Jay
Jay HalfDork
6/25/08 9:15 a.m.

So I just watched this last night, for the first time ever. All I can say is - ouch! Jump the shark much? I like the first two pretty well but what the hell were they thinking? The opening scenes were pretty cool (where Max gets robbed crossing the desert by camel train), but everything after that - "Master Blaster", the thunderdome scene, the pigs, Max being mistaken for the second coming and leading all those kids to the promised land... Geez. The whole thing left me chewing on my tongue and thinking "whut?"

I guess there's no real point me panning a movie that came out in 1986 but I just had to rant. It had so much potential after Road Warrior but then this is what they gave us. Weak sauce.

J

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
6/25/08 9:32 a.m.

Yes.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/25/08 9:38 a.m.

[Alcoholics Anonymous] 'Hi my name is Jensenman and I own a copy of Thunderdome and I agree completely, it suxxors. Only reason I own it is so I'll have the trilogy. ' [/Alcoholics Anonymous]

EDIT: I dug out my copy of The Road Warrior Sat. night and once again marveled at the things accomplished with the huge bulky cameras of the era. Some of the tanker chase scenes are just flat amazing.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/25/08 10:25 a.m.

+1 with Jensenman.

I watch the first two and leave the 3rd for punks.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/25/08 10:28 a.m.

Ya, the only cool thing about that movie was theTransavia Airtruck:

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
6/25/08 12:17 p.m.

You guys don't like the cars/trucks/rolling jungle gyms from the final chase scene?

Hell I bet Al Gore loves the movie. Everything runs on alternative energy! It's a green future.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
6/25/08 1:31 p.m.

Blah, blah.blah.blah.

Tina Turner in a push up bra. .

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/25/08 2:35 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Blah, blah.blah.blah. Tina Turner in a push up bra. .

You bring up a good point there, Dan. Definitely nice viewing.

It still didn't save the movie. I mean, Max is not supposed to be a sympathetic character. I like the Road Warrior version of Max the best; like his feeding himself and the dog before he fed the gyro pilot. Or 'I'm only here for the gasoline'. Heck, Auntie Calamity was meaner than Max in Thunderdome.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
6/25/08 3:20 p.m.

Yeah, agree with everyone else. When I first saw this movie, in a theatre no less, I thought "WTF...did the writers go on strike 15 minutes into the movie?"

I believe Mel Gibson was an (executive) producer of the Thunderdome movie, so maybe it was one of those cases of thinking there was life left in a rotting corpse.

btp76
btp76
6/25/08 4:14 p.m.

1st two - great. Hell I just named my dog Sproggo...

Thunderdome is awful. No to start on politics but I can't see McCain speak without thinking of him saying "Who run Bartertown?" "Embargo lifted"...

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
6/25/08 5:17 p.m.

I don't really remember seeing it for the first time....it was at a Drive-in with a girl named Carole....I vaguely remember a bra...and something about God.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/25/08 7:42 p.m.

Mad Max = low budget movie that made a fortune, like a certain early 70s movie with a '73 Mustang.

Road Warrior = what Mad Max may have been had the Doc been given a stuido budget. A good movie save for the undercranked film in too many scenes.

Thunderdome = what happens when studios with money get involved. Kind of like a certain 90s movie with a absurd Shelby-ized Mustang and Angelina Jolie.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kX8UtPs9OWGby9TKkMul4jSzBpFV9kYzpD8ebm9pRVOgZIbqt6WJRb2SebjzQZDv