jpod999
jpod999 Reader
10/22/09 12:55 a.m.

Anyone else watch this show? Anyone actually been to any of the restaurants he goes to, or better yet, tried the challenges?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/09 1:49 a.m.

I had better hopes when I opened this thread. Thought it would be one of those "eat or get eaten" things

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/09 3:24 a.m.

My roommates and I love that show. I've never been to any of the places he talks about though.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/22/09 5:38 a.m.

Not crazy about the show only because there are too many overweight people here (in the US) and this guy promotes supergorging?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/22/09 8:06 a.m.

I think it's funny sometimes. The episode where he's eating the super spicy curry was great. (So spicy the chef has to wear a gas mask.)

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/22/09 8:42 a.m.

Tabasco rates a 2500 - 5000 on the Scoville Scale. There's stuff out there fetching 16 million!

And getting it down's the easy part, wait 18 hours.

http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
10/22/09 9:03 a.m.

The g/f and I watch it, but I do have to agree that it's trainwreckian when you consider we're paying to watch a guy eat as much as he possibly can and there's starving people probably within 10 miles of wherever he is anytime he's gorging himself.

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
10/22/09 9:42 a.m.

In reply to jpod999:

Haven't tried the challenges, but I've been to a few of the restaurants he's been to.

5-8 in Minneapolis Acme & Mothers in New Orleans Ginos East in Chicago

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
10/22/09 6:19 p.m.

No Reservations is where it's at. Like with Top Gear, other shows in the category just aren't worth watching.

Josh
Josh HalfDork
10/22/09 8:06 p.m.

I also like Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, and I like that they are changing the name to Bizarre World for next season. Evidently the show is going to focus less on Zimmern eating bugs and more on the culture and customs of the places they visit.

alex
alex Dork
10/22/09 9:41 p.m.

He came to St. Louis, and I think I've been to all the restaurants he visited here. Iron Barley is fantastic, Pappy smokehouse is so-so (I'm a barbecue snob), and Crown Candy has some of the best malts and shakes on Earth. The challenge for the episode was five (or six?) shakes at Crown Candy in 30 minutes (or an hour?), and it kicked his ass. He didn't pull it off, and then he went outside to puke in the street.

I can't say I blame him. Those shakes have got to be a full quart. I can't finish one, and I'm by no means an light eater.

But yeah, No Reservations is where it's at. Tony Bourdain is easily in my top 5 food writers, and he's pushing for top 20 overall.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/23/09 9:16 a.m.

I'll watch Man Vs. Food, but if it's a food show, and it doesn't have Gordon Ramsey in it, i'm not REAL interested.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/23/09 9:21 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: No Reservations is where it's at. Like with Top Gear, other shows in the category just aren't worth watching.

Amen.

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
10/23/09 10:28 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: No Reservations is where it's at. Like with Top Gear, other shows in the category just aren't worth watching.

they cater to different crowds, but I agree that if I had to choose between the two, it would be No Reservations.

No Reservations is a travel show that happens to have food in it, Man v Food is a food travel show. Kinda like Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, with an eating competition angle added to it.

jpod999
jpod999 Reader
10/23/09 10:46 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: I'll watch Man Vs. Food, but if it's a food show, and it doesn't have Gordon Ramsey in it, i'm not REAL interested.

I'm totally with you on that one. I feel sorry for the people who don't have BBCA and can't wait the British episodes of Kitchen Nightmares or F Word, F Word is another one of my favorite shows.

Vigo
Vigo New Reader
10/23/09 10:49 a.m.
Anyone actually been to any of the restaurants he goes to, or better yet, tried the challenges?

He went to Big Lou's in San Antonio and ate a 42-inch pizza. Ive been there plenty.. my brother is the long-haired guy carrying the pizza around. He works there.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/23/09 11:09 a.m.
jpod999 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: I'll watch Man Vs. Food, but if it's a food show, and it doesn't have Gordon Ramsey in it, i'm not REAL interested.
I'm totally with you on that one. I feel sorry for the people who don't have BBCA and can't wait the British episodes of Kitchen Nightmares or F Word, F Word is another one of my favorite shows.

Oh yeah... he's BRUTAL on the British episodes. So entertaining.

And the F Word is awesome. I've tried a couple of the recipes that he runs through. They've all been amazing.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
10/23/09 11:25 a.m.
captain_napalm wrote: Kinda like Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, with an eating competition angle added to it.

And with a significantly less annoying host. The guy on MvF (Adam?) seems like he'd be pretty cool to hang out with. Given more than five minutes with Guy Fieri, I'm pretty sure I'd end up wanting to shove his head in a toilet and give him a swirly

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/23/09 4:29 p.m.

My 76 y/o parents watch the food channel a lot! They tape shows (they never go any where). They don't like Bourdain because he drinks too much, smokes and doesn't give a lot of food information.

Someday when they die we will go through their stuff and find a closet full of unwatched FoodChannel DVDs and 40 years worth of unopened Christmas presents.

Bourdain hates Rachael Ray by the way.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
10/23/09 5:30 p.m.

MvF is awesome. I'm going to Sarasota to try out the couple of places he went. No I am not doing the wings challenge. I tried the blazin' wings challenge at Buffalo Wild Wings. The second half of that challenge burned as well, just at an opposite end.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
10/23/09 7:02 p.m.

My wife thinks that Adam Richman is her second cousin. Her dad has a great-nephew named Adam Richman who was born in Brooklyn on the same day as Adam's bio states.

SirCharles
SirCharles New Reader
10/27/09 12:51 p.m.

I watch this show every week. I often think how he feels the day after a challenge?

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
10/27/09 1:01 p.m.
914Driver wrote: They don't like Bourdain because he drinks too much, smokes and doesn't give a lot of food information.

Almost a word-for-word description of why I think he may well have the best job in the world.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/27/09 1:33 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: MvF is awesome. I'm going to Sarasota to try out the couple of places he went. No I am not doing the wings challenge. I tried the blazin' wings challenge at Buffalo Wild Wings. The second half of that challenge burned as well, just at an opposite end.

I'm on the wall of 3 of the local BDubs for that challenge. Too easy. After growing up 2 hours from Buffalo, hot wings aren't hot anymore.

I've been known to down 24 Blazin' wings at Bdubs in one sitting. Washed down with copious Long Islands. Strange mix, i know. But it's tasty.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UH8FovLS2rOxmvfBRB9UYIPSkb0ASqQgSV1A00RyJaa1eqOrSMcPOo3dWjdXU9Jm