1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/13/19 1:54 p.m.

So I grab my H-F 3" cutoff tool and as I'm attaching the air hose I see "Oil Daily".  Well, I'm an infrequent user, and a more infrequent oiler.  So, being a basically conscientious guy, I put three drops of pneumatic tool oil in the inlet, reattach the air hose, and proceed.  From the first trigger pull, the tool runs slow.  I detach the air hose, rotate the tool by hand.  It drags.  Lotsa friction. 

So, WTF?  Oil makes friction?  It really can't have more than an hour or two on it.

Somebody enlighten me.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/13/19 2:07 p.m.

Since I am much like you on air tool non use and even more non oiling, the little bottle of oil that came with my cheap air tool set has sat for a very long time. Then it leaked out. I noticed that it is sticky.

Is your tool oil so old that it is sticky?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/19 2:07 p.m.

If it's like my HF air impact, there's a little foam filter in the bottom at the air intake that gets hard from non use, then gets broken up with the first few uses. 

I'm not a frequent oiler of air tools, but ran into that issue when I tried using my impact for the first time in a few months. Some hand cranking, a little shaking, then easing into the throttle got it running again.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
9/13/19 2:55 p.m.

Probably some gelled up old air tool oil if you don't use it real often.

I haven't had that issue with the Marvel Mystery Air Tool oil so far at least, though it also claims to remove all that crap.

HF air tools are great for what they are. The composite shop at my previous job had stacks of them around the shop. No point in buying the expensive ones that require oil to last because the oil blowing out the exhaust would contaminate the carbon fiber. Just buy a couple dozen at Harbor Freight and use them until they burn up.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/19 3:40 p.m.

Spray some penetrating oil in it and run it a bit then try to oil it again.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/19 9:55 p.m.

And if you’re not sure which it is, be very careful to not get it on your hootus.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ozkDaZiWDpLV1rRVvBg21bOPSnF8U17PKhb8jFxbVCF4eUFYle8jrZQNYeah3uHb