bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/21/08 12:46 p.m.

We'll be buying a new (at the very least gently used) car in the next month or two, and we're replacing a Volvo 245. We're huge hatchback fans, and we really need something that gets at least 25-30 mpg on average. Right now my short list is:

if new, < $15k - 08 or 09 Honda Fit

if used, < $12k - 02-05 Civic Si, Mini Cooper (too expensive prob), Honda Fit, Scion Xb

Being that I'm in Michigan, I keep seeing the Malibu Maxx pop up for sale, and it's much cheaper than I would expect. Like $8k or less for one with ~50k miles. Now, it's a bigger car than the others we're shopping, which means gas mileage will be a bit worse, but it'd be a better Volvo. Unfortunately it wasn't available with manual shift, but for this price, what the heck. I remember really liking it when the in-laws were shopping for a new car a few years back.

Am I stupid for considering this car, or would I be dumb not to consider it? Any insight?

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/21/08 1:00 p.m.

I had a regular Malibu of that generation as a rental one time. It was a black car in Laredo Texas and the A/C would turn it into fridge within 5 minutes of starting the car after it had sat all day in the sun. OTher than that, it drove like a Camry (and I mean that in both a good and a bad way). Seems like a great commuter with a ton of utility.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/21/08 1:04 p.m.

We're also considering the Pontiac Vibe and Focus ZX5...

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
7/21/08 1:08 p.m.

My moms 4 cylinder 06 Malibu gets an average of 29 mpg, and she isnt on the highway all that much. On highway trips we average well over 30. Its not a Maxx, but I cant imagine things would be all that different, except with the V6 option.

Joey

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
7/21/08 1:17 p.m.

I had a 2004 V6 regular Malibu as a company car. I put about 15,000 miles over a 6 month time span. I was not sad to see it replaced with a Fusion.

The V6 had more than enough power. Handling was sub-par in my opinion whereas I loved handling and feel of the Fusion. My biggest complaint was that I could not find a comfortable seating position. I do however have odd tastes in seating position despite being average sized. (5'10 / 175) The rest of the office didn't seem to have a problem with the seating.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/21/08 1:23 p.m.

I had one as rental once... Here's the rundown in SAT format... Malibu maxx is to car as generic is to benign

It was a good car, nothing about it was really bad... nothing about it was really good.

suprf1y
suprf1y New Reader
7/21/08 4:17 p.m.

My buddy replaced his Impreza RS with a Maxx, and he loves it. It gets virtually identical fuel mileage, according to him.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/21/08 6:33 p.m.

A local wholesale dealer had one on the lot/website that looked pretty good. The miles/year were decent and the asking price wasn't too bad a place to start the bargaining. After looking at it for a day or two I decided to see what Edmunds.com had to say about the Maxx. It actually got pretty decent reviews by current and former owners. Like you, I was attracted to the hatchback in a midsized sedan body. That car didn't last tho, as someone snapped it up before I got to the lot. While the current Malibu is a dynamite car, it's too bad some GM division couldn't keep this idea in their lineup.

The worst thing you can get anyone to say about the Maxx? Could use better steering. It's better than a Camry but worse than a Fusion.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/21/08 8:27 p.m.

Yeah. Really, right now it's Malibu vs. Fit in my mind.

I've been a Honda guy for a long time now, and I still believe in the Fit, but it's hard to say no to what is essentially a really nice car that has been driven down in value only because 1) it's domestic, and 2) it's not the flavor of the moment high-mpg beastie. People are offloading these for dirt cheap!

Wife says we can probably afford either, though I'm leaning towards the Malibu at the moment, cheap bastard I am. I only wish it came with a nav system.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/21/08 8:31 p.m.

how long do you plan on keeping it? and how much interior and exterior squeaking(falling apart) can you stand during that time period.

If you can answer that.. You'll have your answer.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/08 8:45 p.m.

just a shame the malibu got the hatch that saab seems to have lost

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/21/08 8:45 p.m.

Well I'm sure we'll keep it a while, 5-6 years at the least. We're planning on having a kid in that span, but I'm sure either would be ok for that.

Rattles and squeaks? Well, I drive an old civic hatch, and before that a CRX. You think it would be different between the two? I've found Hondas squeak as much as anything.

minimac
minimac Dork
7/22/08 8:48 a.m.

Until GM can figure out how to put a comfortable seat in a car, without having to pay a premium, I'd stick to the Hon-duh. Besides, if you keep it 5-6 years, you can still get something for the Honda.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/22/08 11:50 a.m.
minimac wrote: Until GM can figure out how to put a comfortable seat in a car, without having to pay a premium, I'd stick to the Hon-duh. Besides, if you keep it 5-6 years, you can still get something for the Honda.

The Malibu/G6 seats are damn good seats. They are the same basic framework as the Saab 9-3 and Opel Vectra, owing to the fact that they all share the same platform. I actually look for a Malibu or G6 when I rent cars, as the seats are better than most of anyone's rental car fleets.

I have an 06 Malibu 4 door, 4 cylinder (someone elses former company car). I was expecting an appliance, but have been very pleasantly surprised.

Good, solid basic transportation. It handles OK and gets 29+ MPG in mixed use and I've seen over 35 for extended highway driving.

Jack

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/22/08 12:03 p.m.

IIRC, the maxx was a Saab with a redone body and the Honda 3.5l V6. I used to get some industry insider type mags from my days in auto tech.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/22/08 12:31 p.m.

one thing I can say about the maxx I drove was with those cheap generals or tiger paws on there and the trac control off, it would sure make do a one wheel peel.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/22/08 6:06 p.m.

I've spent some time in a rental Maxx. Not bad, not sure I could live with it long term, though, and some of the interior fittings are very cheap feeling. If the one you look at has that rear seat moon roof, check out the sliding sun screens. If those are representative of the overall build quality, I say its frightening. Kind of boring looking but for a transportation device it is very practical.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
7/22/08 8:17 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: IIRC, the maxx was a Saab with a redone body and the Honda 3.5l V6. I used to get some industry insider type mags from my days in auto tech.

The Vue had the Honda engine but the Maxx never did.

I've driven a couple Malibus and they're not bad considering how cheap you can get them. The one thing that absolutely killed it for me was the size of the steering wheel (on all GM cars for that matter) and more importantly, the actual steering itself. No connection whatsoever.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/22/08 8:44 p.m.

Actually the Vue would be in our search, but that's what the in-laws settled on and Holly couldn't bear driving the same thing.

Also, it seems I underestimated the Malibu prices here - decent ones are available at around $10k on average, which tilts the decision towards the Fit.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/22/08 9:16 p.m.

The Malibu MAXX is on my short list. Not at the top, because there's no MTX available, but I guess I could own one automatic in my lifetime....

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/23/08 12:39 p.m.

I drove one once, the OE tires in combination with the built in understeer made it perhaps the worst understeering car I've ever driven. It was ridiculous. I'm sure it's fairly easy to remedy with better tires and perhaps some anti-sway bar changes, but holy cow was it horrible in stock trim. I didn't even pay attention to the rest of the car because that was so bad, the car wasn't really my bag I just happened to be driving it.

Bryce

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/23/08 12:43 p.m.

I believe the OE tires are made from left over Wendy's trays...

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/23/08 12:58 p.m.

I keep reading the title of this thread as Mad Max and keep getting disappointed. /threadjack

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qqlj8ffHpTZiJQLTHDRnIvNYxAPSaB4Krs5o5WqPxCrAxP9oEkOLvhVKqkegz6ki