1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
8/19/15 9:17 a.m.

I hate you.

I'm curious if you could keep up that momentum for years. You'd get crazy rich crazy quick with those kinds of returns.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/19/15 9:42 a.m.

I have no idea. I don't even know how I'd behave with real money. Unfortunately, I don't have any real money in direct stocks. Got a 401k with funds and such, but nothing where I'm the driver.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
8/21/15 12:02 a.m.

I haven't kept up with this thing in a few months... WTF happened to Alcoa? Down 44% overall over the past ~5 months! AMD tanked too. So did a few energy stocks but I wasn't holding much in those so it didn't hit too hard, but DANG did AA and AMD kick me in the nuts!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
8/21/15 9:42 a.m.

Ouch. This hurts. Hope I can ride this back out in the next month, but it does not bode well.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/15 9:53 a.m.

I'm back in 6 digits of losses and yet I'm still moving up the rankings.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/21/15 10:59 a.m.
jsquared wrote: I haven't kept up with this thing in a few months... WTF happened to Alcoa? Down 44% overall over the past ~5 months! AMD tanked too. So did a few energy stocks but I wasn't holding much in those so it didn't hit too hard, but DANG did AA and AMD kick me in the nuts!

I had AA early in the game and rode it up a while prior to the f150 launch. Dumped it a little past the peak. Bought again a couple months ago thinking that it being at the 52 week low had to be a good buy. Rode it down for a while and then punted.

Apparently China has flooded the aluminum market and inventory is very high. Couple that with a manufacturing sector that is shaky, and we have Alcoa gasping for air.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/24/15 8:50 a.m.

I feel bad for my real money today.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/15 9:29 a.m.

Anyone see how I was doing in the game? Looks like the Marketwatch site is buckling under the load, I can't get the login window to work.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/24/15 9:52 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Anyone see how I was doing in the game? Looks like the Marketwatch site is buckling under the load, I can't get the login window to work.

$875k. Down 1.46% today.

Nervous dog is today's return winner, at 20%, but he's still less than zero.

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
8/24/15 1:25 p.m.

Dave is that you in first place?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/24/15 1:43 p.m.

Yep.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
8/26/15 1:44 p.m.

Damn Swank, how can you be down 10% today?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/27/15 11:18 a.m.

Looks like I might not even have to use my AK today...

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
8/27/15 11:39 a.m.

If we start another game can I request that porfolios be made public?

I want know what the heck you guys are holding and see how they differ from what I've got...because apparently I've got junk.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/27/15 12:02 p.m.
PHeller wrote: If we start another game can I request that porfolios be made public? I want know what the heck you guys are holding and see how they differ from what I've got...because apparently I've got junk.

I like the private portfolio, because it keeps folks from just copying and pasting the winning portfolio for the sake of the game. IMO, the purpose of the game is to learn how to invest / gamble independently.

That said, I also like discussion on the what's and why's - also for education. So I haven't been secretive about any of my moves. For instance, today's return for me is all TSLA. I've been wanting to make a buy for a while ahead of the Model X introduction, and I did yesterday because it seemed like the fall of the previous week may be over.

That said, it's killing me to be sitting on a 1-day 12% return and not sell to realize the gains. But I do want to be holding when the X launches. So if I sell today, it's on a bet that it dips again before the X hit's the streets. Given the market in general, I'm not sure on that.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/27/15 12:03 p.m.

And FWIW, I just created a $10k game today. I'll put up a link once I make sure it's ready to go. Playing with $1M is fun, but for me personally a $10k game is much more realistic.

mthomson22
mthomson22 UltraDork
8/27/15 12:17 p.m.

Please do!!!

jsquared
jsquared Reader
8/27/15 1:35 p.m.

I'd be in for a $10k game as well!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/27/15 3:14 p.m.

$10k game, starting 9/1 - http://www.marketwatch.com/game/sirtradealot Password is hoppeisapu55y, but those 5's are s's. Stupid filter.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
8/27/15 3:16 p.m.

a) lol

ii) What did you set "credit interest rate" to? I don't understand exactly what it is. I was going to setup a game with a few of my co-workers.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/27/15 3:30 p.m.

Credit Interest Rate: 0.00%
Leverage Debt Interest Rate: 6.00%

My understanding is that it's what you earn if your money is on the sidelines. Default was 3%, I changed it to 0%.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/27/15 3:34 p.m.
mthomson22 wrote: Damn Swank, how can you be down 10% today?

My E36 M3 is totally hosed at this point. I rode one of my stocks in a huge way down, then decided to short it, and of berkeleying course it gains in a huge way.

All bad.

And to think, i was in first for awhile.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/27/15 3:35 p.m.

Also: Looks like 89% gain today for me. That means i win, right?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/27/15 3:55 p.m.

How does it calculate a percentage gain on negative money? :)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/27/15 4:58 p.m.

Maybe THAT'S the secret!

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yIlyQFflMtEDyWYEoNa9Pt6dax4zOIoq1Qkaj39SCZenqwsXNTjxm8Pm0uz3H89f