.m.

Yup, sure make good Rolex 24 accessories.

Holds many kegs and peoples.

I do believe they have that top speed problem though.

Last note is 6WD is pretty tough to get stuck with.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/4/10 9:15 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: http://www.100dollarman.com/trucks.html :)

Bobbed deuce....LOVE!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/10 9:15 p.m.
SillyImportRacer wrote: I was looming thru CL for a sub $3000 truck and found a Duce and a 1/2 in my area. Now if I can convince my wife its a good idea, would it be a good idea?

No, that would be a freakin great idea.

e23inGB
e23inGB
2/4/10 9:21 p.m.

Remember, its big, parts are big and heavy. Maintenance is a constant requirement. Max speed 50 mph, without a trailer. Braking, well hope like hell no one is in front of you for a few hundred feet. Loud, have to wear ear protection. Licensing requirement, check with your state, depending on licensing requirements you may not be able to tow anything. I think there might be a better selection out there for your tow vehicle than an ex military 2 1/2 ton truck. My two cents worth, oh but the way, I owned one..

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/10 12:50 a.m.

Thanks, thats about what I was going to spend when I replace the Cavalier. I wonder if it will fit in the parking garage.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
2/5/10 1:09 a.m.

I've always wanted an original curved-cab Power Wagon. Tow vehicle or not.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/10 7:29 a.m.
davidjs wrote: I'm pretty sure they have a top speed of 55 mph max... Might not be great for highway towing...

That's with the stock 38" tires. Put 44" tires on it and you get another 15% (10mph or so) out of it. Plus 100% more awesomeness.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/10 7:31 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Bobbed deuce....LOVE!

+1

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/10 7:31 a.m.
Wally wrote:
Thanks, thats about what I was going to spend when I replace the Cavalier. I wonder if it will fit in the parking garage.

It might take some effort the first time. Every time after that should be fine...

Of note - they do have soft tops and fold down windshields. The same things that let them be packed tighter into transport ships lets them fit better in parking garages.

DrBoost
DrBoost Dork
2/5/10 7:32 a.m.

Swap in a cummins I-6 and you'll be in business.

RossD
RossD Dork
2/5/10 7:34 a.m.

Want parts? Check Boyce's website (the link provided) and see how it compares to their prices. If anything you could flip it at that low price.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/5/10 7:40 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Bobbed deuce....LOVE!

OK, that thing is made of the highest-grade pwnage I've seen in quite some time.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/10 7:42 a.m.

M715 for me please -

It's sort of tempting to get the ambulance body version of the 715 and make the worlds coolest 4x4 RV.

Brotus7
Brotus7 New Reader
2/5/10 7:47 a.m.

I'm in the guard and I've spent a lot of time driving and wrenching on these (I'm a diesel tech). They are fun to drive; I actually prefer driving them compared to the bigger trucks. However, they are beastly. No power steering. Brakes are marginal. Poor heat. Terrible mileage. Vibrates E36 M3 loose. Parts can be expensive unless you have a parts truck. Sitting kills tires.

The plus side is that they're simple, and will have relatively low mileage for the drivetrain. It will always start, and it shifts surprisingly quick.

I've never had to tow with one, but I can't imagine it would be great since it's so slow to begin with. Pintle hook only unless you fab up some other hitch.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
2/5/10 8:36 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: M715 for me please - It's sort of tempting to get the ambulance body version of the 715 and make the worlds coolest 4x4 RV.

I know a guy who swapped a Cummins 4BT into one of those... It is a beast. Makes a Hummer H1 look like a Miata...

I love the idea of a 2 1/2... but as a toy, not as soemthing useful. It will pass nothing except a gas station... For long distance trips, the trailer you pull will be for fuel.... Even swapping in a I-6 Cummins will only get you so much as that will not change the fact it is a big heavy truck with very low gearing.

WilD
WilD Reader
2/5/10 8:53 a.m.

My father bought a deuce last year. It is in fact a beast, almost more tractor than truck. The thing is BIG, loud, slow, and did I metion BIG? The bed is so tall that loading anything into it by hand is a joke.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
2/5/10 10:04 a.m.

For a more practical but equally Rambo-riffic tow solution, check out a M1010 CUCV. Basically a Blazer or work-bodied pickup with a honking diesel.

Of course swapping to a Cummins or other modern diesel would increase the awsome.

But what I really want (no practical purpose, just an itch.) is one of these...an M422-A1 Mighty Mite. I have no idea what the engine is from or if it's worth keeping. It's like a Manx with a bad attitude and gun mounts.

Want more? http://www.armyjeeps.net/vehicle1.htm

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/10 10:09 a.m.

anyone of those would surely piss off a lot of people in the work parking lot

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/5/10 10:35 a.m.

My idea would be to get a late model 1-ton diesel 4x4 at an insurance auction, and swap all of the late model goodness into the M715.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/10 2:27 p.m.

The fire department that I work for used to have a pair of M37 soft tops that were used as brush trucks. Both were sold fairly cheap, but I had no space. I always wondered what one would be like with a set of highway friendly gears and tires.

64chrysler300
64chrysler300 New Reader
2/5/10 2:46 p.m.
Woody wrote: The fire department that I work for used to have a pair of M37 soft tops that were used as brush trucks. Both were sold fairly cheap, but I had no space. I always wondered what one would be like with a set of highway friendly gears and tires.

My '52 rode quite well. 45 MPH top speed means you don't go anywhere quick! A V-8 conversion and disk brakes makes for a nice daily driver.

Also drove a Deuce a few times....despite lack of power steering, it steered pretty easy (especially after a grease job!) Shifted nice too. Small cars are hard to see sometimes....that crunching noise might be one that got a case of the stupids.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z40YcODks8GGH6pkmWjHLG5yvmRsiof4WrGuKxrzW1sX8iRLkRm3OStaLJy2K2ZR