1 ... 28 29 30 31
Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
9/27/15 2:26 a.m.

Well the original game ended.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/15 10:28 a.m.

So the original game's over, time to put the cards on the table. Of course the game ends right before one of my stocks (Alcoa) jumped! D'OH! Well here's what I had:

I stuck to those stocks throughout most of the game. Early in the game I'd shorted Twitter and Facebook stock, figuring they'd crash before the end of the game, but holding those caused wild fluctutations in my portfolio value that were stressing me out so I ditched them at a small loss. The Twitter short would've paid off nicely if I'd held onto it. Later in the game I bought some Alibaba stock and...well it seems that there's no room for an Amazon competitor.

Cheap oil really screwed me hard. Nobody saw that coming. Obviously this had a lot to do with my Yingli stock eating dirt and obviously would have some relation to Alcoa stock performance.

Predictably surfing Blackberry's corpse into its grave has been almost surprisingly profitable. It shouldn't be that easy.

IBM's been inventing a lot of interesting stuff but it doesn't seem to help their stock prices for some reason. MS was on the rebound when I bought their stock but maybe it was a bit too late.

Apple's hasn't been doing a good job of "innovating" for quite some time now, even by their fans' definition of "innovating" (making shiny, dumbed-down and locked-down copies of bleeding-edge geek tech). So I shorted them, expecting at least a steady decline if not a major crash. Still their stock price climbs.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
9/28/15 10:30 a.m.

At the end of the came, the only thing I was holding was VTI.

The only other big earners I was screwing with during the game were VHT and IBB.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
9/28/15 10:46 a.m.

How the heck do you make $3,000 on $10,000 and if so, why aren't you doing it in real life?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/19/15 5:55 a.m.

I had lots... :) In the end, I was running 1 stock (which I am still running in the other game so I can't give it away.)

The one that took me from 1st to last was a I shorted fitbit too soon. Killed me.

In the new game with buying just 1 stock, I am in the lead with 27% return ($10k buy in and I have $12.7k) Although on my account it seems to have stopped keep track of the leader board.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/19/15 10:45 a.m.

Anybody know if there are any index funds over a consistent 1%?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/19/15 10:48 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

yes

STM317
STM317 New Reader
10/20/15 8:48 a.m.

Can I still get in on the low dollar game? If so, how?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/20/15 10:03 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: $10k game, starting 9/1 - http://www.marketwatch.com/game/sirtradealot Password is hoppeisapu55y, but those 5's are s's. Stupid filter.

That's how

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
10/20/15 11:05 a.m.

I have no idea how to get the game to display updated and correct info. I assume it's still showing the standings from September for everyone?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/20/15 11:26 a.m.

Yeah

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/26/15 10:57 a.m.

Ok, post your current holdings. I am sure we will miss some here or there but then you can even it out. ON the SirTradeAlot game

I am at $15,703 (57% up) with 20 trades as of Noon 26 Oct.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/26/15 11:23 a.m.

I am convinced that Indexes are the way to go. If I don't check them for a few days, they are usually still in the green.

My other attempts at trying to buy stock have been failures. Telsa? Ugh. Pharma? Ugh. Solar? Even worse.

I'll just stick to Indexes when using my own money.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
10/26/15 11:35 a.m.

Is there some way of setting up an automatic sale if a stock hits a certain price?

Basically I've got a few stocks that are losing right now, but it seems like I always miss them when they are the green. I want to sell them when they get above a certain price so I don't lose on them.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/26/15 11:37 a.m.

Not that I know

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
10/26/15 12:20 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Is there some way of setting up an automatic sale if a stock hits a certain price? Basically I've got a few stocks that are losing right now, but it seems like I always miss them when they are the green. I want to sell them when they get above a certain price so I don't lose on them.

Limit order. Choose 'Limit' as price type instead of 'Market' or 'Stop'

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/26/15 2:35 p.m.

I sent feedback about the lack of ranking board working. Everyone might want to submit a ticket.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/3/15 11:33 a.m.

How is everyone doing? everyseems to be quite on here or are we commenting on the forum on the game

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/3/15 12:13 p.m.

I bought Tesla right before the announcement of the Model X thinking it would jump, instead it has taken a horrible dive.

The only reason I'm doing terribly is because I've got a bunch of aggressive index funds that are making up for my loses else-where.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/3/15 2:45 p.m.
PHeller wrote: I bought Tesla right before the announcement of the Model X thinking it would jump, instead it has taken a horrible dive.

Ditto. I though Musk was Midas. berkeley.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/3/15 2:48 p.m.

So anyone give hints to what Index funds that earn more than 1%?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/3/15 2:52 p.m.

Almost all of them. Any that track the S&P 500 or Total Market.

But you can't judge them by a 2 month timespan.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/3/15 6:53 p.m.

Triple-Leveraged ETF List

There is a double leverage ETF list too but I figure why on get double gains/losses when you can do triple?

Check these out just like regular stocks and look at the companies. Some of these are daily/weekly/whenever they wanna change it adjusted so you can be flying, the market is still going up and you lose half your earnings because they adjusted the price.

Some from ProShares on the other hand just started dividends. Be sure to check.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/3/15 6:56 p.m.

Are we just not gonna worry about the score till the end?

Or should we have a check in?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/4/15 10:35 a.m.

Looks like they fixed the ranking system

1 ... 28 29 30 31

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IXSzPmkUfOfKLZ4Q23xYhxWtCc24itsTzFDZnAuqAB36DpColxanvlQVdTyzO4BU