GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/17/09 2:56 p.m.

Mazda 2 coming to the US.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/17/breaking-mazda2-coming-to-the-u-s/

Possibilities of a mazda speed 2? One can dream.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
9/17/09 2:57 p.m.

answer to the Fiat coming soon???

RossD
RossD HalfDork
9/17/09 3:16 p.m.

The Fiesta looks better, IMO.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/17/09 3:21 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

But with the mazda 2 i think we have a greater chance of a 3 door option. I think the fiesta is only coming as a 5 door.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
9/17/09 4:09 p.m.

^ +1 for the 3 door, I'm sick of only getting 5 door hatches in the US. I actually think the Mazda looks better then the Ford as well. Also the Mazda will likely have a more sporting tweeked suspension out of the box as well, since they usually do, as opposed to ford versions.

I too look forward to a Mazdaspeed 2 !!!

Chris Rummel

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
9/17/09 11:28 p.m.
Rumnhammer wrote: ^ +1 for the 3 door, I'm sick of only getting 5 door hatches in the US. I actually think the Mazda looks better then the Ford as well. Also the Mazda will likely have a more sporting tweeked suspension out of the box as well, since they usually do, as opposed to ford versions. I too look forward to a Mazdaspeed 2 !!! Chris Rummel

I have little doubt that we will see a MS2 long before a fiesta RS

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
9/18/09 12:24 a.m.

I'm another three-door lover; I just can't get behind the proportions of 5-door hatches. I guess it's one of the reason's I can really get behind the Fiat 500.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
9/18/09 11:40 a.m.

It's already a done deal, the Fiesta will arrive first as a 4 door sedan, then as a 5 door hatch. I would've bought a 3 door Fiesta (just like my old '80 model), but Ford lost a sale with their decision to target family-type buyers only.

CAR magazine gives the new Fiesta 5 stars, and the Mazda 2 "only" 4. Some testers feel the Fiesta's electrically-powered steering let's it down, and the Mazda is let down (at least compared to the Ford), because it has no real performance versions/models.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey HalfDork
9/18/09 12:16 p.m.

I'd rather have a 5-door. More functional.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
9/18/09 3:46 p.m.

I place a high premium on my friends not wanting to sit in the back seat of my car. It offers a strong incentive to take someone elses car out for the night.

The seats are still back there if i need them. But with three doors it makes it a bit of pain for my friends to get in them who tend to be well over 6 feet tall.

Now that functionality.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/18/09 11:37 p.m.

Glenn, you hit the nail on the head as to why I have little to no interest in 5 door hatches, other than the Subaru WRX, the Mazdaspeed3, and the up-coming Lancer Sportback. that's part of the appeal of the normal-length Mini, sure you can fit 4 guys who are over 6' tall into one (I think anyway, never tried it), but honestly, if you're faced with crawling in the back seat through the front seat, I would imagine most would choose to pass go and collect $200 and drive your own car. same deal with the new 2 door Wrangler, I clambered into the back of one of those today, and it was doable, with a bit of monkey-barring off the factory rollcage (soft top with the top down), but it definitely would not be something I would want to do often.

anyway, back to the point of the thread, I do like the looks of the Mazda2 over the Fiesta, and I do definitely wish it came in a 3 door hatch for the US market. of course, I wish the euro-spec Focus could be had on this side of the pond, but that's another rant for another thread

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KyLwTPvSS7y16CsWCOUHgYACwBFqSM7QCkdpzTupbrPGjwRlkRiTphLkkJS0KsnW