1 2 3 4
solfly
solfly Dork
2/28/21 6:31 p.m.

Have we decided on March's model contest? March starts tomorrow and I've missed out on the last couple cause I could find/decide on stuff soon enough. Love to get in on this one before spring when sports and real vehicles take up all my time.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
2/28/21 6:36 p.m.

I think the talk was about a Sebring theme.

I'm out; I have no other race cars and haven't found much that interests me. I have two stock builds currently waiting in line and really should build one before I buy any more kits.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 6:45 p.m.

Maybe March should be spring cleaning where we finish the stuff we have waiting 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/21 7:21 p.m.

In the February thread we decided on Sebring as the theme for March. Some of us are doing a sub group of Corvette racecars as well.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 8:12 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Maybe March should be spring cleaning where we finish the stuff we have waiting 

Can we procrastinate and spring clean in April?

Claff
Claff Reader
2/28/21 8:14 p.m.

Sitting March out, traveling the next three weekends and have some fun parts for the 1:1 car en route.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
2/28/21 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I probably will lol

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
2/28/21 11:49 p.m.

Every month for the next 5 years could be spring cleaning and I still wouldn't get caught up probably. laugh

Onwards to Sebring!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/1/21 9:26 a.m.

I have 3 Sebring eligible Corvette kits. Not going to do that.....This I have a kit for too, and I have no Lola cars on my shelf. Second photo is not from Sebring, but is the newest photo of chassis #3, and shows the color best.  Only 3 races after Sebringcrying

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/1/21 9:43 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I believe it's a early 60s Cadillac color. I have a book on Grand Sport Corvettes that mentions all Mecom's cars were painted the same color at that time. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
3/1/21 10:55 a.m.

Here we go...an unloved experimental car that failed, was rebuilt for a different goal, won a race and then got cut up and buried. Big Ed.

First cut is the deepest?

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
3/2/21 2:50 p.m.

First resin piece fitted: left side door. I wouldn't say I did a perfect job of getting it to fit, but it looks okay from most angles. Still need to smooth and sand it some more in some spots. Then I'll move on to the right side door. After that, the windshield cowl will have to be marked and cut out for the resin replacement piece to go in, because the windshield has a different curvature to it. That should shore up the gap near the front of the door as well.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
3/2/21 5:34 p.m.

I'm probably out this month... have nothing to fit the theme, and it's too late to get anything coming. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
3/2/21 6:54 p.m.

So who is going to assemble one of these?

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/2/21 6:55 p.m.

Doing some preliminary painting on the Tamiya AMG GT3. Painting the body will be time-consuming, but the rest should go pretty fast. Building these newer Tamiya kits are like putting Legos together. If they'd produce a Huracan GT3 and an NSX GT3, I'd die happy.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/2/21 6:59 p.m.

The box the Lola came in and most of the parts as they came out of the mold release cleaning bath in the photos. I found the receipt from buying the kit, I had tucked it into the box. Paid $14.99 at Sky Hobbies in South Daytona in 1990. This is the old IMC mold that Union acquired. They wrote new instructions for it, written by someone who was building from the worn mold. Very good job on that, even with precious little English. I don't remember the originals, but I know I built the kit when I was 13 or 14. I do remember that it was molded in metallic blue.

3/2/21 7:33 p.m.
slefain said:

I drove a rental version around Watkins Glen during a lunch session of a BMWCCA event. Was halfway around the track from the pace car between a couple of 944s. And they weren't going slow. Most fun 7 laps ever. Top down with the stereo cranked!

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
3/2/21 8:22 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
slefain said:

I drove a rental version around Watkins Glen during a lunch session of a BMWCCA event. Was halfway around the track from the pace car between a couple of 944s. And they weren't going slow. Most fun 7 laps ever. Top down with the stereo cranked!

I had no idea such a thing existed... I TOTALLY would've done that one! 

I have a similar story around Sebring in my grandmothers 2000ish Monté Carlo... the guys in their S4 recording video in front of me were not amused. Lol! 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/21 10:49 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

There's still time! Order it already!

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
3/3/21 7:05 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

eBay only has the promo versions. :( 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/3/21 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Lots of other sources besides eBay.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/3/21 3:08 p.m.

I have a prize for the March contest. Specifically a choice of March, Penske or Reynard Indy car. All from the CART era. Comes May I plan to finish an Indy winner that I started a while back but did not get far on. More of that when the time comes.

3/3/21 8:31 p.m.

Fresh from mold release bath. Time to dry.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
3/4/21 4:00 p.m.

Right side door fitted. It gave me more trouble than the first one, and still needs more shaping to fit the contour of the body. Progress is slowed by the fact that I'm taking precautions to avoid breathing resin dust whenever I go to work on this thing. (putting on a mask and going outside in the cold so the dust won't get on anything)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/6/21 12:42 p.m.

Progress is going well so far on the Lola. I think the molds were pretty well done, but all the metallic plastic took its toll. Glad Union uses white! Also when IMC did their prototyping they were looking at the car at its second race. There are a number of different details that are evident in the Sebring photos. Especially the ridiculous "roll bar", but also the engine breathers and the exhaust system. Photos show the body changes to eliminate the tall breathers and the later roll bar.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KixsNViOkz3UbIFCQoawtVx3nDvaCNpTEoRYRsNRTClD5q32m49BOlfgNzUrhYNE